Author Topic: FDA to Ban Artery-Clogging Trans Fats  (Read 13039 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Re: FDA to Ban Artery-Clogging Trans Fats
« Reply #75 on: November 10, 2013, 04:23:19 am »
Sarcasm aside. Food manufacturers overuse of artificially hydrogenated fats – unnaturally and ubiquitously used – in nearly every food item has resulted in an unnaturally sickly and obese nation. It's not something the population can deal with on its own. To think that people are gonna start grinding chickpeas for hummus, en masse, to avoid the commercial hummus which may contain hydrogenated oils, is fanciful, idealistic, and dare I say, naïve.

People are literally eating themselves to death in America. I know – I shop at a BJ's in a black neighborhood. 90% obesity. How do we get through to them? How did we get through the ignorance and apathy? Before it's too late?

It's a problem. The usual answer is educate them, but every adult reachable that way has already learned, whether they follow the advice or not - looking at the obesity rates by class, many choose not to.

The big problem is that eating healthy costs. Not so much in terms of money, when you do a side by side comparison, but in time and planning.

Which is easier?

Go to the store, haul back 4 bags full of fresh veg and a bit of meat. Peel and chop the veggies and the meat.  Clean up all the peelings and scrapings. Make some stock. Put it all in a casserole dish (or a slow cooker, those things are amazing) and let it cook fully, which takes a few hours.

or

Go to the store. Grab a bag of ready meals. Sling them in the microwave for a few minutes.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #76 on: November 10, 2013, 04:38:52 am »
It's a problem. The usual answer is educate them, but every adult reachable that way has already learned, whether they follow the advice or not - looking at the obesity rates by class, many choose not to.

The big problem is that eating healthy costs. Not so much in terms of money, when you do a side by side comparison, but in time and planning.

Which is easier?

Go to the store, haul back 4 bags full of fresh veg and a bit of meat. Peel and chop the veggies and the meat.  Clean up all the peelings and scrapings. Make some stock. Put it all in a casserole dish (or a slow cooker, those things are amazing) and let it cook fully, which takes a few hours.

or

Go to the store. Grab a bag of ready meals. Sling them in the microwave for a few minutes.

Don't know about that. I had to go to Walmart this afternoon.. I picked up a roasted chicken came home fed the dogs, made a salad and then deboned the chicken, saved the white meat for a sandwich later in the week and ate the dark meat with the salad... didn't take all that long and much healthier than if I would have gone through McDonalds and not any more expensive.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #77 on: November 10, 2013, 04:42:57 am »
BTW I have to say I detest casseroles... I am one of those strange people who eats around my plate - just about the only exception is the occasional hamburger and the aforementioned BLT's... other than that I am pretty much keep my foods separate person... and I eat one thing at a time.  Used to drive George crazy - he'd say it all goes to the same place and turns to ....
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #78 on: November 10, 2013, 04:49:40 am »
Don't know about that. I had to go to Walmart this afternoon.. I picked up a roasted chicken came home fed the dogs, made a salad and then deboned the chicken, saved the white meat for a sandwich later in the week and ate the dark meat with the salad... didn't take all that long and much healthier than if I would have gone through McDonalds and not any more expensive.

Sounds nice - what dressing do you use on chicken salad? We prefer citronette.  :beer:

Think of the time taken though. Assuming you are a speed demon with the deboning, that takes, what, 15 minutes? Wash your hands, prepare the salad - another 10 minutes. Plate up - 2 minutes. You could have stopped at McDonalds on your drive back, got your meal within 5 minutes, and be finished eating by the time you were home, with no clean up to do.

(Hope you are making stock from the carcase!)

BTW I have to say I detest casseroles... I am one of those strange people who eats around my plate - just about the only exception is the occasional hamburger and the aforementioned BLT's... other than that I am pretty much keep my foods separate person... and I eat one thing at a time.  Used to drive George crazy - he'd say it all goes to the same place and turns to ....

I also do that. Work around my plate clockwise - the potatoes are always last. Casseroles and shepherds pies and fish pies are useful - feed a lot of people with relatively little cost and effort.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2013, 04:53:26 am by EC »

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #79 on: November 10, 2013, 04:56:53 am »
Sounds nice - what dressing do you use on chicken salad? We prefer citronette.  :beer:

Think of the time taken though. Assuming you are a speed demon with the deboning, that takes, what, 15 minutes? Wash your hands, prepare the salad - another 10 minutes. Plate up - 2 minutes. You could have stopped at McDonalds on your drive back, got your meal within 5 minutes, and be finished eating by the time you were home, with no clean up to do.

(Hope you are making stock from the carcase!)

Nope carcase went down the garbage disposal (they call it a bone crusher for a reason).......  I never eat before my dogs ~LOL~  and it takes longer to feed them than it does to feed myself. The chicken was on a separate plate (I ate the salad first with olive oil and balsamic vinegar for the dressing and some Mandarin oranges in the salad along with arugula, spinach, red-and green-baby greens, red pepper, mushrooms and cucumber)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #80 on: November 10, 2013, 05:04:51 am »
Nope carcase went down the garbage disposal (they call it a bone crusher for a reason).......  I never eat before my dogs ~LOL~  and it takes longer to feed them than it does to feed myself. The chicken was on a separate plate (I ate the salad first with olive oil and balsamic vinegar for the dressing and some Mandarin oranges in the salad along with arugula, spinach, red-and green-baby greens, red pepper, mushrooms and cucumber)

Invite me to dinner! Sounds wonderful!

I bet your dogs still give you the sad eyes while you are eating though. They are rascals like that  :laugh:

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #81 on: November 10, 2013, 05:07:29 am »
Invite me to dinner! Sounds wonderful!

I bet your dogs still give you the sad eyes while you are eating though. They are rascals like that  :laugh:

That they do because my husband could not resist the sad eyes and he fed them from the table... I refuse to do it..... they still give me the big eyes......  but heck they eat better than 99% of the dogs out there so they have nothing to complain over.

BTW I made a wonderful sugar-free pumpkin pie last night..... 
« Last Edit: November 10, 2013, 05:08:19 am by Rapunzel »

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #82 on: November 10, 2013, 05:09:08 am »
http://weaselzippers.us/2013/11/09/pew-poll-52-oppose-nanny-state-banning-trans-fats/

Pew Poll: 52% Oppose Nanny State Banning Trans Fats…

It’s almost like people don’t want the federal government telling them what that can and can’t do.

WASHINGTON, Nov. 8 (UPI) — Fifty-two percent of U.S. adults say they are against prohibiting restaurants from using trans fats in food, a survey indicates.

The nationwide survey by the Pew Research Center, conducted Oct. 30 to Nov. 6 among 996 U.S. adults, found 44 percent in favor of prohibiting restaurants from using trans fats in foods and 4 percent don’t know.

Yesterday, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration said hydrogenated oils, the source of trans fats, are no longer “generally recognized as safe.” Dr. Margaret A. Hamburg, commissioner of the FDA, said the new rules requiring companies to prove scientifically trans fats are safe to eat could prevent 20,000 U.S. heart attacks and 7,000 deaths from heart disease each year.

Introduced about 30 years ago, artificial trans fats are created when liquid oil is treated with hydrogen gas and made into a solid. It’s used for frying and baking, and in products such as margarine as a cheaper fat than butter.

Although the survey was conducted before the FDA announcement, a number of U.S. cities have put trans fat restrictions in place.

ZIP | November 9, 2013 10:01 pm

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #83 on: November 10, 2013, 05:09:47 am »

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #84 on: November 10, 2013, 05:14:35 am »
That they do because my husband could not resist the sad eyes and he fed them from the table... I refuse to do it..... they still give me the big eyes......  but heck they eat better than 99% of the dogs out there so they have nothing to complain over.

BTW I made a wonderful sugar-free pumpkin pie last night.....

Our cats try that on all the time.  :laugh:

Pop the recipe in the thanksgiving thread please? Never managed to do a good pumpkin pie, though I love them. I usually use them for soups - got into the taste in Botswana.

Offline olde north church

« Reply #85 on: November 10, 2013, 10:53:26 am »

You know what's funny about that picture?  One day I was having my afternoon coffee and cruller behind the local Dunkin' Donuts and a squirrel jumped into the dumpster and pulled out a jelly donut!  He's sitting there on the edge, eating the dough, twirling the thing in his little squirrel fingers, not touching the jelly, eating away to his little squirrel hearts content.
All I could do was raise my cardboard cup to him.
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #86 on: November 10, 2013, 01:22:15 pm »
Yes, and way too many people suffer when they shouldn't have to because they don't have health insurance.  How do we get to them?  Should we mandate that they buy health insurance?  Oh, wait, we already did that.

Health insurance is normal (natural, if you will). Finding hydrogenated oils in 80% of the food we consume is not. Our ancestors ate from a normal distribution of fats (5 to 7% of it saturated), proteins and carbohydrates found in nature.

If you want to continue to say that laboratory fats are normal – that's up to you.

