Author Topic: How States Rejecting the Medicaid Expansion Sabotaged Their Biggest Cities  (Read 341 times)

Offline Rapunzel

Offline Rapunzel

Re: How States Rejecting the Medicaid Expansion Sabotaged Their Biggest Cities
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2013, 09:03:01 PM »
Real News on The Blaze had a very interesting segment on Medicaid tonight.  They had an intelligent discussion about medicaid and why in the end people are better off not having insurance than medicaid - because at least in an emergency a non-insured can still get treatment, but if you present with medicaid you get shuffled and shuffled around and can get really ill before receiving proper treatment.  One example they gave was a man who had a dental infection.. he had an abscess and had to wait to be seen by a dentist who took medicaid, but the time he was seen the infection had spread to his brain and he had to be referred to a neuro - and wait for the appt with the neuro - by the time he was seen and they attempted treatment via surgery over a $100K in MEDICAID dollars later the man died. 

They discussed one reason 65% of doctors refuse to take medicaid is the low reimbursement rate.  I've mentioned the low rate here several times, the average payment for a visit is around $16.  Doctors cannot afford to treat medicaid patients because the cost of staff, office, insurance, etc., exceeds what they can make and stay in business treating a patient covered by medicaid.  What I didn't know is the reason reimbursment is so low and never changes.  The fee was set in 1965 when they started medicaid and to change the fee requires an act of congress... so it just never gets changed and fewer and fewer doctors are willing to take an insurance our government is pushing more and more into.

Offline Oceander

• Technical
  • TBR Illuminati
Re: How States Rejecting the Medicaid Expansion Sabotaged Their Biggest Cities
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2013, 12:08:54 AM »
Medicaid is Obamacare, only Obastardcare will end up being orders of magnitude worse.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf