Author Topic: Why did Democrats give Obamacare an annual marriage tax of up to $11,028 per couple?  (Read 983 times)

Offline happyg

In front of the U.S. Supreme Court, the Obama administration argued that Obamacare is a tax.

According to the Obamacare calulator, Obamacare places an annual tax on married couples for being married instead of single. The amount of this tax depends upon the ages, incomes, and parental status of the married couple.

According to the Obamacare calculator, the extreme case of this tax occurs with a 60-year-old married couple with no children, where the two spouses have identical incomes totaling $62,041 per year. Under this scenario, according to the Obamacare calculator, Obamacare gives them an annual tax of $11, 028 for being married instead of single.

Why did Democrats give Obamacare this marriage tax?

Everyone knows that whatever you tax, you get less of. For example, after the Democrats increased the cigarette tax by 61 cents per pack in 2009, John Seffrin, chief executive officer of the American Cancer Society, said:

Raising the price of tobacco products is one of the most effective approaches to encouraging people to quit and preventing kids from picking up the deadly habit in the first place.”

Mr. Seffrin’s comment makes perfect sense. Everyone knows that whatever you tax, you get less of, which is why Democrats have never, and will never, create an abortion tax.

So, why did Democrats give Obamacare an annual marriage tax of up to $11,028 per couple?

I am not a Democrat, so I cannot answer that question with 100% certainly. However, I can take my best, educated guess.

The only explanation that I can think of is that Democrats want to discourage people from being married. They want to discourage single people from getting married, and they want to encourage married people to get divorced.

If that’s not their reason, then what else could their reason possibly be?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=lf4XjzuQcO4

http://danfromsquirrelhill.wordpress.com/2013/11/13/obamacare-marriage-tax-2/