Author Topic: A Mass Shooting Happened This Week In Detroit, But You Probably Didn't Hear About It  (Read 1075 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Via HuffPo: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/11/11/mass-shooting-detroit_n_4250706.html

A mass shooting happened on Wednesday, but you probably didn't read about it in the news.

It happened at Al's Place, a barbershop. There was a back room in the salon where men would often gather to gamble, get a haircut and just talk. Wednesday was a "crumbs" dice game, only $5 and $10 bills allowed.

That afternoon, two men drove up in Chevrolet Impalas; one white, one black. They began exchanging gunfire.

One of them shot their high-powered rifle through the open door where the men were playing dice. The shots kept coming, at least 30 or 40 of them.

The men tried to run. Some of them hit the ground, crawling from the bullets whizzing through the air. But the door leading from the gambling room to the barbershop opened inward, and that slowed the crowd pushing to get out. Someone had a gun and fired back at the shooters. Customers were running for their lives.

The cops arrived two minutes after being called. They found two dead people and at least seven injured. A third injured man would later die at the hospital. One person of interest in the crimes was arrested Thursday after he allegedly assaulted a federal officer while wearing body armor. He has not yet been charged in connection with the barbershop slayings.

The three men who died at Al's Place on Wednesday were Elaine Williams' son, brother and nephew. But Williams hasn't been profiled by any national media outlets. Her story hasn't been widely shared yet, and it probably won't be, because the shooting happened in Detroit.

Shootings involving low-income people don't often become national media stories, says ThinkProgress:

Gun crimes often occur in low-income neighborhoods with largely non-white victims, but, from the news, you’d think every shooting put the white and affluent at risk of violence. There’s an obvious reason from a producer’s perspective: They want traffic, or viewers, and think they can get more if more well-off news consumers are self-concerned with the story. But it doesn’t reflect the reality of gun violence in the United States, where black people are far more likely to be victims of gun homicides compared to their white counterparts.

Last week, a gunman fired rounds in a New Jersey mall before taking his own life. There were no other casualties. The mall story made headlines around the nation.

More at link, including video report.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

rangerrebew

I have a black friend who was visiting Detroit and was waiting for a stoplight at about 11 PM.  Suddenly a cop was behind him with flashers going.  The cop came to the guy's window and said, you're not from Detroit, are you?  Of course my friend said no sir.  The cop then said I could tell since no one from Detroit actually waits at a stop light, its too dangerous.  Just a charming story about the place.

I know the article wasn't about that but the story is correct in that black on black crime doesn't creative any incentive to buy a paper, or put another way, sell advertising.  Its as common the sun rising in the morning.  But somehow people of the ilk of Al Sharptongue and J$ss$ J$cks$n expect me to feel guilt that it is something I could prevent, or should, because I'm white.  That crap doesn't work with me.  Buy the way, did you know J$ss$ J$cks$n once had the tires on his SUV ripped off while giving a speech in Detroit? :silly:

Offline xfreeper

They began exchanging gunfire.

Exchanging suggests someone is firing back at you. It doesn't sound like that was the case

Offline GourmetDan

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline olde north church

From what I understand, the barber shop is THE place to be in those communities.
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Offline GourmetDan

Buy the way, did you know J$ss$ J$cks$n once had the tires on his SUV ripped off while giving a speech in Detroit? :silly:

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan