Author Topic: Artist nails testicles to ground in Red Square  (Read 1904 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Artist nails testicles to ground in Red Square
« on: November 11, 2013, 10:25:33 am »
Ouch.

Via the Guardian: http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/nov/11/artist-nails-testicles-red-square-pyotr-pavlensky

Red Square has seen a lot over the centuries, from public executions to giant military parades, but a performance artist broke new ground on Sunday when he nailed his scrotum to cobblestones in a painful act of protest.

Pyotr Pavlensky said the protest was his response to Russia's descent into a "police state" and was timed to coincide with Police Day, which Russia's law enforcement officials celebrated on Sunday.

"The performance can be seen as a metaphor for the apathy, political indifference and fatalism of contemporary Russian society," wrote Pavlensky in a statement. "As the government turns the country into one big prison, stealing from the people and using the money to grow and enrich the police apparatus and other repressive structures, society is allowing this, and forgetting its numerical advantage, is bringing the triumph of the police state closer by its inaction."

Pavlensky has a history of self-harming art, including sewing his lips together to protest against the jail sentences given to the members of the bleep Riot punk group and wrapping himself in barbed wire outside a Russian government building, which he said symbolised "the existence of a person inside a repressive legal system".

Leading Russian theatre director Kirill Serebrennikov wrote on his Facebook page that the performance was a "powerful gesture of absolute despair".

Pavlensky walked on to Red Square on Sunday lunchtime, stripped off and nailed his scrotum to the cobblestones of Russia's most famous public space. He was taken to hospital an hour later and given basic treatment for his injuries but declined to be hospitalised. He was later taken to a police station.

Pavlensky is due to appear before a district court in Moscow on Monday over the stunt and could be jailed for up to 15 days.

Artists are very, very odd. I should imagine the police approached very cautiously, with their legs crossed.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Online mountaineer

Re: Artist nails testicles to ground in Red Square
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2013, 07:25:56 pm »
He's not so much artistic as just plain nuts.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Cincinnatus

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2013, 07:33:52 pm »
Oh, yes, but of course:
"The performance can be seen as a metaphor for the apathy, political indifference and fatalism of contemporary Russian society.

Or it can be interpreted as irrefutable evidence you are a complete loon.
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Online mountaineer

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2013, 07:44:25 pm »
He's not so much artistic as just plain nuts.
Er, maybe I should have rephrased that ...

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2013, 07:58:49 pm »
Er, maybe I should have rephrased that ...

How can you be so cruel?! They are not plain, they are assaulted nuts.

Offline flowers

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2013, 08:03:24 pm »
What a nutty thing to do....... :whistle:

:king:

Online mountaineer

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2013, 08:11:00 pm »
There are nuts, and then there's ...

Online andy58-in-nh

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2013, 08:11:46 pm »
Just another sad sack artist, seeking attention.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Online mountaineer

Online andy58-in-nh

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2013, 08:28:08 pm »
You forgot: "Wrecking Ball".
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline aligncare

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2013, 10:12:08 pm »
Ouch.

Via the Guardian: http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/nov/11/artist-nails-testicles-red-square-pyotr-pavlensky

Artists are very, very odd. I should imagine the police approached very cautiously, with their legs crossed.

Yes, artists are odd. But, the substance of what he said is true:

the apathy, political indifference and fatalism of contemporary Russian society," wrote Pavlensky in a statement. "As the government turns the country into one big prison, stealing from the people and using the money to grow and enrich the police apparatus and other repressive structures, society is allowing this, and forgetting its numerical advantage, is bringing the triumph of the police state closer by its inaction."

Could even apply to the U.S. given the ever-expanding over-criminalization of nearly every aspect of life. Example, under Obamacare there's a fine for not having health insurance; drive without a seat belt, it's a $135 ticket; disturb some wetland on your property and you might get fined millions of dollars; bully someone on the internet and they commit suicide, you could be charged with manslaughter; shoot someone breaking into your house and YOU could be charged with assault.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2013, 10:16:14 pm »
Most of them are revolting - except for one.

If you bully someone to the point they take their own life, their blood is on your hands.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2013, 10:26:46 pm »
I disagree.

If a person takes their own life something far deeper than internet bullying was percolating in their psyche. Who's to say that a marital break up or perhaps being fired from a job would not have also sent that individual into a tail spin. Should the ex-spouse or employer then be charged??

Edited for decorum.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 12:42:00 am by aligncare »

Offline rustynail

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2013, 10:31:36 pm »
And it so cold there.

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2013, 10:47:12 pm »
"Da tovarich!!  I show yoo!!!"

No alcohol in his bloodstream.....nosiree...........

Offline xfreeper

« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2013, 01:04:41 am »
Ahh, we can skip the encore

Oceander

« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2013, 05:19:04 am »
Yes, artists are odd. But, the substance of what he said is true:

the apathy, political indifference and fatalism of contemporary Russian society," wrote Pavlensky in a statement. "As the government turns the country into one big prison, stealing from the people and using the money to grow and enrich the police apparatus and other repressive structures, society is allowing this, and forgetting its numerical advantage, is bringing the triumph of the police state closer by its inaction."

Could even apply to the U.S. given the ever-expanding over-criminalization of nearly every aspect of life. Example, under Obamacare there's a fine for not having health insurance; drive without a seat belt, it's a $135 ticket; disturb some wetland on your property and you might get fined millions of dollars; bully someone on the internet and they commit suicide, you could be charged with manslaughter; shoot someone breaking into your house and YOU could be charged with assault.

you beat me to the punch; i started reading the italicized stuff and i immediately thought of the US

Offline aligncare

« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2013, 01:26:30 pm »
you beat me to the punch; i started reading the italicized stuff and i immediately thought of the US

Yes. The United States is on the same path. It's remarkable to hear my friends from the former Soviet Union talk about contemporary political life here in America. The parallels to the Soviet Union are startling. For them, it's déjà vu all over again.

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2013, 01:42:08 pm »
Ouch.

I'm sure the police were also hoping he wasn't armed with a fully automatic high magazine capacity nail gun.
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2013, 01:44:15 pm »
Yes. The United States is on the same path. It's remarkable to hear my friends from the former Soviet Union talk about contemporary political life here in America. The parallels to the Soviet Union are startling. For them, it's déjà vu all over again.

I'm having the same experience with a friend of mine who came here from Siberia.  She has been shocked at some of her experiences at the DMV and at her daughter's public school here in the USA.  She is VERY concerned about the direction we are headed.
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Oceander

« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2013, 01:52:38 pm »
I have to say, though:  this guy sure has (or had) balls!

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2013, 10:46:16 am »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-24954570

A naked performance artist who nailed his scrotum to Red Square as a political protest may face up to five years in prison, Russian media report.

A criminal investigation has begun into Pyotr Pavlensky's actions at the Kremlin wall on Sunday, the interior ministry told news agencies in Moscow.

Pavlensky was arrested but released the following day and placed under travel restrictions.

However, the 29-year-old now faces the charge of hooliganism.

More at link. I know risking your ball to protest a police state is a noble and worthy thing, but this story just keeps getting funnier and funnier.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 10:46:50 am by EC »

rangerrebew

« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2013, 02:30:27 pm »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-24954570

More at link. I know risking your ball to protest a police state is a noble and worthy thing, but this story just keeps getting funnier and funnier.

He had the cajones to be "grounded" in his convictions. :silly: