Author Topic: NRA plans to play big for McConnell  (Read 682 times)

Offline Cincinnatus

NRA plans to play big for McConnell
« on: November 10, 2013, 08:23:09 pm »
When Mitch McConnell receives the National Rifle Association's "Defender of Freedom" Award in Louisville on Friday, he and the group will be cementing a friendship that McConnell's team thinks could be the difference in next year's Senate race.

The NRA, which spent more than $16 million in the 2012 election cycle, plans to be heavily involved in McConnell's re-election effort, the group said Thursday.

"We're watching closely," Chris Cox, the NRA's top lobbyist, told the Lexington Herald-Leader. "And we're going to make sure that gun owners in Kentucky understand that they have a champion representing them in the United States Senate."

Alison Lundergan Grimes, the likely Democratic challenger to McConnell, had a simple response Thursday, challenging McConnell to meet her on the gun range.

"As an NRA member, my strong support for the Second Amendment is unquestioned," Grimes said in a statement to the Herald-Leader. "I am proud of Kentucky's long-held gun ownership, sporting and hunting traditions. It is unfortunate that Senator McConnell is desperate to mislead Kentucky voters about my strong support for the Second Amendment."

If elected, Grimes said, she would protect Kentuckians' right to keep and bear arms.

"Whenever he's not busy pandering to Washington lobbyists, I welcome Senator McConnell to come shoot with me at the range any day," she said.

http://www.gopusa.com/news/2013/11/08/nra-plans-to-play-big-for-mcconnell/
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams