Author Topic: This timelapse of a homeless veteran getting a makeover will give you chills Posted by: Joshua Riddle November 8, 201358 Comments  (Read 945 times)

Offline Rapunzel

�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline happyg

Good grooming makes a difference in a person's life.  When I was an activity director at a long term care facility, I got a few beauticians to donate their time and do makeovers for the women. Then, we had a fashion show. Since I have left that place, they made it a yearly tradition.

Then, when I went to work for the homeless and mentally ill, we fixed people up to go out on interviews. Some just wanted to be made up to feel better about themselves. The only downside was, we had to make them take showers first!  :silly: A couple of them sold their "new" (secondhand) clothes for drugs. Some people, you can't help.

Offline Rapunzel

Sadly, you can't help them all.  Wish it was that easy.

When I retired from working in a corporation and no longer needed my suits I donated all my suits and silk blouses to a local battered woman's shelter - I used to buy really nice clothing at Nordstroms and took good care of them so  I figured if it would help them a lot more in finding a good job and having something nice to wear to work than hanging in my closet. 
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline happyg

Sadly, you can't help them all.  Wish it was that easy.

When I retired from working in a corporation and no longer needed my suits I donated all my suits and silk blouses to a local battered woman's shelter - I used to buy really nice clothing at Nordstroms and took good care of them so  I figured if it would help them a lot more in finding a good job and having something nice to wear to work than hanging in my closet.

I did that, too. It's mostly the working poor and lower middle class who buy them. Now, so many people utilize consignment shops because they need the money. When my oldest son got married, I looked everywhere for a dress, but couldn't find anything I liked. My daughter-in-law took me to a consignment shop, that I had never been to one, and I found the most beautiful dress for $75. The original price was $500. I gained weight and took it to Goodwill. Not working has its disadvantages!  :laugh:

Offline Cincinnatus

Rapunzel: When I retired from working in a corporation and no longer needed my suits I donated all my suits and silk blouses to a local battered woman's shelter - I used to buy really nice clothing at Nordstroms and took good care of them so  I figured if it would help them a lot more in finding a good job and having something nice to wear to work than hanging in my closet.

Happyg: I did that, too.

Ladies, I salute you both.
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Offline Rapunzel

I did that, too. It's mostly the working poor and lower middle class who buy them. Now, so many people utilize consignment shops because they need the money. When my oldest son got married, I looked everywhere for a dress, but couldn't find anything I liked. My daughter-in-law took me to a consignment shop, that I had never been to one, and I found the most beautiful dress for $75. The original price was $500. I gained weight and took it to Goodwill. Not working has its disadvantages!  :laugh:

I loved buying nice clothing and SHOES -- oh what I would have given for Just Fab and Shoedazzle back then!!!!!!!!!!!!