Author Topic: ABBA mulls possible reunion: report  (Read 1323 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
ABBA mulls possible reunion: report
« on: November 10, 2013, 06:50:53 pm »
Via France24: http://www.france24.com/en/20131110-abba-mulls-possible-reunion-report

AFP - The legendary Swedish pop group ABBA is mulling a possible reunion next year, singer Agnetha Faltskog said in a German newspaper interview Sunday.

Next year marks the 40th anniversary of the band's first hit "Waterloo", which won them the Eurovision song contest and catapulted them to fame.

ABBA subsequently became one of the world's best-selling pop bands with a string of number one hits such as "Mamma Mia", "Dancing Queen" and "Super Trouper".

"Of course it's something we're thinking about," 63-year-old Faltskog told the weekly Welt am Sonntag.

"There seem to be plans to do something to mark this anniversary in some way. But I can't say at this point what will come of them," she said.

Faltskog formed ABBA in 1972 with guitarist and songwriter -- and later husband -- Bjorn Ulvaeus, as well as Benny Andersson and Anni-Frid Lyngstad.

The group's Eurovision success with "Waterloo" came in Brighton, England, two years later.

The band, whose last album "The Visitors" appeared in 1982, has sold more than 380 million records worldwide, making them one of the most successful pop bands in history.

Don't you dare judge me. I loved ABBA.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Cincinnatus

Re: ABBA mulls possible reunion: report
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2013, 06:58:36 pm »

So do a lot of other people, EC, but I never could understand it. They did nothing for me except annoy my eardrums.
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2013, 07:17:53 pm »

So do a lot of other people, EC, but I never could understand it. They did nothing for me except annoy my eardrums.

Kind of hard to describe. 1976 was a shitty year here, '75 was worse. Yet we had ABBA being cheerful on the radio - it made it somehow better. Or at least more bearable.

Offline Cincinnatus

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2013, 07:23:55 pm »
Kind of hard to describe. 1976 was a shitty year here, '75 was worse. Yet we had ABBA being cheerful on the radio - it made it somehow better. Or at least more bearable.

Aw, don't worry about it, EC. Difference is what makes a horserace. In this case, your bad taste in music vs. my impeccable taste.  :silly:
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2013, 07:33:22 pm »

Aw, don't worry about it, EC. Difference is what makes a horserace. In this case, your bad taste in music vs. my impeccable taste.  :silly:

:tongue2: Put something in the jukebox thread - let's see what you got!  :laugh:

Offline Cincinnatus

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2013, 07:40:57 pm »
Put something in the jukebox thread - let's see what you got!

My dear fellow, in the past I posted songs a'plenty in the Juke Box thread, even started a second thread in the hopes of speeding up loading and encouraging participation (the two threads were later merged). I also posted to the short lived "Show Tunes" thread. So a few of my choices are out there but you will have to find them and I am hoping you will do so as listening to my offerings may well elevate your taste in music.

We can only hope so.

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2013, 07:41:29 pm »
I like ABBA too, and I'm not (very) embarrassed to say it.  An ABBA reunion would be HUGH!

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2013, 09:04:08 pm »
All quite talented in their own right, before ABBA. Some performers can continue to pull it off, it seems indefinitely. B.B. King in his 80s, for example.

ABBA relied on 2 pretty ladies, to dance on stage. How will that come off, with them now into their 60s ??

Here they are in 1981 with the girls in their 30s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4N1DdwrsdTo

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2013, 09:22:33 pm »
All quite talented in their own right, before ABBA. Some performers can continue to pull it off, it seems indefinitely. B.B. King in his 80s, for example.

ABBA relied on 2 pretty ladies, to dance on stage. How will that come off, with them now into their 60s ??

Here they are in 1981 with the girls in their 30s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4N1DdwrsdTo

Plus, the quality of ABBA's music was never as good in concert because the recordings relied on using something like 30 vocal tracks overlaid one over the other to give the effect of a large number of voices.  You can't do that on stage.

Nonetheless, the fans won't care.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2013, 09:39:56 pm »
Plus, the quality of ABBA's music was never as good in concert because the recordings relied on using something like 30 vocal tracks overlaid one over the other to give the effect of a large number of voices.  You can't do that on stage.

Nonetheless, the fans won't care.
Their popularity was roughly the same time as disco. ABBA's style was Europop. The Queen of disco was Donna Summer, who lived and performed for a time in Germany. I lived in Germany 69/70 and was familiar with the different style-at least on the continent. A lot of Euro Top 40 AM stuff had sort of a polka beat, in Germany or Italy, etc.

Their big break was winning the 1974 Euromusic contest, with "Waterloo." I like them better now, than I did back then. I'm a sucker for pretty women, too.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2013, 11:33:25 pm »
Mmm... Eurocheese.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024