Offline Oceander

• Technical
  • TBR Illuminati
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2013, 10:43:05 AM »
Seriously?

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2013, 10:51:52 AM »
Lord of the Flies time for our society.
For the progressive, there is very little to love about the United States. Washington, Jefferson, Madison? A bunch of rotten slaveholders, hypocrites, and cowards even when their hearts were in the right places. The Declaration of Independence? A manifesto for the propertied classes. The Constitution? An artifact of sexism and white supremacy. The sacrifices in the great wars of the 20th century? Feeding the poor and the disenfranchised into the meat-grinder of imperialism. The gifts of Carnegie, Rockefeller, Vanderbilt, Morgan, Astor? Blood money from self-aggrandizing robber barons. Nat Rev

Offline xfreeper

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2013, 11:26:19 AM »
I will almost always stop if I see a disabled vehicle on the side of the road. I will park about 150 feet behind the other car even if it means circling back around and even if that means driving to the next exit on the freeway and returning. I want a clear vision of anything going on around the vehicle and I usually have a firearm with me. I'll wait for the person to walk back and I tell them I will not get out of the vehicle but I will gladly call for help and stay there until it arrives. If they don't walk back, and I don't blame them, I will make the call and just wait.

Offline Oceander

• Technical
  • TBR Illuminati
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2013, 11:37:09 AM »
I will almost always stop if I see a disabled vehicle on the side of the road. I will park about 150 feet behind the other car even if it means circling back around and even if that means driving to the next exit on the freeway and returning. I want a clear vision of anything going on around the vehicle and I usually have a firearm with me. I'll wait for the person to walk back and I tell them I will not get out of the vehicle but I will gladly call for help and stay there until it arrives. If they don't walk back, and I don't blame them, I will make the call and just wait.

Safety first, second, and last.  Probably good to make the call in any event:  if they're up to no good, the sooner somebody gets them to move, the better - there are some uses for cops - and if they're not, they may simply be too afraid of the car that went by and then came back and parked way behind them to get out; after all, from their perspective you could be a predator as much as you could be a savior.

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2013, 11:39:02 AM »
Safety first, second, and last.  Probably good to make the call in any event:  if they're up to no good, the sooner somebody gets them to move, the better - there are some uses for cops - and if they're not, they may simply be too afraid of the car that went by and then came back and parked way behind them to get out; after all, from their perspective you could be a predator as much as you could be a savior.

A little profiling would have gone a long way in circumstances like this one...

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline olde north church

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2013, 11:42:39 AM »
A little profiling would have gone a long way in circumstances like this one...

Why is it all right to profile serial killers but not other potential law breakers?
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Offline Oceander

• Technical
  • TBR Illuminati
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2013, 11:46:55 AM »
Why is it all right to profile serial killers but not other potential law breakers?

I see no reason why profiling, applied judiciously and with reason by people trained to do so, should not be used for all manner of important situations.  In fact, the skilled application of profiling could save more then a few people from the pain, humiliation, and expense of being wrongfully accused and/or arrested for something they did not do.

Offline xfreeper

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2013, 11:49:06 AM »

Yes I totally get that. Many times I have sat on the hwy in the dark with my highbeams on behind a car that is pulled over. It doesn't surprise me if they don't come back. I wouldn't and I regret any alarm I may be causing them but it's the best I can do under the circumstances.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2013, 11:51:31 AM »
I really didn't want to click on this story.   **nononono* 
A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2013, 11:51:36 AM »

Cause serial killers are typically white...

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf