Author Topic: ESPN Analyst: 'Star Spangled Banner' a 'War Anthem,' Shouldn't Be Played Before Games  (Read 1094 times)

Offline flowers

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Journalism/2013/11/07/ESPN-commentator-war-anthem

On ESPN’s Around the Horn, frequent guest Kevin Blackistone of the Dallas Morning News said that football games should not include the singing of the national anthem beforehand, as that added to the “military symbolism.” He actually called the Star-Spangled Banner a “war anthem.”

Blackistone was addressing controversy over Northwestern University’s American flag-themed football uniforms, designed to raise money for the Wounded Warriors Project. In a show segment titled “Buy or Sell,” Blackistone said that he would “sell” the uniforms:

I'm going to sell it for the same reasons. If you sell this along with me, you should also be selling the rest of the military symbolism embrace of sports. Whether it’s the singing of a war anthem to open every game. Whether it’s going to get a hotdog and being able to sign up for the Army at the same time. Whether it’s the NFL's embrace of the mythology of the Pat Tillman story. It has been going on in sports since the first national anthem was played in the World Series back in 1917. And it’s time for people to back away.

When prompted by host Tony Reali about the difference between “calling a football game a ‘battle,’ right, and singing the national anthem before a game,” Blackistone shot back, “You are conflating a war anthem with a simple game. When you have military flyovers and the military symbolism that goes on in sports, I think you’ve got a problem.”

:chairbang:

Offline xfreeper

Well, at least he didn't say he was offended. That's the usual approach these morons take

rangerrebew

Does he prefer bongos from the Congo?  Maybe he would prefer Harry Belafonte singing about the banana boats.  Another fine choice would be James Brown screeching "I feel good."  Maybe a fine lullaby by Urethra Franklin :whistle:.  My final offering, a nice rap song from PSI to show "international flavor." :3:

Online andy58-in-nh

A gay black radical journalist professor from Boston hates America.

Now, there's a friggin' surprise.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

rangerrebew

A gay black radical journalist professor from Boston hates America.

Now, there's a friggin' surprise.

What? WHAT?  He's gay? Say it isn't so! 888heartkitty

Online andy58-in-nh

What? WHAT?  He's gay? Say it isn't so! 888heartkitty

Sports reporters are sometimes derisively referred to as "jock sniffers". In this case, one reasonably suspects the description hits a bit closer to home.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline Relic

The real problem is not that someone would have such an anti-American view.

The real problem is that this idiot feels comfortable saying such a thing on a national broadcast. He knows ESPN is leftist, and he has no fear of losing his job. Only good will come to Mr. Blackstone as a result of this, because he'll receive attention that he craves.

Ultimately the anti-Americans who run ESPN will agree, as will many of the viewers. Kevin Blackstone will be more prominent on ESPN after this.

I sort of expected it to be Jemele Hill.

Offline xfreeper

Sports reporters are sometimes derisively referred to as "jock sniffers". In this case, one reasonably suspects the description hits a bit closer to home.

now that is funny!

Offline Cincinnatus

When I read the topic headline I guessed we were talking about Keith Olbermann who has once again found sanctuary at ESPN. Not so, apparently, and it appears ESPN has muzzled him.

Keith Olbermann Returning To ESPN, But Barred From Talking Politics

After a 16-year absence, Keith Olbermann is returning to ESPN, the New York Times reported Tuesday night.

Rumors had been swirling for weeks that the former Current TV anchor was "in serious discussions" with ESPN, but apparently the deal will officially be announced on Wednesday.

According the Times, Olbermann, 54, will host a late night talk show from New York that will air on ESPN 2. Although Olbermann may discuss other topics besides sports, his new contract reportedly forbids him from talking about politics on the program.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/17/keith-olbermann-espn_n_3608232.html
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams