Author Topic: Annapolis Council To Consider Stripping Republican Mayor-Elect’s Power  (Read 1422 times)

Offline flowers

http://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2013/11/10/annapolis-council-to-consider-stripping-republican-mayor-elects-power/

ANNAPOLIS, Md. (AP) — Days after a Republican was elected mayor of Annapolis, City Council members say they will revisit legislation that would strip the mayor’s office of much of its power.

Democratic Alderman Ross Arnett of Ward 8 tells The Capital he will introduce a charter amendment to move Annapolis to a council-manager style of government. The city manager would report directly to the City Council, not the mayor.

Under Arnett’s legislation, the mayor’s post would be largely ceremonial. The mayor would retain a single vote on the council. Arnett says the change would stabilize the city’s management.

If the measure is approved, it would mean the Democratic-dominated council would be removing the powers of the first Republican mayor elected since 1997.

Offline happyg

Re: Annapolis Council To Consider Stripping Republican Mayor-Elect’s Power
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2013, 09:52:40 pm »
The democrats don't want to cede any power, and will do whatever they can to accomplish it.

Offline flowers

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2013, 09:57:13 pm »
The democrats don't want to cede any power, and will do whatever they can to accomplish it.
very true

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2013, 02:15:30 am »
I wish both parties were as strident about ceding power.

Oceander

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2013, 04:44:51 am »

Of course not.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2013, 03:15:52 am »
happyg writes:
[[ The democrats don't want to cede any power, and will do whatever they can to accomplish it. ]]

I kind of wonder if we aren't going to see something like this played out on a national scale in D.C., as 2016 draws closer....

Offline Carling

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2013, 04:45:31 am »
happyg writes:
[[ The democrats don't want to cede any power, and will do whatever they can to accomplish it. ]]

I kind of wonder if we aren't going to see something like this played out on a national scale in D.C., as 2016 draws closer....

Maybe if Obama somehow has a 70% approval rating.  As it is now, he'll be lucky to make it through his second term without resigning, IMO.  He's the most incompetent, yet egotistical, boob I've ever seen in politics.  He's worse than John Kerry or John McCain, and that says a lot.
Trump has created a cult and looks more and more like Hitler every day.
-----------------------------------------------

Oceander

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2013, 05:50:49 am »
Maybe if Obama somehow has a 70% approval rating.  As it is now, he'll be lucky to make it through his second term without resigning, IMO.  He's the most incompetent, yet egotistical, boob I've ever seen in politics.  He's worse than John Kerry or John McCain, and that says a lot.

Sorry, but he's ... (drum roll please)

THE FIRST BLACK PRESIDENT

So he can do no harm, no matter how much damage he does or how incompetent he is.  His approval rating is worth zilch because the people who control the reins of power right now - the democrats and certain moderate republican enablers they have - do not want anything bad to happen to him and so it won't.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2013, 06:19:57 am »
I agree. Even if Obama were – and he is – the most monumental failure of a Pres. in history, the history books will never reflect that truth. Because the politically correct masterminds of government will most certainly ensure the first black president in history is seen as a success. There is too much invested in that "fact."

Oceander

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2013, 06:24:27 am »
I agree. Even if Obama were – and he is – the most monumental failure of a Pres. in history, the history books will never reflect that truth. Because the politically correct masterminds of government will most certainly ensure the first black president in history is seen as a success. There is too much invested in that "fact."

The history books will eventually reflect the truth - they almost always do - the trouble is that "eventually" in this instance probably means longer than either you or I have left on this planet.  We'll be shuffling off this mortal coil before historians finally get enough freedom from today's political fascists to write the real history of the Obama (mal)administration.