Author Topic: FDA to Ban Artery-Clogging Trans Fats  (Read 13027 times)

Offline NavyCanDo

Re: FDA to Ban Artery-Clogging Trans Fats
« Reply #50 on: November 09, 2013, 06:58:34 am »
Though he seems to think we are, nobody here is arguing with aligncare about having nutritional information available, so we can make healthy choices. We are fine with the labels and bringing up 1965 opposition is not exactly fair.   But I will argue that handing over to Washington Bureaucrats the power to ban Trans Fats will not stop at Trans Fats. Salt and sugar both just as equally guilty  of causing major health issues will be next in their bulls eye.   
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #51 on: November 09, 2013, 07:04:21 am »
I love walnut oil. My wife hates the taste. Guess who won that particular discussion. :laugh:

We adore hummus. Tend to buy it from the local store, dice peppers and garlic really fine and stir them in with a tiny bit of lemon juice. Leave it in the fridge for an hour, then we make pan bread - usually with chick pea flour.

I haven't cooked with chick pea flour - though it is an ingredient in the food I feed my dogs - but I do use almond flour and coconut flour. 

BTW I imagine where you live you have access to good fresh fish?  The one thing I eat, but really don't love is salmon. George loved salmon and we used to eat it at least twice a week. I prefer halibut (or King crab)...
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #52 on: November 09, 2013, 07:24:57 am »
I haven't cooked with chick pea flour - though it is an ingredient in the food I feed my dogs - but I do use almond flour and coconut flour. 

BTW I imagine where you live you have access to good fresh fish?  The one thing I eat, but really don't love is salmon. George loved salmon and we used to eat it at least twice a week. I prefer halibut (or King crab)...

Chickpea flour cooks pretty much the same as almond flour.

We get some amazing fish here. The supermarkets are pretty good with fresh fish caught during the night, but we'll jump in the car and head down to Whitstable to buy totally fresh from the boats if we can. We both love cod, haddock, dabs (they are like mini Dover soles), grey and red mullet, monkfish and sea bream. Scallops, prawns, oysters and langoustines if we get lucky with the time. (note - neither of us likes raw oysters. Cooked they are wonderful!) We'll always get a large dressed crab for her - I can't eat crab, have an allergy to it, and a brace of smoked mackerel for me - she hates them.

The fish market, where the boats offload, has a neat feature - they flash freeze for you with liquid nitrogen for a small fee and give you dry ice for your cooler. It lets us stock up each trip and the almost instant freezing prevents freezer burn and keeps that fresh flavor.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2013, 07:25:45 am by EC »
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #53 on: November 09, 2013, 07:58:50 am »
Mackeral?  How can you stand it??? I have fed it to my dogs.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #54 on: November 09, 2013, 08:18:57 am »

Grew up on it. It is an acquired taste, being so oily, but incredibly good for you. Has to be either totally fresh or hot smoked.
Totally fresh, stuff it with lemon and dill, put in foil with a splash of wine and slow bake it. Goes nice with a more intense mash - celeriac or Jerusalem artichokes are my favorite, but sweet potatoes work.
Hot smoked, flake it, pop on a sliced pickled onion (or better still, cucumber slices that have been salted then marinaded in cider vinegar for an hour) and eat with good bread and salad.

Edit to add - we also fry up cod livers and spread them on toast. Very pleasant  :laugh:
« Last Edit: November 09, 2013, 08:24:00 am by EC »

Offline aligncare

« Reply #55 on: November 09, 2013, 01:19:01 pm »
But people need to be controlled! Government knows what is best for you and you are too dumb to figure it out for yourself!!!

Sarc tag needed on that?

Though a quick scan through the pictures on people of Walmart and it becomes very hard to argue the point.

The thinking is, of course, that by forcing people to eat more healthy, they will stay healthy for longer and health care costs will go down. A healthier population is a more productive population, meaning a greater GDP and more tax revenues. That sound at all familiar?

I can accept the government controlling the recipe of canned or processed or fast foods to a certain extent. Who wants to go to McDonalds and not know what is in the burger and fries? (Arby's somehow gets away with mystery meat - must be a CIA front)
Grading and checking slaughterhouses, including the pink slime - fine. Maybe it is the horror stories I heard as a kid. Maybe it is too many years eating field rats. But the thought that someone not from the company is doing the quality control checks is reassuring to me.

The military is having trouble finding people fit enough to defend the country. I haven't noticed many obese Islamic fascist. Have you?

My office in Queens, New York is across the street from a police station. You know where I'm headed with this vignette ... Yes, that's right. Severely obese police. I see them every day, men and women. Couldn't rundown a perp if their life depended on it – oh wait, it does.

Sarcasm aside. Food manufacturers overuse of artificially hydrogenated fats – unnaturally and ubiquitously used – in nearly every food item has resulted in an unnaturally sickly and obese nation. It's not something the population can deal with on its own. To think that people are gonna start grinding chickpeas for hummus, en masse, to avoid the commercial hummus which may contain hydrogenated oils, is fanciful, idealistic, and dare I say, naïve.

People are literally eating themselves to death in America. I know – I shop at a BJ's in a black neighborhood. 90% obesity. How do we get through to them? How did we get through the ignorance and apathy? Before it's too late?

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #56 on: November 09, 2013, 01:57:31 pm »
Don't tell us you like bacon ice cream??? (the though makes me nauseous)...

No, I'm not that guy!

I love a good BLT in the morning tho!
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #57 on: November 09, 2013, 02:12:58 pm »
No, I'm not that guy!

I love a good BLT in the morning tho!

Well, pardner, that depends.

Mayo, Mustard or both?

Offline xyno

« Reply #58 on: November 09, 2013, 02:21:18 pm »

Mayo, Mustard or both?

Mustard on a BLT?

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #59 on: November 09, 2013, 02:23:19 pm »

Mayo, Mustard or both?

For almost 60 years, it has definitely been mayo and mayo only.  I have noticed lately that more and more mustard has crept into my condiment arsenal.  It hasn't made it onto my BLT, tho.

(BTW, my friend... my sons are home!  Going to see my Dad.  Time will be short - so glad my boys are here. One of them is doing homework now.)
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #60 on: November 09, 2013, 02:29:44 pm »
For almost 60 years, it has definitely been mayo and mayo only.  I have noticed lately that more and more mustard has crept into my condiment arsenal.  It hasn't made it onto my BLT, tho.

(BTW, my friend... my sons are home!  Going to see my Dad.  Time will be short - so glad my boys are here. One of them is doing homework now.)

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Nice! Take care. Enjoy your time with both your boys and your Dad. Still praying here - all of us.

Try just a tiny scraping of mustard under the bacon - it really kicks it up a notch.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #61 on: November 09, 2013, 09:16:18 pm »
Mustard on a BLT?

Real mayo and yellow mustard and avocado.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #62 on: November 09, 2013, 09:32:42 pm »

Real mayo and yellow mustard and avocado.

Not tried avocado. Can see it working if the bacon is crispy enough.

Offline flowers

« Reply #63 on: November 09, 2013, 09:42:27 pm »
Hmmmmm avocado ...yes on a BLT haven't ever tried it. sounds good.

rangerrebew

« Reply #64 on: November 09, 2013, 09:44:44 pm »
When will they ban hemorrhoids?  They are real pain in the *ss. :silly:

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #65 on: November 09, 2013, 09:59:48 pm »
When will they ban hemorrhoids?  They are real pain in the *ss. :silly:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dn8-4tjPxD8

Had the surgery at the edge of seventeen.  8888crybaby
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Cincinnatus

« Reply #66 on: November 09, 2013, 10:04:27 pm »
BTTT.

Briefly.

Sorta.

We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #67 on: November 09, 2013, 10:13:42 pm »
That's the problem, Cincy.

We've accepted laws and regulations that are not passed by Congress...but by panels of government agencies.

They have absolutely no right to be doing this.

