Author Topic: Obama denies he said 'you can keep your insurance' despite being videotaped  (Read 3788 times)

rangerrebew

Obama denies ‘you can keep it’ videotaped promises

Posted By Neil Munro On 2:06 AM 11/05/2013 In | No Comments

President Barack Obama told his enthusiastic supporters Monday night that he never  promised what video recordings show him promising at least 29 times.

Obama told 330 million Americans variations of the promise that “if you like your health-care plan, you will be able to keep your health-care plan, period” on numerous occasions, from 2009 to October 2012.

But that’s not what he really said, Obama announced Monday in a speech to about 60 Organizing for Action supporters. Community organizers in fancy dress listened to the president at Decanter, the restaurant inside the St. Regis hotel.

“What we said was you could keep it if it hasn’t changed since the law was passed,” he told a D.C. rally of Obamacare’s political beneficiaries and contractors.

That claim is not supported by his videotaped statements, which don’t include any mention of his new “if it hasn’t changed” exception.

But the hidden exception is justified by a higher-priority promise in Obamacare, Obama declared.

“If we had allowed these old plans [to continue]… then we would have broken an even more important promise — making sure that Americans gain access to health care that doesn’t leave them one illness away from financial ruin,” he announced.

“So the bottom line is, is that we are making the insurance market better for everybody,” he declared, prompting loud applause by supporters eager to ignore his three years of fraudulent statements.

Obama’s higher promise is now causing the cancelation of insurance policies chosen by at least 3.5 million Americans.

The cancellations are spreading from the individual market to the small-group market. For example, Kentucky’s Department of Insurance has reported that 150,000 people in small-group plans — typically created for employees of small companies — are losing their insurance.

Obama told his supporters to counter the political effect of the many cancellations by highlighting good-news stories, and by reassuring people who have lost their insurance that they can buy new Obamacare-compliant policies.

“I realize that can be scary for people if they just get some [cancellation] notice like that… we’ve got to make sure that we’re getting them the right information,” he said.

But he also tried to downplay the Obamacare-caused cancellations, which are creating a wave of bad publicity that is hammering his poll ratings and his political clout.

“People are acting like this is some new phenomenon… every year there was churn in this individual market” before the law was passed, he complained.

But Americans’ complaints are subordinate to his political goals, he suggested.

“We decided we need to build something better, no matter how hard it is,” he declared.

Under that better progressive-managed system, some people’s health-care costs are going to jump, but it will be good for them, Obama said.

“Some Americans with higher incomes will pay more on the front end for better insurance with better benefits and better protections that could eventually help them a lot, even if right now they’d rather be paying less,” he announced.

Obama’s deceptive statements were deliberate and were intended to bolster Obama’s ability to get Obamacare passed in 2010 and him reelected in 2012, according to aides cited in a Wall Street Journal article Saturday.

“Simplification and ease of explanation were a premium, and that was true throughout the process,” Jon Favreau, who was Obama’s senior speech writer, told the journal’s writers.

Despite Obama’s new claims to his supporters, his “if it hasn’t changed” exception is not recorded in even one of his many videotaped “you can keep it” promises to Americans.

“We will keep this promise to the American people… if you like your health-care plan, you will be able to keep your health-care plan, period,” Obama said June 23, 2009.

“If you like your insurance plan, you will keep it. No one will be able to take that away from you.  It hasn’t happened yet.  It won’t happen in the future,” Obama told voters on April Fool’s Day, 2010, after the law was signed.

He repeated the unqualified promise in the run-up to the 2012 election. “If you’ve got health insurance…. you keep your own insurance, you keep your own doctor,” he declared in one of the three presidential debates.

However, Obama didn’t spend all of his Nov. 4 speech denying the videotapes.

He did confess that he and his aides may have made some mistakes, such as failing to manage the development of the Obamacare website.

“We got [Obamacare] done. Now, let’s face it, a lot of us didn’t realize that passing the law was the easy part.”

Follow Neil on Twitter

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Article printed from The Daily Caller: http://dailycaller.com

URL to article: http://dailycaller.com/2013/11/05/obama-denies-you-can-keep-it-videotaped-promises/

Offline aligncare

Despite Obama’s new claims to his supporters, his “if it hasn’t changed” exception is not recorded in even one of his many videotaped “you can keep it” promises to Americans.

Mark Levin called Obama's "if it hasn't changed" exception, his lie about his lies.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
I had stumbled across Morning Joe yesterday morning and they played the whole montage of every single time Obama said that phrase, almost verbatim, and it was at least a dozen times.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
I had stumbled across Morning Joe yesterday morning and they played the whole montage of every single time Obama said that phrase, almost verbatim, and it was at least a dozen times.

But it was more than him just 'saying' it, it was also all the embellishments he said along with it.

Using terms like...You can keep it, period. No one is going to take it away from you, no matter what. etc.

This is a classic picture of a lair, lying, to cover a lie. Nothing more than that.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Mark Levin called Obama's "if it hasn't changed" exception, his lie about his lies.

The president doesn't know how to NOT lie!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

rangerrebew

People, people.  If Ed Schultz sees this you will have him all in a lather.   He's already complaining about the media being too hard on Obamacare and here all of you are running down Obama just because he's a compulsive liar, who created a monster that most cannot afford, which has doctors leaving the profession, doctors who remain who won't accept the insurance, hospitals demanding deductibles up front, is making a part-time employment country, killing jobs, which has been sued so much it is hard to keep up with, which has navigators who are unvetted, computer programs which are a "hacker's wet-dream", and which doesn't work and all you can do is criticize our beloved president for it.  Have you no respect? 000hehehehe

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
People, people.  If Ed Schultz sees this you will have him all in a lather.   He's already complaining about the media being too hard on Obamacare and here all of you are running down Obama just because he's a compulsive liar, who created a monster that most cannot afford, which has doctors leaving the profession, doctors who remain who won't accept the insurance, hospitals demanding deductibles up front, is making a part-time employment country, killing jobs, which has been sued so much it is hard to keep up with, which has navigators who are unvetted, computer programs which are a "hacker's wet-dream", and which doesn't work and all you can do is criticize our beloved president for it.  Have you no respect? 000hehehehe

Let them eat cake. I have said, most of us have said, where this was going for years and years. We all said that it would be a disaster, and the Libs called us 'racist' for saying so.

So now they, the Liberals, can eat it. They were taken in by a classic flim-flam man, and thinking they would get healthcare 'for free'. Although a few people may wind up with free services, this will be a miniscule percentage of the number of people who will suffer from this. It is a shame that so many good people will be hurt by this, but there was no way to stop the idiots, who are the majority, from pushing this insanity. So, here it is.

My take on Obama's big lie, is that he thought the insurance companies would cover the costs of the newer more expensive plans out of worship of him, or maybe he thought he could find a way to force them to cover more insurance for less money. After all, he is well known for being an idiot.

Whatever it was, Obama and his people remind me of the mechanic that promises the world. But after he takes your car apart and it is sitting there in pieces, he says, this is going to take a lot more money to fix than I thought. And you will pay it, or I will leave your car like this and get into my car and drive. Hey, it's not my car. My car works fine.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 01:43:21 pm by 240B »
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline aligncare

And all of this simply because the left has always hated big insurance—just as they've hated profit motive in any field except, yeah that's right, politics.

Offline Rapunzel

Jay Carney doubled down on this a couple of minutes ago said Obama didn't lie and blamed the insurance companies.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline flowers

Jay Carney doubled down on this a couple of minutes ago said Obama didn't lie and blamed the insurance companies.
That was always going to be the plan wasn't it? Blame the ins companys?

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Re: Obama denies he said 'you can keep your insurance' despite being videotaped
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2013, 06:39:45 pm »
That was always going to be the plan wasn't it? Blame the ins companys?

Of course. OWS mentality writ large. I have reservations of my own about insurance companies. Fair enough, we all do. They provide a reluctant service and do tend to charge well above the odds for what they provide.

Plus, you can't go blaming "the smartest man in the room."
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2013, 06:54:37 pm »
Of course. OWS mentality writ large. I have reservations of my own about insurance companies. Fair enough, we all do. They provide a reluctant service and do tend to charge well above the odds for what they provide.

Plus, you can't go blaming "the smartest man in the room."

No offense, EC, but the more you post the more I see how little you understand what made this country the great nation it has been for a long time and I see the effect living in an entitlement societyin your comments.

You complain the insurance company makes a profit but I don't hear about the huge tax burden you all carry for living in an entitlement society.  I stayed up until the wee hours watching your debates during the last election in the UK and I was stunned to hear people asking questions about whether Cameron would take away their "free" bus passes and their "free" this and "free" that...   fact is nothing is free and those insurance companies employ a LOT of people and pay them a good wage which gives our government a good return in the form of income taxes.  Our SS tax for SS and Medicare is a pittance compared to your version of the SS tax and your income tax on top of it - not to mention the huge tax you pay on fuel (and a lot of liberals think we should as well).  Until recently we have been a nation of people who work hard and don't ask or want handouts but more than willing to give a hand up.......   one reason so many of us are pissed off at both parties right now is they have found out that they can wield enourmous power by changing this and making us more like Europe and frankly - speaking for myself - I want to return to the way we were where people had too much pride to be takers.  People like Bill O'Reilly bitch about the profits our oil companies make and never stops to look at the low profit per gallon they make while the government and the states take two - three - sometimes four times a much in the form of taxes on the fuel.  I am a firm, died in the wool, free marketer.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2013, 07:31:30 pm »
No offense taken!

Nope - not one single problem with them making a profit. I expect them to do so, I have shares in some of them! I have just had bad experiences with most insurance. Your insurance companies may well be better. Ours quibble on every little thing and take anything up to three years to finally pay out on a claim. It is a fairly tight market here, and pretty much a monopoly, if you trace the interlocking directorships.

Got hit by a driver and it totaled our car. Damn nigh killed us all, too, we simply got lucky with a tree on the edge of the road. Hitting a tree is lucky - who knew?! Despite testimony and camera footage from the police, showing it was entirely the other drivers fault, our insurance refused to pay out for 30 months. That was a long time to take the hit of having to buy a replacement car out of pocket at a time we were living on dishrag soup, never mind the panic attacks the wife gets, which is why she simply can not drive. We were advised, in no uncertain terms by the responding officers, to stay with that company until the claim was paid out, or it never would be. The day it was paid - we moved provider.

We had our freezer break, back in 2002. Nothing huge, but as we were away for the week we came back to a rotten, stinking mess. Since we are both very much into food and buy nice stuff when we can, the freezer was pretty full. After throwing out all of the home made stuff, held my breath and photographed the rest. Package labels, including prices. Sent the lot off to our home contents cover provider. Our policy specifically stated that freezer contents are covered, up to a value of £400. Still waiting for that to be paid. It never will be.

Regarding the tax burden - I complain all the damned time. I work from January 1st to July 16th to pay the damned freeloaders and government leeches. Anything after that is graciously left to me by Infernal Revenue to support a large family.

I got no problem with state pensions. If you worked, you paid in. Free bus passes - I dislike them but they do have one benefit. If bus travel is free, you are far less likely to get pensioners slowing up traffic and causing accidents. I tease Dad about that some times. It costs me an extra 10 pence per bus trip. No big deal. Still a damned sight cheaper than trying to drive into London, with the cost of fuel ($2.10 - per liter) and the congestion charge ($11.00 - per day)

Not one of our family have ever been on bennies, on either side, except one uncle who was on disability after losing an arm during service. That is a matter of pride to us, and we aren't exactly the 1% - fishermen, farmers, miners and nurses, mainly.

