Author Topic: Can Chris Christie be the Republican Bill Clinton? By: Rich Lowry  (Read 5177 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://dyn.politico.com/printstory.cfm?uuid=0192145F-4B9E-44C2-8175-46B0C45CD5EE

Can Chris Christie be the Republican Bill Clinton?
By: Rich Lowry
November 6, 2013 10:37 PM EST

Chris Christie couldn’t have been any more obvious about his 2016 intentions if he had begun his victory speech Tuesday with the words “my fellow Americans” and ended it with a balloon drop.

He offered New Jersey as an example for national healing. “Tonight,” he said, “a dispirited America, angry with their dysfunctional government in Washington, looks to New Jersey to say ‘Is what I think’s happening really happening? Are people really coming together?’”

Trenton, a nation turns its lonely eyes to you.

None of this was subtle, but Christie had certainly earned it. Almost every decision he’s made — sometimes blatantly and shamelessly so — has been geared to making the rubble bounce in his reelection and then using his crushing victory as a credential in an incipient national campaign. He succeeded brilliantly on his own terms.

In a state President Barack Obama won by 17 points in 2012, Christie won 60 percent overall. He won Latinos outright and took 21 percent of the black vote. He won women and men. He won high school graduates and people with advanced degrees. He won people making more than $200,000 and people making less than $50,000.

These numbers are eye-popping. If they were automatically transferable to the national stage, Hillary Clinton would have to give it up and content herself with giving $200,000 speeches for Goldman Sachs forevermore. But they aren’t.

As Henry Olsen of the Ethics and Public Policy Center points out, essentially uncontested races against badly overmatched opponents aren’t a predictor of anything. William Weld won 70 percent of the vote and every county in Massachusetts in his 1994 reelection as governor, then lost by 7 points to John Kerry in a 1996 Senate race in which the map of Massachusetts snapped back to its natural state.

Granted, getting into a position where you can run essentially uncontested against a badly overmatched opponent in a major race is an achievement in itself.

Christie’s implicit pitch to the national GOP will probably be that he’s to Republicans in the 2010s what Bill Clinton was to the Democrats in the 1990s. In other words, he offers a different kind of politics that can potentially unlock the presidency after a period of national futility for his party.

Like Clinton when he was governor of Arkansas in the 1980s, Christie is operating on hostile partisan and cultural territory, and managing to thrive by co-opting or neutralizing natural enemies.

Like the “explainer-in-chief,” Christie has a knack for public persuasion. The New Jersey governor’s relentless town halls during the fight for his public-sector reforms were model examples of making an argument fearlessly and effectively.

Like Clinton, who so famously felt people’s pain, Christie connects. He has a reputation for confrontation — rightly — but Christie’s emotional range is much broader. His response to Hurricane Sandy was, in part, a great act of empathy. Near the end of his victory speech, he spoke about hugging New Jerseyeans.

What Clinton had that Christie evidently lacks is a well-thought-out approach to his party’s predicament. Clinton had a new governing philosophy, embodied in the Democratic Leadership Council and its associated think tank, and expressed in a raft of new policy proposals. Chris Christie has an affect and a style of governance, plus a resounding victory over Barbara Buono.

If Christie’s message to the GOP is merely that it should look to what he did in the Garden State and be as wonderfully unifying as he is, it deserves to flop. It could come off as boastful and hectoring, and about as original as the average political discussion on NPR. Coupled with his various departures from conservative orthodoxy, it could be toxic.

For Christie to capitalize on the opportunity he has created for himself, he will need a conservative reform agenda. He should pick up the phone and call (202) 224-5444. That is Sen. Mike Lee’s office number. The Utah Republican is doing more than anyone else at the moment to forge a new middle-class-oriented platform for the party, and he sketched its outlines in an important talk at The Heritage Foundation last week.

In his victory speech, Christie spoke of being “one of you.” As Henry Olsen writes, Christie’s potential is in matching that Everyman appeal with substance. He could set out to make himself a Republican by and for the middle class in a substantive and stylistic departure for the contemporary party.

Congratulations on the big win, governor. Now show us what’s next.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline olde north church

Re: Can Chris Christie be the Republican Bill Clinton? By: Rich Lowry
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2013, 03:24:32 pm »
When we stop pretending "fly over" country is amber waves of high kicking teen aged drum majorettes, apple pie baking moms, steely eyed righteous parsons and boys enlisting and not hands out for subsidies farmers and electors of some of the  most liberal senators in the nation's history, we can get started on righting this ship.  I mentioned on another thread, all people vote their interests, whether it's obamaphones or ethanol subsidies.
A united electorate isn't rocket science.  Find one basic issue, keep religion and race out of it and focus like a LASER.  Everybody needs to eat.  Everybody wants more money.  Everybody wants more for their own. 
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2013, 03:34:12 pm »
Christie has the potential. People who know him say he's the genuine article. But whether his tough guy persona will play well in Iowa remains to be seen. Giuliani had that same potential and look where it got him.

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2013, 04:11:20 pm »

Christie is being built up by the media so he can go down in flames against Hellary.

Nothing more...

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline Relic

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2013, 04:14:11 pm »
When we stop pretending "fly over" country is amber waves of high kicking teen aged drum majorettes, apple pie baking moms, steely eyed righteous parsons and boys enlisting and not hands out for subsidies farmers and electors of some of the  most liberal senators in the nation's history, we can get started on righting this ship.  I mentioned on another thread, all people vote their interests, whether it's obamaphones or ethanol subsidies.
A united electorate isn't rocket science.  Find one basic issue, keep religion and race out of it and focus like a LASER.  Everybody needs to eat.  Everybody wants more money.  Everybody wants more for their own.

Good point. The GOP gets so bogged down in the religion/social issue swamp that it drowns them.
Americans aren't as religious, or moral, as they were 30 years ago. Like it or not, it's true.

Offline Relic

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2013, 04:14:56 pm »
Christie is being built up by the media so he can go down in flames against Hellary.

Nothing more...

:thumbsup:

Offline Lipstick on a Hillary

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2013, 04:26:50 pm »
Good point. The GOP gets so bogged down in the religion/social issue swamp that it drowns them.
Americans aren't as religious, or moral, as they were 30 years ago. Like it or not, it's true.

I agree.  It is what it is.

I was at a dinner party on Halloween.  Politics came up, and the people there pretty well scoffed at the Tea Party because they perceived it exactly that way-like a resurgence of Pat Robertson.   And one of them was a freedom-loving fiscal conservative who would buy into the TP philosophy if he was clear on what it was.

Offline Relic

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2013, 04:42:42 pm »

I was at a dinner party on Halloween.  Politics came up, and the people there pretty well scoffed at the Tea Party because they perceived it exactly that way-like a resurgence of Pat Robertson.   And one of them was a freedom-loving fiscal conservative who would buy into the TP philosophy if he was clear on what it was.

The TP started as grass roots, with no leader, no spokesman. Ideal for liberty. Each group was whatever they wanted to be with conservatism as a common thread. Conservatism in the sense of small government, and fiscal responsibility. Seemed like a good idea to me, but I didn't count on the efforts of the traitorous, liberal media.

If you have a loosely bound group consisting of many parts, it's easy to find the outliers and cast the whole group as conforming to the outlier's views. With no central body, and no national spokesperson, the target was just too easy for the media.

The media is expert at telling a stupid public what to think. Here is the current orthodoxy:

Republicans are very uncool, if you vote Republican, you can never be part of the "in" crowd like Kanye and Kim.
Republican = rich, old, angry, racist, white MEN.
Tea Party = extreme Republicans.

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2013, 04:43:27 pm »

It's what's preventing good, blue-collar, Reagan Democrats from getting back.

Offline Scottftlc

• Certified free of TDS
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2013, 04:53:32 pm »
Wow...if he was the Republican Bill Clinton, he'd probably crush a few interns to death.
Well, George Lewis told the Englishman, the Italian and the Jew
You can't open your mind, boys, to every conceivable point of view

...Bob Dylan

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2013, 04:55:07 pm »
The media is expert at telling a stupid public what to think.

Myself, I use every opportunity to open people's eyes to the lie that is our 'free press'.

Basically, I tell them that if they are relying on the TV to tell them what reality is, they are being lied to on a constant and consistent basis.

If they can't figure it out after that, well... I've done what I can do...

