Author Topic: GOP Gains Democratic Support for Bill to Allow Keeping Insurance  (Read 1774 times)

Offline happyg

GOP Gains Democratic Support for Bill to Allow Keeping Insurance
« on: November 10, 2013, 03:54:50 pm »
By Audrey Hudson
House Republicans this week are expected to pass with Democratic support legislation that would allow individuals to keep their health insurance plans in spite of new Obamacare rules forcing the cancellation of millions of policies, The Hill reports.

Authored by Rep. Fred Upton, Michigan Republican and chairman of the House Energy and Commerce Committee, the bill says that individual healthcare policies that were effective as of January 2013 must be grandfathered in the new system.

"You're not going to be subject to a penalty. You're not going to be forced to find something else," Upton told Newsmax in an exclusive interview.

The Hill reports that passage of the bill by Friday would be "a potential embarrassment for Obama, as several Democrats are likely to support the measure."

Although numerous Republican efforts in the House to block Obamacare have failed to gain traction in the Senate, The Hill also reports that four Democrats have introduced a similar measure, "a sign that some Democrats are increasingly becoming convinced of the need to change the law, but it's also a sign that these Democrats feel vulnerable on this issue -- three of the four Senate Democrats supporting the bill are up for re-election next year."

Upton said the new pressure by the House coupled with significant glitches in the new healthcare system would put pressure on the Senate to "force the president to keep his promise."

Read Latest Breaking News from Newsmax.com http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/upton-democrats-obamacare-insurance/2013/11/10/id/535797#ixzz2kG6AHevN

rangerrebew

Re: GOP Gains Democratic Support for Bill to Allow Keeping Insurance
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2013, 09:20:02 pm »
I don't understand this at all, but then I'm not a politician.  Why are republicans bailing out the democrats on anything to do with Obamacare?  The only thing that pops into my mind is the ObamaCare bill will have to be totally restructured to take into account all the money they won't  be getting that they planned on from people losing their insurance which will drive the insurance costs for young people even higher.  If it happens, democrats will be given credit for it by the media so republicans will lose on that. :shrug:

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2013, 10:14:47 pm »
I don't understand this at all, but then I'm not a politician.  Why are republicans bailing out the democrats on anything to do with Obamacare?  The only thing that pops into my mind is the ObamaCare bill will have to be totally restructured to take into account all the money they won't  be getting that they planned on from people losing their insurance which will drive the insurance costs for young people even higher.  If it happens, democrats will be given credit for it by the media so republicans will lose on that. :shrug:

Believe it or not there are still a few people in Washington who will, once in a while, do something for the good of the country without regard to the political implications.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2013, 10:33:07 pm »
Ain't gonna happen.  If it doesn't die in the Senate, Premier Hussein will veto it.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2013, 11:10:34 pm »
Ain't gonna happen.  If it doesn't die in the Senate, Premier Hussein will veto it.

Please God! Let that happen!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

rangerrebew

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2013, 06:15:35 pm »
Believe it or not there are still a few people in Washington who will, once in a while, do something for the good of the country without regard to the political implications.

Do you mean like visiting WWII vets visiting the memorial, Korean vets and their memorial, or Viet Nam Vets at their memorial?  I know you weren't referring to politicians.

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2013, 06:19:43 pm »
This is more magical thinking and yet another "promise" that simply cannot be kept.  There is no way to un-ring a bell, just like there is no way to un-cancel 5 million insurance policies, and counting.  This is pure BS, and a good example of Democrats trying to have things both ways. 

All these Dhimmies had to do was read the bill and vote it down in the first place.  As it is, everything is happening exactly the way it was deliberately designed by Congress to work.

You break it, you own it.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2013, 07:08:17 pm »
This is more magical thinking and yet another "promise" that simply cannot be kept.  There is no way to un-ring a bell, just like there is no way to un-cancel 5 million insurance policies, and counting.  This is pure BS, and a good example of Democrats trying to have things both ways. 

All these Dhimmies had to do was read the bill and vote it down in the first place.  As it is, everything is happening exactly the way it was deliberately designed by Congress to work.

You break it, you own it.

You are exactly right Chieftain!

:beer:

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2013, 07:18:50 pm »
You are exactly right Chieftain!

:beer:

I was going to say the same thing, it is impossible to just turn around all the cancellations and business decisions which have been made to accommodate this disaster of a bill... and this is why we will end up with single payer...  and why our healthcare system has been destroyed by this government.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2013, 07:26:24 pm »
Passing a bill like that through Congress would put Obama in a hell of a bind - but, everyone is right.  This can't be undone as simply as that.  I suspect the damage to the American people will be epic.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 07:37:40 pm by Lando Lincoln »
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2013, 07:45:59 pm »
Passing a bill like that through Congress would put Obama in a hell of a bind - but, everyone is right.  This can't be undone as simply as that.  I suspect the damage will be epic.

The insurance companies have already factored the new policies into their business plans next year.  And these new plans have been in the works for two years.  Now, to go back to insurers and say they have to be ready, in a very short period of time, to factor old policies into a mix with the new plans and to price them such that they're still profitable (knowing that 80% of the premium must be used to cover health costs) can't be done. 

And the Obama administration knows that.  If they allow old policies to be resurrected, the entire Obamacare business model falls apart. Republicans need to be ready with an alternative (tax credits) because most of any "fix" will have to come through legislation.   Republicans have to be ready to say with credibility that this is what happens when government injects itself into the insurance market.  If anything, there needs to be less government intrusion, not more.

By January 1, lots of Democrats will be running for the tall grass, ready to embrace anything that makes sure people have coverage. Republicans won't vote for single payer, and everybody knows it.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2013, 07:54:59 pm »
sinkspur... I end up agreeing with you far more often than not. 

An outright repeal will be more likely than any fix.  There are too many fatal flaws in the law to be "fixed".  And, the Fed will need to allow provisional exemptions, deductions and credits in the tax code for people getting hurt in very real ways.  Only way...

Then, there will be the problem of supporting a critically injured insurance industry.

My God... what we have wrought.
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline Olivia

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2013, 09:07:12 pm »

My God... what we have wrought.

We???   :laugh:   I ain't no democrat! 
Truthfully, the most important thing in life is knowing what the most important things in life are, and prioritizing them accordingly.   Melchor Lim