Author Topic: Rick Perry cites GOP governors but not Chris Christie [Politico]  (Read 836 times)

Offline Rapunzel

Rick Perry cites GOP governors but not Chris Christie [Politico]
« on: November 10, 2013, 05:22:15 am »
http://www.politico.com/story/2013/11/rick-perry-chris-christie-iowa-2016-election-99574.html

Rick Perry cites GOP governors but not Chris Christie

Perry said in his speech that the answers to America’s problems lie at the state level.

By TAL KOPAN | 11/8/13 6:23 AM EST

In an Iowa speech, Texas Gov. Rick Perry echoed a Republican Party message of praising state governors but the former presidential candidate and possible 2016 hopeful left out some of his potential challengers, including newly reelected New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie.

In a nearly 15-minute speech at the Polk County Republican dinner, Perry said the answers to America’s problems lie at the state level.

“We’ve got to turn away from Washington to find answers. We need to look to red states that are outperforming blue states, to states that are cutting taxes, controlling spending, balancing budgets and are creating jobs,” Perry said. “What we’re looking for can be found in the record of governors like [South Carolina Gov.] Nikki Haley, [New Mexico Gov.] Susana Martinez, [Florida Gov.] Rick Scott, [Iowa Gov.] Terry Branstad — conservative governors who are cutting taxes and controlling spending and investing in jobs.”

Perry was echoing the message of other Republican governors, including Republican Governors Association Chairman Bobby Jindal, in highlighting Republicans in statehouses across the country, but he did not mention Christie or Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker. Christie sailed to a reelection in a blue state by a huge margin on Tuesday and both are considered potential candidates for 2016.

Perry praised Branstad in front of his home-state Republican crowd for the governor’s record in Iowa, and he also talked up his own policies in Texas as favorable to business, while taking shots at Democratically controlled states.

(PHOTOS: Rick Perry’s career)

“There are states like Iowa that are succeeding. And then there are states that are sinking. There are states that are in trouble, states like California, Illinois, California,” Perry said. “If you live in California and you rent a U-Haul to move your company, it costs twice as much to go from San Francisco to Austin, Texas, than the other way around because you cannot find a truck big enough that you can afford to flee California. That is a fact.”
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline Carling

Re: Rick Perry cites GOP governors but not Chris Christie [Politico]
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2013, 06:37:33 am »
Since he was talking about governors in "red" states, I'm not sure why he'd bring up blue state Gubner Christie.   :shrug:

What's the story here?  More supposed GOP infighting instigated by the Politico? 
« Last Edit: November 10, 2013, 06:37:59 am by Carling »
Trump has created a cult and looks more and more like Hitler every day.
-----------------------------------------------

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2013, 06:50:06 am »
Since he was talking about governors in "red" states, I'm not sure why he'd bring up blue state Gubner Christie.   :shrug:

What's the story here?  More supposed GOP infighting instigated by the Politico?

That is why I put Politico in the title - it is a warning to all readers the article is going to be skewed bigtime...
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2013, 07:48:21 am »

Excellent point.  The media is making waves where there ain't none.

Perry has been getting around lately.  He's trying really hard to get recognized as a serious contender for the GOP presidential nomination.  I'd vote for him, if he got the nomination.  He's got a great jobs record.

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2013, 12:59:16 pm »
There's no one more qualified for the job than Rick Perry, in my book.  I'm glad to see him out on the road and I hope he is ready, ready - READY - this time.  Something tells me he is!
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!