Author Topic: Boehner: we have no intention of ever going to conference on the senate bill (amnesty)  (Read 448 times)

rangerrebew

Boehner has said this kind of stuff before and then caved.  I hope he is serious but I see no more reason to believe him than I would Obama. **nononono*

roy beck

No conference with Senate bill, Boehner promises today for first time 

(WORD OF CAUTION: Despite the great news below, the threat is not over. Paul Ryan and many other national leaders of the Republican Party have not given up their hopes to pass some kind of an amnesty over the next year. Neither have Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.), House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) or Pres. Obama. We will continue to provide you ways to push back against their efforts. But for today -- CELEBRATE!)

FRIENDS, TAKE A MOMENT TO CELEBRATE WHAT I CALL A 'STEP VICTORY'

It wouldn't have happened without the grassroots actions by all of you week after week all year long -- your thousands of visits to local congressional offices, hundreds of thousands of phone calls into Congress, and millions of faxes and emails into those D.C. offices!

The NumbersUSA citizen-mobilization networks have operated at peak levels all year.

This is what House Speaker John Boehner told reporters this morning:

"And frankly, I'll make clear we have no intention of ever going to conference on the Senate bill."

Most of you understand immediately why that statement is such a big deal.

While Speaker Boehner has made a lot of helpful promises through this year -- as he has been pounded with citizen opposition to the Senate's amnesty bill -- he had steadfastly resisted any pledge that he would never engage Senate leaders in a joint conference that included their S. 744 legislation.

Ever since the Senate passed its gigantic amnesty-and-immigration-surge bill in June, we have been asking all of you to apply pressure on Members of Congress to urge Speaker Boehner to promise that he will never go into conference with Senate leaders about their bill, S. 744.

You have done this primarily by telling your own U.S. Representative why that promise would be so important to America's struggling workers. . . why it is so important that Congress not give lifetime work permits to 11 million illegal aliens and to more than 20 million other foreign citizens over the next ten years.

The pressure on Boehner has worked well as he has steadily backed farther away from some of the bold statements he made earlier in the year about wanting to pass big immigration legislation this year.

But there has remained concern that any immigration bill passed by the House would end up in a joint committee with S. 744 in the negotiations. It has been troubling that Boehner wouldn't pledge to keep that from happening.

The Washington Times today characterized Boehner's important clarification to reporters this way:

Speaker John A. Boehner said Wednesday that House Republicans will not enter into negotiations with the Senate on that chamber's massive immigration bill, effectively killing chances this year for a broad bill that would legalize illegal immigrants and rewrite the legal immigration system.

Mr. Boehner, Ohio Republican, said the House will operate on its own timetable and won't be rushed by President Obama's suggested year-end deadline or the looming 2014 elections -- though he said he does still want to take some action on immigration.

"We've made it clear that we're going to move on a common sense, step-by-step approach in terms of how we deal with immigration," Mr. Boehner, Ohio Republican, told reporters Wednesday. "The idea that we're going to take up a 1,300-page bill that no one had ever read, which is what the Senate did, is not going to happen in the House. And frankly, I'll make clear we have no intention of ever going to conference on the Senate bill."

Your victory in persuading Boehner to make this pledge is all the more impressive considering that the uncontrolled-immigration lobbies have spent tens of millions of dollars this year pressuring Boehner to do the opposite.

Offline Rapunzel

already posted twice in politics.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776