It is a different culture, yes. But some of us still have our pride.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2013, 07:48:45 pm »
I have never filed an auto claim for myself nor a homeowners claim.  Yes I carry coverage... i pay out of pocket ... for example waterline break on my fridge last month and damage the wall and baseboards I paid to fix it rather than file a claim.  I've handled a lot of medpayclaims working for a doctor and the only time we've not been paid promptly on medpay and workers comp is once the patient hires a lawyer.  In many cases the health insurance has paid and collected back on their end from the auto insurance as well as covering balance over the auto insurance when it runs out. 

Also in Arizona we are required to carry uninsured driver coverage so even if someone hits us without insurance we're covered.

Several years ago while we were on vacation a power failure flipped the BIG on our freezer and everything spoiled.  Until I read your post I never even considered we could have filed a claim...  there's many times we probably could have over the years..
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 07:52:29 pm by Rapunzel »

Offline flowers

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2013, 07:54:20 pm »

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2013, 08:07:27 pm »
We are in the fortunate place now where we can pay out of pocket for most things. It is a nice place to be! Finally!!!  :laugh:

Driving insurance - we have two. Fully comprehensive, which covers almost everything, including being hit by an uninsured driver. Or you can get what is known as 3rd party, which only covers the damage you do to other people/vehicles. Used to be able to get 3rd party, fire and theft, but that has been discontinued by most insurers, since it was dirt cheap and used as a way to get ready cash by some of the leeches. Spend £20 on a scrapper, insure it, then torch it.

I will say there is one company we have used for years. We have to have home insurance, to provide for not only damages to our home, but incidental damage to the neighbors. It was arranged through the mortgage company. Claimed once on that (we had an electrical fire in the garage.) The rep was here before the ashes were cold, and the builders were in and working before we'd packed a suitcase to go stay with the eldest daughter for the couple weeks needed - there was some damage to one of the walls, requiring new brick work, so they gutted the house and put everything into storage after fully cleaning it for smoke damage. Unfortunately, they only do buildings cover. Nothing else. If they did contents and auto we'd never go anywhere else.

Offline Cincinnatus

« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2013, 08:47:49 pm »
If I may return to the opening issue.

I don't recall if I cited this story before but even if I have I shall do so again because it's so applicable to Obama's ridiculous denials of having said what he obviously did say.

Many of you will recall when the Smothers Brothers had their own TV show. Before Tommy made it all preachy about LBJ and the War in Vietnam it had its moments. One skit I still recall is when resident comic Pat Paulsen was queried by Tommy as to whether he was planning on leaving the show in order to run for President. Paulsen denied he was even considering a run when Tommy showed an outtake from some other TV show where Paulsen declared his candidacy, no if, ands, or buts.

So Tommy demanded Paulsen explain himself as his declaration was right there on tape. Paulsen hemmed and hawed, shuffled his feet, and stated, "I was misquoted".

With every lie that SOB Barack is now spewing I remember that scene and only wonder why he doesn't make the same claim, "I was misquoted". You can be sure Carney and a host of Obama minions would be reporting that as true within minutes.

Just as a footnote, and to show how asinine government can get, Paulsen's comedic career went into hiatus at this time as the powers that be (the FEC I suppose) treated his tongue in cheek declaration as serious and warned CBS that if he appeared on the Smothers Brothers, or any other TV show, it would be required to provide equal time to any other declared candidate.
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Offline aligncare

« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2013, 10:26:40 pm »
Good memory, Cincinnatus. You brought back good memories for me. By the way, mom really did like Dick better. (Had to doublecheck to make sure I capitalized his name  :bolt:    )

rangerrebew

« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2013, 07:31:50 pm »
I remember when Mitt Romney's father was governor of Michigan and made a comment about Viet Nam that went over like a lead balloon.  In order to get himself out of the mess he said something that I think Obama can now use.  This was so bizarre that I committed it to memory:  "I didn't say I didn't say it, what I said was that I didn't say that I said it and I want to make that perfectly clear." :shrug:

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2013, 07:52:33 pm »
Free bus passes - I dislike them but they do have one benefit. If bus travel is free, you are far less likely to get pensioners slowing up traffic and causing accidents.

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan