Author Topic: Mr. GOP: Chris Christie Aims to Make Himself Face of National Party  (Read 1864 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2013/11/05/Chris-Christie-Wants-To-Be-The-Face-Of-The-GOP-Not-It-s-2016-Nominee

by Frances Martel 6 Nov 2013

"I can't remember a gubernatorial election ever called at 8:02," News 12 NJ's Walt Kane reported at that exact time, simultaneously citing the early numbers (or lack thereof) and the near certainty that New Jersey Governor Chris Christie was poised for reelection.

It's a trouncing many will interpret as a step closer to the White House, but Christie is after something much more influential and pervasive than the ephemeral attention of 2016 horse race enthusiasts—becoming the face of the national Republican Party.

The numbers out of New Jersey justify the enthusiasm in DC and on cable news: Christie improved his numbers among African-American voters by more than ten points, won the female vote, and about broke even with Latinos. He did well even among Democrats—so much so that his opponent, Metuchen Democrat Barbara Buono, went out of her way to highlight that her campaign faced an "onslaught of betrayal from my own political party."

Christie's reelection comes at a perfect time, as well—entering a period in which the national obsession with Sen. Ted Cruz has returned to reserved fascination after a period of frenzy, in which no one has yet to claim the "2016 GOP savior of the month" banner for November just yet. It comes as reports of former Massachusetts governor Mitt Romney feeling too uncomfortable with Christie's background to put him on the ballot led Romney to say Christie could "easily be our nominee."

Anyone looking at this picture and perceiving a potential desire in Christie to be the savior of the party is correct, but saving the GOP and being its presidential nominee are two very different things. What he appears to seek, at least for now, is influence within the party and not mere title. He doesn't want to be Mitt Romney, any more than he wanted to be Tom Kean, Jr. or Bret Schundler when he announced a run for governor. He wants to be the man the national party turns to when they need a kingmaker in purple or blue states. And more often than not, that man is not the one kissing babies in Iowa and New Hampshire.

He said as much in his victory speech Tuesday night. "I don't need an introduction to you because I am one of you," he told the crowd, emphasizing that his victory is as much a unique New Jersey phenomenon as it is a testament to his superlative political instinct. The latter he noted when he said of his campaign, "we don't just show up in the places where they vote for us a lot; we show up in he places where they vote for us a little." Christie is selling his ability to change minds, to reach voters that would otherwise never look at a Republican ticket. He is not selling his ability to reach Republican primary voters and subsequently shift gears to appeal to undecided voters in the infamous swing state of Ohio, but to convince those voters to look at their local Republicans when they otherwise would never.

No campaign stop proved Christie's intentions than his stint in Union City, NJ, on election eve. Christie headlined his campaign event there—a heavily Democratic, 85% Latino city—with the city's mayor and state senator, Democrat Brian Stack, and Republican New Mexico Governor Susana Martinez. Stack, arguably one of the Democratic traitors against whom Buono so viscerally railed last night, endorsed Christie in defiance of his local party organization as much as the national Democratic machine. Just as Hudson County remains the defiantly blue stronghold in the statewide map, so too did it rebel in having one of its most powerful Democratic leaders get out the vote for a Republican. It's just that kind of place.

There are visual cues to what kind of pretzel-looking special accommodations can come out of bipartisan leadership. The resulting campaign literature from Stack, for example, looks something like a spider web, with detailed instructions in part designed to diminish any potential coattails for other Republicans from the Christie endorsement while conspicuously leaving Buono's name off the sample ballot. Looking at it, despite the results for Christie in Hudson County, one can't help receive the message that Christie makes moderate Democrats want to believe in exceptions—and if he can do that to party leaders, voters surely follow.

On a national level—in the Beltway, where only presidential elections seems to matter—pundits will inevitably attempt to shoehorn such a talent for compromise into a presidential run. After all, the narrative is that the Republican Party needs an electric jolt lest it breathe its last breaths, and running Christie would certainly be that. But running Christie without Christie himself taking the time to establish himself as the face of the party—the culture of the Republican Party—would do nothing to change it. And no one knows that better than Christie himself.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline olde north church

Re: Mr. GOP: Chris Christie Aims to Make Himself Face of National Party
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2013, 03:59:12 pm »
Remember the old Honeymooners show with Jackie Gleason's face overlaid the moon?
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2013, 04:01:38 pm »
Remember the old Honeymooners show with Jackie Gleason's face overlaid the moon?

"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2013, 04:08:30 pm »

The media is building Christie up so he can be defeated by your next unimpeachable president, Hellary...

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2013, 04:12:09 pm »
The media is building Christie up so he can be defeated by your next unimpeachable president, Hellary...

Don't believe she will even be a factor 3 years from now.  Two Jerseyans go head to head, Booker and Christie.

The "Snore at the Shore"
« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 04:12:48 pm by olde north church »

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2013, 04:21:06 pm »

"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline MBB1984

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2013, 05:02:07 pm »
Pufferfish is a scandal waiting to happen.  The leftist media will go all out for him until he faces a true Marxist in the general.   Then all of Pufferfish's baggage and scandals will suddenly merge and converge in his quick political destruction. 

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2013, 05:14:02 pm »
Pufferfish is a scandal waiting to happen.  The leftist media will go all out for him until he faces a true Marxist in the general.   Then all of Pufferfish's baggage and scandals will suddenly merge and converge in his quick political destruction.

Exactly.  The media can build up anyone they want and likewise destroy anyone they want.  Propaganda techniques have far exceeded even above-average citizens ability to detect them.  Never mind the low-info voter who swallows everything without question.

The leftist media editors/owners are simply building him up so they can destroy him at the appropriate time.  Get a few Pubbies to believe that if they only move left 'just a little bit', they can win again while they're at it.

Fools they are... Pubbie voters, not the leftists...

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline flowers

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2013, 05:51:19 pm »
Exactly.  The media can build up anyone they want and likewise destroy anyone they want.  Propaganda techniques have far exceeded even above-average citizens ability to detect them.  Never mind the low-info voter who swallows everything without question.

The leftist media editors/owners are simply building him up so they can destroy him at the appropriate time.  Get a few Pubbies to believe that if they only move left 'just a little bit', they can win again while they're at it.

+1

Offline aligncare

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2013, 06:45:31 pm »

I'm trying to understand your logic here. Seriously. Wouldn't the media attempt to destroy any Republican candidate for president, even – for arguments sake – a Ted Cruz, for instance?

I love Ted Cruz, but I also love this (from the article): "Christie improved his numbers among African-American voters by more than ten points, won the female vote, and about broke even with Latinos." I thought these are objectives the GOP should be aiming for. Wouldn't you agree?

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2013, 07:05:39 pm »
I'm trying to understand your logic here. Seriously. Wouldn't the media attempt to destroy any Republican candidate for president, even – for arguments sake – a Ted Cruz, for instance?

No.  Ted Cruz would move the GOP to the right, the media wants it to move to the left, hence Christie.

I love Ted Cruz, but I also love this (from the article): "Christie improved his numbers among African-American voters by more than ten points, won the female vote, and about broke even with Latinos." I thought these are objectives the GOP should be aiming for. Wouldn't you agree?

Till they start trashing him when he runs against Hellary.  Then the new, improved left-wing GOP will be cast as the villain once again, those numbers will evaporate and the GOP will be encouraged to move leftward ever more in order to 'win'.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2013, 08:10:29 pm »

AC you are a very smart man, but you buying into this Christie schtick is troubling because you are so smart,  The very people who voted for Christie are the same people - who in exit polls - said they would vote Hillary if she runs in 16.    Blacks will support her over Christie as will Hispanics.  He basically ran unopposed this week, his win is an empty win.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline aligncare

« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2013, 08:50:37 pm »
It may seem like the opposite to those people who've already decided that Christie is the anti-Christ, but at this point I'm simply keeping an open mind. If Hillary were to run I could throw my support behind someone different--say, a draft Palin campaign. I think knowing who we must beat is an important part of a winning strategery.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2013, 08:52:26 pm »
It may seem like the opposite to those people who've already decided that Christie is the anti-Christ, but at this point I'm simply keeping an open mind. If Hillary were to run I could throw my support behind someone different--say, a draft Palin campaign. I think knowing who we must beat is an important part of a winning strategery.

I just cannot imagine you are really for a candidate who is pro-Sharia, pro-Amnesty, pro-expanding medicaid, is a bully and a loudmouth.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline aligncare

« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2013, 09:22:35 pm »
I like the loudmouth, bully part. The other chargers are unproven – pro-sharia is ridiculous, one bad judge appointment does not make one pro sharia. Pro amnesty? Well that's the Republican Party for you, find me a candidate who isn't signing onto whatever amnesty the GOP is cooking up.

I'm unfamiliar with the expanding Medicaid part, so I can't comment on that.

Christie's pro-life and that's an important distinction for me. That and his smack-down of the teacher's union, his balance of state budgets, property tax rebates and spending cuts appear to me to be a pretty good conservative record.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2013, 09:29:16 pm »
I like the loudmouth, bully part. The other chargers are unproven – pro-sharia is ridiculous, one bad judge appointment does not make one pro sharia. Pro amnesty? Well that's the Republican Party for you, find me a candidate who isn't signing onto whatever amnesty the GOP is cooking up.

I'm unfamiliar with the expanding Medicaid part, so I can't comment on that.

Christie's pro-life and that's an important distinction for me. That and his smack-down of the teacher's union, his balance of state budgets, property tax rebates and spending cuts appear to me to be a pretty good conservative record.

He is also anti-second amendment.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2013, 09:35:42 pm »
That's a tough one to reconcile. I'm an NRA member. But I live in New York City where there is effectively no Second Amendment.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2013, 09:37:28 pm »
That's a tough one to reconcile. I'm an NRA member. But I live in New York City where there is effectively no Second Amendment.

You strike me as more of a Wayne Allen Root-type of libertarian conservative. I really can't picture you going for someone like Christie.  JMHO...

Offline aligncare

« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2013, 09:42:55 pm »
I like his toughness. But that doesn't mean I'm wedded to him at this point. I'm just interested in seeing that we have factual information on his positions and record. Keeping an open mind.