And it's not a Republican vs. Democrat thing.  They're both lawless and have started to rule by Executive Order and appointed czars.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline evadR

« Reply #68 on: November 09, 2013, 11:21:34 pm »
It actually turned out the low fat diet had unintended consequences in an increase in gallbladder disease........

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/bjs.1800830140/abstract

and......

DITTO Rap.

I remember back when I was a working proletariat and the girls in my office decided to all go on this "no fat" fad diet.
After about 3 days on this thing, you've never seen a testier bunch of bitches in your life. I mean these were all nice girls but this turned them into vipers. Not only were they mean but they couldn't poop (maybe that's what made 'em mean)

Anyway, after about 3 weeks they all started coming back to reality eating and peace once again returned to the workplace.

Oh, they did lose some weight but it wasn't worth the cost.

THE POINT: You can and should eat anything, just in moderation. Once you start eliminating things in the name of "better health", you're probably just fooling yourself.

I really don't understand how vegans exist.
November 6, 2012, a day in infamy...the death of a republic as we know it.

Offline evadR

« Reply #69 on: November 09, 2013, 11:38:17 pm »
"Buy real butter and let it soften to room temperature and then add a equal amount of walnut oil, mix it well in your food processor and place in a container in the fridge."

Amen again.

And bacon...yes, yes, yes.
Man CANNOT live without bacon.
Every once in a while my wife makes bacon, lettuce, tomato and egg toasted sandwiches for breakfast.
yum yum yum.

We sponsored a bunch of Naval Academy kids for 4 years, class of 2011, and ALL they EVER wanted to eat was sponsor-mom's bacon, lettuce, tomato and egg sandwiches :)

Offline evadR

« Reply #70 on: November 09, 2013, 11:40:33 pm »
LOL..yer on a roll.

Offline evadR

« Reply #71 on: November 09, 2013, 11:43:19 pm »
For almost 60 years, it has definitely been mayo and mayo only.

A B S O L U T E L Y

Offline Carling

« Reply #72 on: November 10, 2013, 01:45:34 am »
Don't tell us you like bacon ice cream??? (the though makes me nauseous)...

true story - when I was in the 5th grade I "discovered" Bacon, lettuce, tomato sandwiches.  For two months that is all I would eat, I insisted our house keeper make them for me for breakfast, lunch and dinner... finally my stepfather said no more and she was forbidden to give them to me any longer.  Once in a great while I still really enjoy one...

A house keeper?  I grew up poor, and a BLT was a rarity because of the cost of fresh tomatoes. 

Shit on shingle was our idea of eating well.  If you exercise and are active, it really doesn't matter what you eat.  Genetics have more to do with it than anything else.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2013, 01:46:31 am by Carling »
Trump has created a cult and looks more and more like Hitler every day.
-----------------------------------------------

Offline Cincinnatus

« Reply #73 on: November 10, 2013, 03:32:28 am »
And bacon...yes, yes, yes.
Man CANNOT live without bacon.

We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Oceander

« Reply #74 on: November 10, 2013, 03:46:57 am »
The military is having trouble finding people fit enough to defend the country. I haven't noticed many obese Islamic fascist. Have you?

My office in Queens, New York is across the street from a police station. You know where I'm headed with this vignette ... Yes, that's right. Severely obese police. I see them every day, men and women. Couldn't rundown a perp if their life depended on it – oh wait, it does.

Sarcasm aside. Food manufacturers overuse of artificially hydrogenated fats – unnaturally and ubiquitously used – in nearly every food item has resulted in an unnaturally sickly and obese nation. It's not something the population can deal with on its own. To think that people are gonna start grinding chickpeas for hummus, en masse, to avoid the commercial hummus which may contain hydrogenated oils, is fanciful, idealistic, and dare I say, naïve.

People are literally eating themselves to death in America. I know – I shop at a BJ's in a black neighborhood. 90% obesity. How do we get through to them? How did we get through the ignorance and apathy? Before it's too late?

Yes, and way too many people suffer when they shouldn't have to because they don't have health insurance.  How do we get to them?  Should we mandate that they buy health insurance?  Oh, wait, we already did that.