Offline Lipstick on a Hillary

« Reply #87 on: November 10, 2013, 01:23:53 pm »
Well, I ate a couple of Oreos for dessert last night.  I am happy to report that I felt much more guilty for doing so than I have previously.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #88 on: November 10, 2013, 01:31:04 pm »
Lol. Now you're getting with the program, ha ha. No need to ban the stuff, just get your Jewish or Catholic mom working against it. Guilt works, in time.

Offline evadR

« Reply #89 on: November 10, 2013, 02:33:16 pm »
SAMs $4.88 roasted chicken is great. Bought 2 of 'em yesterday along with the $4.35 banana nut muffins.
Gotta do my trans fat thing.
The $3.03 a gallon gas was nice too. It's the only place that doesn't sell corn oil gas (ugh, horrible stuff)
One stop shopping :).
November 6, 2012, a day in infamy...the death of a republic as we know it.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #90 on: November 10, 2013, 02:42:29 pm »
SAMs $4.88 roasted chicken is great. Bought 2 of 'em yesterday along with the $4.35 banana nut muffins.
Gotta do my trans fat thing.
The $3.03 a gallon gas was nice too. It's the only place that doesn't sell corn oil gas (ugh, horrible stuff)
One stop shopping :).

That's funny! Corn oil gas, horrible. Artificial fat, no problem! I'm trying to see the wisdom here.

Offline evadR

« Reply #91 on: November 10, 2013, 02:57:22 pm »
The whole country has gone to corn oil gas.

1..It costs more to produce
2..Depletes the corn supply
3..Fouls up your engine and exhaust system

What's not to like?

Offline evadR

« Reply #92 on: November 10, 2013, 02:59:11 pm »
..lol..and if you're looking for wisdom, this probably isn't the place.

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
« Reply #93 on: November 10, 2013, 03:11:25 pm »
Womb to the tomb....

Offline aligncare

« Reply #94 on: November 10, 2013, 05:23:46 pm »
Keep eating unnaturally high quantities of hidden laboratory fats and get to the tomb quicker than expected...

Offline aligncare

« Reply #95 on: November 10, 2013, 05:38:56 pm »
That's not fair. Perhaps I should qualify my position.

I'm not against saturated fats, I'm against the unnaturally high amounts hidden in all of our foods – in foods one wouldn't expect to find them. Evolutionary diets that included eggs, butter, cream, sugar and other natural ingredients are fine (just watch for excess calories).

But, hydrogenated oils hidden in all our food? No. That's wrong from a normal and natural evolutionary standpoint. Our bodies' digestive systems did not evolve that way. That is a recent development in food science the effects of which are not as yet fully understood. And I believe we are seeing the results of that in rampant obesity levels, diabetes and in inflammatory diseases.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #96 on: November 10, 2013, 06:13:58 pm »
That's not fair. Perhaps I should qualify my position.

I'm not against saturated fats, I'm against the unnaturally high amounts hidden in all of our foods – in foods one wouldn't expect to find them. Evolutionary diets that included eggs, butter, cream, sugar and other natural ingredients are fine (just watch for excess calories).

But, hydrogenated oils hidden in all our food? No. That's wrong from a normal and natural evolutionary standpoint. Our bodies' digestive systems did not evolve that way. That is a recent development in food science the effects of which are not as yet fully understood. And I believe we are seeing the results of that in rampant obesity levels, diabetes and in inflammatory diseases.

So you're telling me that two egg, two strips of bacon, one slice of dry toast, and glass of orange juice breakfast is OK?

Are you taking on any new patients?
« Last Edit: November 10, 2013, 06:14:28 pm by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #97 on: November 10, 2013, 06:32:52 pm »
So you're telling me that two egg, two strips of bacon, one slice of dry toast, and glass of orange juice breakfast is OK?

ONE egg!!!!!! Unless it is scrambled. A single scrambled egg is a bit sad.

You are missing an important part of a healthy breakfast. A cup of tea.

Offline Lipstick on a Hillary

« Reply #98 on: November 10, 2013, 06:45:49 pm »

I eat that exact thing about every other weekend.  Except 1/2 bagel in place of the toast with Philadelphia low fat veggie cream cheese (which is very good, BTW)  Oh and black coffee--lots of that.  Heaven!

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #99 on: November 10, 2013, 07:10:32 pm »
I eat that exact thing about every other weekend.  Except 1/2 bagel in place of the toast with Philadelphia low fat veggie cream cheese (which is very good, BTW)  Oh and black coffee--lots of that.  Heaven!

See if you can find some Stracchino. You can thank me once your tastebuds return from the heavens.