Author Topic: Heat a Room For Only Fifteen Cents Per Day!!  (Read 2689 times)

Online DCPatriot

Heat a Room For Only Fifteen Cents Per Day!!
« on: November 12, 2013, 10:53:32 AM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brHqBcZqNzE" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brHqBcZqNzE</a>

http://www.naturalcuresnotmedicine.com/2013/11/heat-your-room-for-15-cents-day.html
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 10:54:29 AM by DCPatriot »
"We must take sides...Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented" ...Elie Wiesel, 1960

"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"If you want to change the world, go home and love your family".    ...Mother Teresa

Offline GourmetDan

Re: Heat a Room For Only Fifteen Cents Per Day!!
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2013, 10:59:51 AM »

I don't see how that will emit any more heat than just burning the candle...

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"April Fools Day is the one day of the year that people critically evaluate news articles before accepting them as true." - Unknown

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2013, 11:18:14 AM »

The clay absorbs heat and becomes a 'radiator' of sorts?

The drain hole that is covered on the smaller clay pot causes convection heat and all the pent-up heat heats the larger one.

I think..... :laugh:
"We must take sides...Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented" ...Elie Wiesel, 1960

"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"If you want to change the world, go home and love your family".    ...Mother Teresa

Offline flowers

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2013, 11:19:10 AM »
for later

Online EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Conspiracy engineer. Low rates.
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2013, 11:23:10 AM »
Simple and cheap - love it!

The clay absorbs heat and becomes a 'radiator' of sorts?

The drain hole that is covered on the smaller clay pot causes convection heat and all the pent-up heat heats the larger one.

I think..... :laugh:

Exactly - most of the time with a candle, the heat heads straight up. Nice if you can walk on the ceiling, but not much use to us mere mortals. The pot acts as a heat sink, trapping most of the heat and releasing it by radiation rather than convection.
The fastest way to a man's heart? Inch to the right of the breastbone, between the fourth and fifth rib.

Every time I start to feel boring, I remember there is a monthly magazine devoted to elevators.

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Ford289HiPo

• Don't take life seriously; No one gets out alive
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2013, 11:50:34 AM »
Now, to find a way to make that work in a 35 x 20x 13ft greenhouse without melting the plastic covering or roasting the plants.   :pondering:
I just got a face full of obama.

I wonder when the lies will stop and truth begin, even as grim as the truth may be. And then I remember that for 70 years, the reign of terror in Russia called itself "the people's government." We have so far to fall, yet we are falling fast and Hell yawns to receive us.

Online EC

• Shanghaied Editor
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2013, 11:52:42 AM »
Now, to find a way to make that work in a 35 x 20x 13ft greenhouse without melting the plastic covering or roasting the plants.   :pondering:

Simple. Dig a small pit in the middle. Put the heater in it and surround it with broken clay pots or slate or broken glass. Acts as a heat sink.
The fastest way to a man's heart? Inch to the right of the breastbone, between the fourth and fifth rib.

Every time I start to feel boring, I remember there is a monthly magazine devoted to elevators.

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2013, 12:03:18 PM »
Simple. Dig a small pit in the middle. Put the heater in it and surround it with broken clay pots or slate or broken glass. Acts as a heat sink.

Eggsactly!

Same concept, but on a crude, larger scale!

As an aside, I have purchased several electric room heaters from COSTCO, that are totally silent and efficient as all get out!   They're $60.

Here's the link for another source and at a higher cost:  http://www.efireplacestore.com/prhepaelsphe.html?productid=prhepaelsphe&channelid=FROOG&gclid=CIGggN7c37oCFQ7xOgod8gEAQw

Of course it won't work if the electrical grid is interrupted....but as a money saver....it beats the hell out of having your central system turn on constantly. 

Online EC

• Shanghaied Editor
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2013, 03:50:46 PM »
Actually saw something neat, specifically for greenhouses. Plastic pipe going from a heat sink of crushed glass to almost the roof, with a solar powered fan to pull the hot air down the pipe and into the heat sink. Totally automatic, since it would start up as the sun rose, and during the day, the heat sink would get warm enough to keep the frost away all night.

Offline Ford289HiPo

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2013, 09:54:08 AM »

Problem.....there's a 13ft papaya there, pepper plants on either side, and raised beds along the edges.

I wonder when the lies will stop and truth begin, even as grim as the truth may be. And then I remember that for 70 years, the reign of terror in Russia called itself "the people's government." We have so far to fall, yet we are falling fast and Hell yawns to receive us.

Online EC

• Shanghaied Editor
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2013, 09:57:35 AM »
Problem.....there's a 13ft papaya there, pepper plants on either side, and raised beds along the edges.

No room at all for a heat sink?

How about doing the poor mans version. You have a pathway in the greenhouse - cover it with an inch or so of crushed slate. (gravel doesn't work as well.)

Edit to fix spelling.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 09:58:18 AM by EC »

Offline rustynail

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2013, 10:03:03 AM »
Before Nixon's EPA 15 cents worth of electricity would easily heat a home.

Offline Ford289HiPo

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2013, 10:32:28 AM »
No room at all for a heat sink?

How about doing the poor mans version. You have a pathway in the greenhouse - cover it with an inch or so of crushed slate. (gravel doesn't work as well.)

Edit to fix spelling.

The pathway is covered in cedar mulch. It's the only think that will inhibit the weed growth.

OTOH, I have a 6ft diameter stock pond on one end for the hydroponics. I've been considering putting a waterbed heater under it to heat the water and use that as a heat sink. Realistically, the greenhouse loses heat real quick at night. The winter before last, I spent around $400 on propane during a cold spell.
The plastic skin doesn't hold heat, but will melt real easily.

Offline Bigun

• The income tax: Root of all evil!
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2013, 10:38:01 AM »
The pathway is covered in cedar mulch. It's the only think that will inhibit the weed growth.

OTOH, I have a 6ft diameter stock pond on one end for the hydroponics. I've been considering putting a waterbed heater under it to heat the water and use that as a heat sink. Realistically, the greenhouse loses heat real quick at night. The winter before last, I spent around $400 on propane during a cold spell.

How about a couple of electric stock pond heaters http://www.123ponds.com/p429.html and a small fan blowing over the surface of the pond?
« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 10:41:35 AM by Bigun »
“It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere.” —Voltaire

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2013, 10:41:34 AM »

You are correct.  Heat is a quantifiable unit of measure as is the potential heat content of a fuel.  Heat can not be created out of nothing.  What matters is the heat value of the fuel, the amount of fuel being consumed, and time.  Everything being equal, the flame is the flame.   
For the progressive, there is very little to love about the United States. Washington, Jefferson, Madison? A bunch of rotten slaveholders, hypocrites, and cowards even when their hearts were in the right places. The Declaration of Independence? A manifesto for the propertied classes. The Constitution? An artifact of sexism and white supremacy. The sacrifices in the great wars of the 20th century? Feeding the poor and the disenfranchised into the meat-grinder of imperialism. The gifts of Carnegie, Rockefeller, Vanderbilt, Morgan, Astor? Blood money from self-aggrandizing robber barons. Nat Rev

Offline Scottftlc

• Certified free of TDS
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2013, 10:49:39 AM »
Hell, if you have a menopausal wife, you can heat a room for nothing a day.  The a/c cost in winter, however, will break you.
Well, George Lewis told the Englishman, the Italian and the Jew
You can't open your mind, boys, to every conceivable point of view

...Bob Dylan

Online EC

• Shanghaied Editor
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2013, 11:13:05 AM »

For the path - weed control fabric and stone on top of it. Dirt cheap and works wonders - we use it in the strawberry bed.

For insulation - you tried bubble wrap?

Offline flowers

« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2013, 12:40:08 PM »
Hell, if you have a menopausal wife, you can heat a room for nothing a day.  The a/c cost in winter, however, will break you.
:silly:

Offline Ford289HiPo

« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2013, 04:38:49 AM »
How about a couple of electric stock pond heaters http://www.123ponds.com/p429.html and a small fan blowing over the surface of the pond?

That's an idea. It would probably keep the greenhouse above freezing. 
I was trying to stay away from electrical devices since my electric bill already runs around $200 a month.
1500 watts seems like a lot for a tank that size though.

Offline Ford289HiPo

« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2013, 04:42:19 AM »
For the path - weed control fabric and stone on top of it. Dirt cheap and works wonders - we use it in the strawberry bed.

For insulation - you tried bubble wrap?

Wed fabric didn't work. The Johnson grass grew right through it. I ended up laying some indoor carpeting and spreading the cedar mulch on top of it. I have hundreds of cedar trees on my property, so cedar mulch is cheap.

I haven't tried bubble wrap. For a greenhouse the size of mine, it would be expensive.

Offline Bigun

• The income tax: Root of all evil!
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2013, 09:09:11 AM »
That's an idea. It would probably keep the greenhouse above freezing. 
I was trying to stay away from electrical devices since my electric bill already runs around $200 a month.
1500 watts seems like a lot for a tank that size though.

I'm sure they have smaller ones as well but to be honest I haven't looked.
“It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere.” —Voltaire

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf