Author Topic: No love for NY Times op-ed writer whose insurance was cancelled  (Read 1324 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
No love for NY Times op-ed writer whose insurance was cancelled
« on: November 12, 2013, 02:01:07 pm »
http://www.americanthinker.com/printpage/?url=http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2013/11/no_love_for_ny_times_op-ed_writer_whos_insurance_was_cancelled.html

November 11, 2013
No love for NY Times op-ed writer whose insurance was cancelled
Rick Moran

Perhaps the most entertaining facet of watching the scales fall from liberals' eyes about Obamacare is the absolute shock they experience when their liberal friends chastise them for complaining.

Lori Gottlieb, a contributing editor for The Atlantic and a psychotherapist, writes in the NY Times about her conversation with Blue Anthem insurance and the reaction by her "friends" on Facebook when she posted about it:

THE Anthem Blue Cross representative who answered my call told me that there was a silver lining in the cancellation of my individual P.P.O. policy and the $5,400 annual increase that I would have to pay for the Affordable Care Act-compliant option: now if I have Stage 4 cancer or need a sex-change operation, I'd be covered regardless of pre-existing conditions. Never mind that the new provider network would eliminate coverage for my and my son's long-term doctors and hospitals.

The Anthem rep cheerily explained that despite the company's -- I paraphrase -- draconian rates and limited network, my benefits, which also include maternity coverage (handy for a 46-year-old), would "be actually much richer."

[...]

"Obamacare or Kafkacare?" I posted on Facebook as soon as I hung up with Anthem. I vented about the call and wrote that the president should be protecting the middle class, not making our lives substantially harder. For extra sympathy, I may have thrown in the fact that I'm a single mom. (O.K., I did.)

Then I sat back and waited for the love to pour in. Or at least the "like." Lots of likes. After all, I have 1,037 Facebook friends. Surely, they'd commiserate.

Except that they didn't.

Instead, aside from my friend David, who attempted to cheer me up with, "My dad, who never turns down a bargain, would take the sex change just because it's free," my respondents implied -- in posts that, to my annoyance, kept getting more "likes" -- that it was beyond uncool to be whining about myself when the less fortunate would finally have insurance.

"The nation has been better off," wrote one friend. "Over 33 million people who did not have insurance are now going to get it." That's all fine and good for "the nation," but what about my $5,400 rate hike (after-tax dollars, I wanted to add, but dared not in this group of previously closeted Mother Teresas)? Another friend wrote, "Yes, I'm paying an extra 200 a month, but I'm okay with doing that so that others who need it can have health care."

I was shocked. Who knew my friends were such humanitarians? Has Obamacare made it un-P.C. to be concerned by a serious burden on my family's well-being?

Poor, lost, little liberal. She still doesn't get it. It isn't just Obamacare for which your concern should be for the poor - it's everything. The redistribution of wealth should be celebrated - even if it is murderously ruinous to your family's financial condition. The is is the credo of the radical communitarians that the US is now being run by. Individual rights, indivdual concerns are "selfish." So get with the program and feel good about your sacrifices.

A dose of reality that's come a little late for this liberal.

Daring to Complain About Obamacare
By LORI GOTTLIEB
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Oceander

Re: No love for NY Times op-ed writer whose insurance was cancelled
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2013, 02:13:09 pm »
:bigsilly:

Otherwise known as:  A liberal steps into the real world for the first time.

Offline Relic

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2013, 02:17:57 pm »
A dose of reality that's come a little late for this liberal.

THIS is the silver lining for me. It's the small bit of pleasure that I can draw from watching my country destroyed and watching the American people willingly submit to communism.

This person, and millions like her voted for this, assuming they were voting to eat the rich. They wanted to soak those evil rich, and get some "fairness". This person, and those like her, were just too stupid, too uneducated, and willfully blind to the fact that there aren't enough rich, and to pay for those massive programs, the middle class will be made poor.

Shared misery is not misery at all.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2013, 02:25:07 pm »
The vast majority of Americans will side with Gottlieb and not her mushy liberal "friends." 

I am not my brother's keeper when it comes to paying for sex change operations for those who previously couldn't afford one.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2013, 02:38:11 pm »
I was shocked. Who knew my friends were such humanitarians? Has Obamacare made it un-P.C. to be concerned by a serious burden on my family's well-being?

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2013, 03:41:30 pm »
The vast majority of Americans will side with Gottlieb and not her mushy liberal "friends." 

I am not my brother's keeper when it comes to paying for sex change operations for those who previously couldn't afford one.

Agreed. I hold somewhat different views to most here, in that I don't mind kicking in a few extra a month to cover urgent medical procedures for those who can't afford it. It's probably the years of programming from socialized medicine.  :laugh: Life saving procedures - fine. Life style procedures? Pay for them yourself.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Relic

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2013, 03:21:21 pm »
Agreed. I hold somewhat different views to most here, in that I don't mind kicking in a few extra a month to cover urgent medical procedures for those who can't afford it. It's probably the years of programming from socialized medicine.  :laugh: Life saving procedures - fine. Life style procedures? Pay for them yourself.

You're not alone. We all paid in the old system, but it was a really goofy set up. The poor go to the ER, the bill is forgiven, the government kicked in for money to hospitals for charity work, and hospitals raised prices overall to cover the losses.

I reject the mandate, it's unconstitutional. However, if you told me that my insurance was X% higher to cover those who needed it, I'd grudgingly accept it. I hate that we have professional welfare families. Generations of people who see welfare as their raison d'etre. But, sometimes you have to swallow hard and accept the bad in order to do good.

Unfortunately Obamacare fixes nothing, and complicates everything.