Author Topic: Why Republicans Lose in Urban Areas  (Read 1018 times)

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Why Republicans Lose in Urban Areas
« on: November 12, 2013, 05:22:12 pm »
November 12, 2013
Why Republicans Lose in Urban Areas
By Alicia Colon

See also: The Coming Hispanic Civil Rights Movement

Fourteen years ago, I was asked to be a keynote speaker at the Richmond County Women's Republican Club annual dinner. I had started my column at the Staten Island Advance the year before, and as an Hispanic who had grown up in Spanish Harlem, many Republicans were surprised that I was a conservative.

It was my first speaking engagement and one I accepted reluctantly, but I felt that it was an opportunity to offer some advice to the Republican Party about winning over the voters in the barrios and the inner city. While my speech brought applause and cheers from the assemblage and politicians present, they didn't take my advice in the subsequent local elections. After the thousand columns I've written since for the New York Sun, Breitbart Bigs (Government, Journalism and Hollywood) and the late Irish Examiner USA newspaper and other conservative blog sites, the GOP still remains tone-deaf.   

I am a true city slicker born in Manhattan and in my lifetime a denizen of many less than affluent neighborhoods. Even though I am now a Staten Island homeowner, I live near a notorious housing project that a few years ago sheltered two cop-killers. I know the people who live in the neighborhoods that Republicans ignore because they consider the Democratic strongholds a lost cause. I also know why these districts vote Democrat and despise Republicans. It has nothing to do with race.

I became politically aware as a high schooler enthralled by JFK and the possibility of a Catholic president. The nuns at the school were also hopeful for his presidency. The sad truth is that the media who loved him kept his personal peccadilloes quiet and if they hadn't, he never would have won that close election, involve us in Vietnam or been assassinated.  The fourth estate continues its liberal defense of like-minded politicians to this day.

At that GOP dinner and in many later columns, I spoke of growing up in the barrio where Democratic social clubs abounded but a Republican presence was nonexistent. The only Republican at that time who bothered with our issues was Sen. Jacob Javits, whom my mother contacted when my Marine brother ran into difficulty overseas.

I live in one of the few Democrat strongholds on the North Shore of Staten Island, the most conservative borough of New York City.  Republicans never campaign here even though the candidates have positions that would appeal to the minorities here. I have suggested that Republicans hold town hall meetings at a local community center operated by a black Baptist Church.  They need to listen to the concerns of the people and rather than promise them the moon, treat them with respect.

This past election for City Council had Debi Rose, the incumbent, running against a white lawyer, Mark Macro. I sent him emails suggesting he come to a local festival and make his presence known. He didn't. Naturally he lost even though Ms. Rose has been an ineffective councilwoman who neglects the homeowners and taxpayers in her district.  Like all Democrats she knows that it will be those getting government assistance that will keep her in office.

The races in Virginia and New York City could have been won on the issues if only the GOP establishment knew how to spend their billions and hired the right spokespersons. Too many of the elite look down at Democratic voters as ignorant fools incapable of knowing what's good for them. That attitude is a mirror image and just as diametrically wrong as the one held by ideological liberals who want to take control of our lives.

I look at these voters as victims of self-serving demagogues in the political world and the mainstream media. The fact that the Republicans have always been the leader of civil rights and the Democrats have been the party of the KKK, Jim Crow and Bull Conner has been twisted repeatedly by MSNBC anchors.

This subterfuge works and the GOP needs to spread the truth to the low-info voter, but only if they use different spokespersons. We have talented minority conservatives like Alfonzo Rachel, Lloyd Marcus, Deneen Borelli, and Star Parker who deserve recognition because they have lived and survived the same circumstances that still exist in the inner cities and barrios today.

Republicans simply do not know how to market their message and until they get off their high horse and walk among those on the ground, they will lose.

Read more: http://www.americanthinker.com/2013/11/why_republicans_lose_in_urban_areas.html
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline happyg

Re: Why Republicans Lose in Urban Areas
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2013, 05:47:14 pm »
Good article! Too many republicans who concentrate in the swing states, ignore the inner cities because they assume, and rightly so, they won't get the majority votes. Even so, they just might get a few votes, and a few votes in many cities add up, and can make a difference in states where the votes are close. Minorities will have more respect for anyone who takes the time to speak to them and listen.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2013, 05:55:05 pm »
Good article! Too many republicans who concentrate in the swing states, ignore the inner cities because they assume, and rightly so, they won't get the majority votes. Even so, they just might get a few votes, and a few votes in many cities add up, and can make a difference in states where the votes are close. Minorities will have more respect for anyone who takes the time to speak to them and listen.

It's called "Preaching to the Choir"!

We spend FAR to much time doing that instead of educating those in need of educating!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline olde north church

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2013, 06:33:04 pm »
RINO!
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Offline PzLdr

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2013, 06:51:49 pm »
Once again, we are told that [a] we have to pursue the ______________ minority vote [pick your ethnic group] because they share our values, suffer under Dimocrat rule, have the same issues we do, and live with the failure of current policies, and that we have to make special efforts to reach out, and campaign in their areas. Why? .

Excuse me. If things in the 'hood' are so so friggin' bad, why aren't they voting for the 'other guys', you know conservatives or the GOP without the requirement of a kowtow. They can't travel to rallies outside their community to hear what the other guys are saying? They can't vote for the non-Dim candidate based on their own research, and their own observation of Dim failure?

Hispanics are voting for the Dims in increasing numbers. Consider their ostensible Catholic values with the Dim position on abortion. They need a 'Pubbie at their community center to point that out? How does that old Conservative 'law and order' value line up with their staggering support for illegal aliens [a non-sunderable phrase if you're law and order].

So as far as thge author, I'm from Missouri - Show Me - before claiming that time and resources are going to change what my eyes see.
Hillary's Self-announced Qualifications: She Stood Up To Putin...She Sits to Pee

Offline aligncare

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2013, 07:11:56 pm »
Someone once said 80 percent of success is showing up.

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2013, 11:21:08 pm »
Too many of the elite look down at Democratic voters as ignorant fools incapable of knowing what's good for them.
Well, if the shoe fits...
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2013, 03:37:43 am »
Article title:
[[ Why Republicans Lose in Urban Areas... ]]

Republicans lose in urban areas because those places are increasingly populated by demographics that are not, never were, and never will be "conservative".

The demographic groups in question are sufficiently different enough from those who _are_ conservative (Euro-Americans of Christian descent) that they do not and for all practical purposes cannot share, adapt and embrace the traditional value systems that represent the Euro-American heritage.

This is not to say that there are _some_ of such groups who have a conservative bent -- of course there are. However, they are the exceptions that prove the rule. They will always represent but a small minority of their total demographic.

Conservatism _cannot_ change to make itself "more attractive" to these groups. If it contorts itself attempting to do so, the resulting party won't be conservative no mo'.

When will we learn?