Author Topic: Rhetoric vs. reality - Charles Krauthammer  (Read 633 times)

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Rhetoric vs. reality - Charles Krauthammer
« on: November 08, 2013, 04:46:34 am »
Rhetoric vs. reality
By Charles Krauthammer, Thursday, November 7, 7:35 PM

The Obamacare Web site doesn’t work. Hundreds of thousands of insured Americans are seeing their plans summarily terminated. Millions more face the same prospect next year. Confronted with a crisis of governance, how does President Obama respond?

He campaigns.

“I’ve got one more campaign in me,” he told grass-roots supporters Monday — a series of speeches and rallies, explains the New York Times, “to make sure his signature health care law works.”

Campaigning to make something work? How does that work? Presidential sweet-talk persuades the nonfunctional Web portal to function?

This odd belief that rhetoric trumps reality leads to strange scenes. Like the ShamWow pitch, Obama’s nationally televised address trying to resell Obamacare. Don’t worry about the Web site, he said. I’ll get it fixed. And besides, there are alternatives, such as an 800 number he promptly gave out. Twice.

more at:  http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/charles-krauthammer-rhetoric-vs-reality/2013/11/07/48e75002-47ec-11e3-a196-3544a03c2351_story.html

=========================================================
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald