Author Topic: 6 Weird Ways Your Environment Affects How Much You Eat  (Read 1403 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
6 Weird Ways Your Environment Affects How Much You Eat
« on: November 11, 2013, 08:50:43 am »
If you're trying to resist the mashed potatoes, macaroni and cheese and bacon at the buffet, you might want to try filling your plate with fruits and vegetables first, a new study suggests.

Researchers at Cornell University found that when people ate healthy foods first at a buffet, they consumed fewer high-calorie foods later on in the meal.

"The first three food items a person encountered in the buffet comprised 66 percent of their total plate, regardless of whether the items were high or low-calorie foods," study researcher Brian Wansink, a behavioral economist and professor at the University, said in a statement.

The study, published in the journal PLOS ONE, included 124 people who were eating at one of two breakfast buffets. In the first buffet, healthy foods like low-fat yogurt, low-fat granola and fruit were presented first. In the second, unhealthier foods such as cheesy eggs, bacon and fried potatoes were presented first. All the diners were told they could only make one trip to the buffet.

Researchers found that nearly all the participants offered the fruit first -- 86 percent -- took it. But when the fruit was offered last, only about half -- 54 percent -- took it.

Meanwhile, when the cheesy eggs were offered first, 75 percent of the diners took them. But when they were offered last, only 29 percent did. Plus, when cheesy eggs were offered first, researchers found that people were more likely to also take the fried potatoes and bacon. However, fruit being offered first was not linked with a higher likelihood of taking any of the other foods.

"There's an easy take-away here for us … always start at the healthier end of the buffet," Wansink added in the statement. "Two-thirds of your plate will be the good stuff!"

Check out more strange things that can affect how much you eat -- without you even realizing it:

More at link: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/11/09/buffet-healthy_n_4233685.html
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline aligncare

Re: 6 Weird Ways Your Environment Affects How Much You Eat
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2013, 12:30:12 pm »
I eat healthy daily at home. When I'm at a rare buffet meal I head for the cheesy eggs first.

You've got to keep things in perspective.

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2013, 12:37:38 pm »
When, oh when, are we going to lose our infatuation with the adjective "weird?"

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2013, 12:49:53 pm »
When, oh when, are we going to lose our infatuation with the adjective "weird?"

Hey - I just post em!  :shrug:

Weird to me has a specific meaning - something that makes you doube take and say "WTF just happened?" It seems to have slipped into netspeak as "This is neat and you didn't know it."
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2013, 01:15:35 pm »
Hey - I just post em!  :shrug:

Weird to me has a specific meaning - something that makes you doube take and say "WTF just happened?" It seems to have slipped into netspeak as "This is neat and you didn't know it."

It's become a guaranteed "click through" term, so it gets used over and over.

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2013, 01:52:57 pm »
Gee. People eat less on a full stomach than when they are first hungry. That is weird...
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2013, 02:14:50 pm »
Not only that, people tend to want to eat the first thing they see. Shocker.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2013, 02:28:13 pm »
So how much grant money did someone get to figure this out?
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!