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2013, 05:22:12 pm »
Well, Chris Christie's On The Issues chart is similar to Bill Clinton's.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2013, 05:35:01 pm »

If that is true, and I think it is, the left have successfully used this, to portray the GOP as clinging to a past that will not return.

Too many GOP figures, give them examples. And the beat goes on.

One aspect of the Cucc loss which I have NOT seen discussed is going from McDonals 58% four years ago, to over 10% below that for Cucc. Could that partly be his social issues stridency?
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline aligncare

« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2013, 05:45:12 pm »
The TP started as grass roots, with no leader, no spokesman. Ideal for liberty ... but I didn't count on the efforts of the traitorous, liberal media.

If you have a loosely bound group consisting of many parts, it's easy to find the outliers and cast the whole group as conforming to the outlier's views. With no central body, and no national spokesperson, the target was just too easy for the media. ...

Great observation. Complete agreement.

What you described is an argument for the tea party to reach some accord or coalition with establishment GOP, rather than make an attempt at autonomy. We already have plenty of third parties.

Offline MBB1984

« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2013, 06:39:08 pm »
Why do we need a Republican Bill Clinton?  Why not just vote for Hillary, the genuine article?

Offline aligncare

« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2013, 06:59:30 pm »
Except Hillary is not pro-life or pro-traditional marriage or pro-business. Nor is Hillary for tax cuts or shrinking government spending as Chris Christie as governor of New Jersey has proven he is for.

With all due respect, your comparison is specious.

« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2013, 07:28:03 pm »
The TP started as grass roots, with no leader, no spokesman. Ideal for liberty. Each group was whatever they wanted to be with conservatism as a common thread. Conservatism in the sense of small government, and fiscal responsibility. Seemed like a good idea to me, but I didn't count on the efforts of the traitorous, liberal media.

If you have a loosely bound group consisting of many parts, it's easy to find the outliers and cast the whole group as conforming to the outlier's views. With no central body, and no national spokesperson, the target was just too easy for the media.

The media is expert at telling a stupid public what to think.

That was exactly what I was trying to explain to them.   I even read a book on the virtues of organizing that way--in loose clusters with no central organization--I can't remember the name of the book, and its driving me crazy.

« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2013, 07:28:10 pm »
Except Hillary is not pro-life or pro-traditional marriage or pro-business. Nor is Hillary for tax cuts or shrinking government spending as Chris Christie as governor of New Jersey has proven he is for.

Your comment just made me realize something, Christie's principles aren't very deep.  For example, he was against obamacare, went against setting up exchanges and such until the first couple of Republican governors went with Medicaid expansion, then he went for it.  Same thing with gun control and gay marriage.
He's not against anything as long as he isn't the first.  He's not a leader, he's a follower.

« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2013, 07:30:11 pm »
That was exactly what I was trying to explain to them.   I even read a book on the virtues of organizing that way--in loose clusters with no central organization--I can't remember the name of the book, and its driving me crazy.

I don't know the name of the book either but it's a central principle in anti-government groups.  Basic cell structure, prevents people from knowing co-conspirators.

« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2013, 07:35:21 pm »
Remembered it!  :woohoo:

The Starfish and the Spider

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2013, 08:20:24 pm »
Why do we need a Republican Bill Clinton?  Why not just vote for Hillary, the genuine article?

Bingo. In just about every state in the union other than NJ, NY, CA or WA -  Christie is a Democrat.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2013, 08:22:26 pm »

Neither is Christie.  A tax cutter doesn't expand medicaid in their state.  And the economy in NJ is absolutely nothing to write home about... Christie has done nothing to turn it around - unlike Perry in Texas for example.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline xfreeper

« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2013, 08:35:26 pm »

I don't know. Does he like cigars?

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2013, 08:37:51 pm »

I don't know. Does he like cigars?

Don't know about that, but the book Double Down says his wife has a really foul mouth - just like Hillary.

Offline xfreeper

« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2013, 10:50:37 pm »
I don’t think Christie is totally amoral like b Clinton however I’m not sure there is much daylight between them politically. Personally, I will never support anyone that is not an unabashed supporter of the 2nd amendment. That is my proverbial canary in the mine shaft. Anyone that would compromise on any  part of the constitution would do so on other parts. Beyond that, anyone that doesn’t recognize the right of people to defend themselves is never to be trusted.