Author Topic: Rick Perry heading to South Carolina  (Read 1179 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Rick Perry heading to South Carolina
« on: November 09, 2013, 08:32:11 am »
Via Politico, so usual caveats apply: http://www.politico.com/story/2013/11/rick-perry-south-carolina-99586.html

Texas Gov. Rick Perry, fresh off a speech in Iowa, is going to another early 2016 state next month.

He will head to Spartanburg, S.C. for a winter dinner and conservative banquet on Dec. 3, the South Carolina Republican Party and the Spartanburg County Republican Party announced on Friday.

“Governor Perry’s strong record on jobs and economic growth is one that Washington D.C. should strive to emulate,” South Carolina GOP Chairman Matt Moore said in a statement. “His conservative leadership in a large, diverse state is impressive.”

A day earlier, the Republican went to the first-in-the-nation caucus state of Iowa for a GOP dinner in Polk County. Perry, a failed 2012 presidential contender, is widely thought to be mulling another bid for 2016.

Too short to excerpt.

So - I am thinking between this and his retirement as Governor, there is definitely another run in the offing. Personally I like him. Like his style, his no nonsense approach, and his habit of not just talking at people but listening to them. I assume his back is now healed and he is no longer going to have problems with standing up for the duration of any debates.

Still - is the USA ready for another Presidential candidate from Texas? Will the failed '12 bid drag him down?
He's already been pretty thoroughly vetted, which is a plus. Is most definitely conservative - another plus.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline kevindavis007

Re: Rick Perry heading to South Carolina
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2013, 03:18:25 pm »
Via Politico, so usual caveats apply: http://www.politico.com/story/2013/11/rick-perry-south-carolina-99586.html

Too short to excerpt.

So - I am thinking between this and his retirement as Governor, there is definitely another run in the offing. Personally I like him. Like his style, his no nonsense approach, and his habit of not just talking at people but listening to them. I assume his back is now healed and he is no longer going to have problems with standing up for the duration of any debates.

Still - is the USA ready for another Presidential candidate from Texas? Will the failed '12 bid drag him down?
He's already been pretty thoroughly vetted, which is a plus. Is most definitely conservative - another plus.

I would have no problem with another Pres from Texas. I think he will do better in 2016.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2013, 03:22:30 pm »
I love Rick Perry!
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2013, 03:24:41 pm »
I would have no problem with another Pres from Texas. I think he will do better in 2016.

I agree but he will only do better if he sticks to what he actually believes and stops letting the professional handlers lead him around by the nose!

He is the longest serving Governor of Texas ever and has done a GREAT job IMHO!
« Last Edit: November 09, 2013, 03:25:53 pm by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2013, 03:38:33 pm »
I agree but he will only do better if he sticks to what he actually believes and stops letting the professional handlers lead him around by the nose!

He is the longest serving Governor of Texas ever and has done a GREAT job IMHO!

In 2012 he wasn't ready.  I supported him and i will support him 2016 if he runs.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline MBB1984

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2013, 10:10:15 pm »
Perry is a good guy.  However, I do not see how he can overcome his enormous gaffes in 2012.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2013, 04:02:13 am »
Perry is a good guy.  However, I do not see how he can overcome his enormous gaffes in 2012.

That is my worry - and yes, I fully supported Perry for personal reasons, then phone banked for Newt when Perry dropped out and endorsed him. People might forget, the media never does, and will drag the gaffes and that stupid rock thing up again and again.

The personal reasons? I met him once. Was in Austin, feet hurting like hell, sat down on the steps of the capitol building. He comes out with some of his staff, on his way to somewhere, stops, and asks me if I am OK. A little thing, but it was important to me.

Oceander

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2013, 04:08:16 am »
What matters most is whether he's started picking staff who aren't mired in the junior leagues.  Perry's biggest problem was his campaign staff.  They were, by all lights, very effective in Texas; however, they quickly showed just how parochial they were as they guided Perry into one gaffe/mistake after another.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2013, 04:29:00 am »
What matters most is whether he's started picking staff who aren't mired in the junior leagues.  Perry's biggest problem was his campaign staff.  They were, by all lights, very effective in Texas; however, they quickly showed just how parochial they were as they guided Perry into one gaffe/mistake after another.

True - he needs some high quality talent on his team. His current team are highly effective at the retail level, he needs a couple of long term strategists. Problem is, he is intensely loyal. He's not going to swap out someone he has known and trusted for years for a newcomer, and there is only so much money in the pot to pay staffers.

Texans do tend to be slightly parochial anyway - no offense intended!
« Last Edit: November 10, 2013, 04:31:14 am by EC »