Author Topic: Israel warns 'bad deal' with Iran could lead to war as Congress weighs action  (Read 614 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Via Fox News: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/11/14/israel-warns-bad-deal-with-iran-could-lead-to-war-as-congress-weighs-action/

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said on Wednesday that a "bad deal" between Iran and international negotiators seeking to prevent Tehran from being able to assemble an atomic weapons arsenal could lead to war.

Addressing Israel's parliament in Jerusalem, Netanyahu said continued economic pressure on Iran was the best alternative to two other options, which he described as a bad deal and military action, Reuters and The Jerusalem Post reported.

"I would go so far as to say that a bad deal could lead to the second, undesired option," Netanyahu said, referring to war. "Iran is under great economic pressure and the advantage is with those who are pressing. There is no reason to give in to Iran's demands now."   

Netanyahu's comments came as the Obama administration faced skepticism from members of Congress over efforts to strike a nuclear pact. Both Obama and Netanyahu have repeatedly warned Iran about the potential for military action if negotiations fail. The allies differ, however, over how any diplomatic solution should look.

Secretary of State John Kerry warned Congress Wednesday against scuttling a historic opportunity for a nuclear pact with Iran by pressing ahead with new sanctions while international negotiators seek to prevent Tehran from being able to assemble an atomic weapons arsenal.

At a House Foreign Affairs Committee hearing Wednesday, Democratic and Republican lawmakers sharply criticized Kerry and other senior U.S. officials for their offer during last week's inconclusive negotiations.

"The Iranian regime hasn't paused its nuclear program," lamented Rep. Ed Royce, R-Calif., the House Foreign Affairs Committee chairman. "Why should we pause our sanctions efforts as the administration is pressuring Congress to do?"

More at link.

Will Obama and Kerry listen? I highly doubt it.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink