Author Topic: Steve King: Boehner a Goner if He Touches Amnesty  (Read 685 times)

Offline happyg

Steve King: Boehner a Goner if He Touches Amnesty
« on: November 09, 2013, 01:37:35 am »
Rep. Steve King (R-IA) told NewsMax in a recent interview that House Speaker John Boehner may lose his position if he tries to pass any immigration bills out of the House of Representatives.

“Asked to assess House Speaker John Boehner's performance and the possibility he could be replaced before the next election, King observes: ‘John Boehner has been stronger throughout this partial shutdown and the debt ceiling than most everybody thought he would be. He did serve to unify the conference better than I thought,’” NewsMax’s Jim Meyers and Kathleen Walter wrote on Monday.

But King said he would have a different answer to whether Boehner could survive if he touched immigration issues. "We'll have to see how the future issues play out,” King said. “For example, if immigration comes before the House, it would be the most divisive thing that could be brought up by Republicans in the House. Then I would have a different answer to that question.”

Boehner has not publicly promised that he would not use a series of piecemeal House immigration bills as a political ploy to get to a conference committee with the Senate’s “Gang of Eight” immigration bill, from which the Senate bill or a comprehensive immigration reform plan like it would emerge. For months, conservatives—including many members of the House and even Senate Gang of Eight member Sen. Marco Rubio (R-FL)—have sworn off conference committee. Boehner’s House Homeland Security Committee chairman Rep. Michael McCaul (R-TX), who publicly opposes conference committee with the Senate bill, has also called on Boehner to publicly oppose conference.

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2013/11/07/Steve-King-Boehner-a-goner-if-he-touches-amnesty

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Re: Steve King: Boehner a Goner if He Touches Amnesty
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2013, 02:53:58 am »
[[ But King said he would have a different answer to whether Boehner could survive if he touched immigration issues. ]]

If the payoff is large enough, maybe he doesn't _need to_ "survive"...

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

Re: Steve King: Boehner a Goner if He Touches Amnesty
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2013, 04:43:32 am »
Does anyone here believe they will like Boehner's replacement better.

http://blogs.rollcall.com/218/10-gop-members-who-could-one-day-be-speaker/
Here is the conventional wisdom of who might replace Beohner if (snicker) he gets primaried out.

Pick the guy you like best.  He will not be speaker.
Now pick the one you like the least.  That will be the speaker

Tell me the previous speaker you liked and I'll give you 20 reasons conservatives should hate him.

Let's talk about Dennis Hastert the previous GOP Speaker.

during his acceptance speech as Speaker, with Dick Gebhart by his side he said "Solutions to problems cannot be found in a pool of bitterness. They can be found in an environment in which we trust one another's word; where we generate heat and passion, but where we recognize that each member is equally important to our overall mission of improving the life of the American people."  http://www.georgebushfoundation.org/page.aspx?pid=261 

Then he passed every law Bush signed until 2007.  As a GOP sycophant, I think Hastert was fully awesome and much better than Speaker Pelosi.  I liked most of Bush's legislation and I think it is smart politics to say "nice doggie" until you find a rock.  I also think Boehner is a better Speaker than Hastert and working with a tougher Congress.  YMMV

Gingrich was fully awesome too.  Arguably the best Speaker of my lifetime, but he had his flaws, and I'm sure I can find 20 reason...just a Google away at some patriot site...to hate him conservatively.

Just something to think about for those patriotically working to remove another Republican from power.