Author Topic: WWII Doolittle Raiders making final toast  (Read 350 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
WWII Doolittle Raiders making final toast
« on: November 09, 2013, 07:26:02 PM »

Support the USO

Offline Lipstick on a Hillary

Re: WWII Doolittle Raiders making final toast
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2013, 09:01:38 PM »
The guy on the left??  Dick Cole.  He was my next door neighbor when I lived in Comfort TX.  I bet he still lives there.  Lovely, humble, nicest man in the world--no exaggeration.  My ex husband and I never knew he was Jimmy Doolittle's co-pilot for the first 2 years we were his neighbors.   I recently discovered he made a trip here in Delaware, after he had left.  I would have loved to have gone to see him and say hello. 

Offline Lipstick on a Hillary

Re: WWII Doolittle Raiders making final toast
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2013, 09:07:59 PM »
The amazing thing about these guys is that they volunteered for the suicide mission of bombing Tokyo.  The Doolittle Raid, with all its perils, was covered pretty well in the movie Pearl Harbor.  Dick Cole flew to Hawaii as a consultant on that movie set--he (and other Raiders) were asked to make sure that Jimmy Doolittle (played by Alec Baldwin) was being portrayed properly.  I remember Dick telling us that the original movie script called for a swaggering, swearing, braggart of a Jimmy Doolittle, and the Raiders had that misconception in the script corrected.  Dick said that Baldwin really nailed Doolittle in that movie. 

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf