Author Topic: Can Chris Christie be the Republican Bill Clinton? By: Rich Lowry  (Read 5183 times)

Offline rustynail

Re: Can Chris Christie be the Republican Bill Clinton? By: Rich Lowry
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2013, 10:55:51 pm »
That weight loss surgery he had has been know to cause mental issues.

Offline Carling

« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2013, 11:09:39 pm »
I agree.  It is what it is.

I was at a dinner party on Halloween.  Politics came up, and the people there pretty well scoffed at the Tea Party because they perceived it exactly that way-like a resurgence of Pat Robertson.  And one of them was a freedom-loving fiscal conservative who would buy into the TP philosophy if he was clear on what it was.

I'll add "at the beginning" to what I bolded, say that it's my opinion.  Taxed Enough Already in 2009 had nothing to do with immigration, or abortion, or anything outside of true capitalism, and leaving more money in the hands of consumers rather than having government redistribute it.

As with anything, though, different factions who were disappointed with the GOP, many including social conservatives, started to co-opt the Tea Party movement to the point it's become a bit of a parody of itself.  I'm all for a new TEA movement that focuses solely on fiscal policy, and cutting the size of government.  The social issues, frankly, are a battle the social conservatives are losing.
Trump has created a cult and looks more and more like Hitler every day.
-----------------------------------------------

Oceander

« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2013, 06:12:10 am »

I'm all for a new TEA movement that focuses solely on fiscal policy, and cutting the size of government.  The social issues, frankly, are a battle the social conservatives are losing.

Absolutely.  And, quite frankly, most social issues ought to be given the old - the real - liberal treatment (liberal as in John Stuart Mill and parties like the Australian Liberal Party), which is, namely, that they're a matter of private business that the government should generally not get involved with.  Beyond that, the focus on social issues ought to be on protecting that same sphere of privacy so that social conservatives do not find themselves being forced to participate in social activities they abhor.  Social conservatives have, unfortunately, not made that defense any sort of a priority and they are now beginning to suffer for it with things like Obamacare's insistence on forcing religious groups to offer things like contraceptives regardless of the fact that contraception is anathema to the groups' religious beliefs.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2013, 06:20:30 am »
Funny that the only people who keep indicating the TP is about social issues is the people who don't consider themselves TP in the first place.  Anyone who has actually been to a rally knows it is about fiscal conservatism... if they would actually look at what TEA actually stands for they would know that

TEA - Taxed Enough Already.  It really is that simple.. it's all about getting back to our constitution - while we still have one.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline raml

« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2013, 10:41:46 pm »
Morals and character have not gone out of style it is just harder to find a person who has them. Christie will never get my vote he is a democrat and I will not vote for anyone who is a rhino. Guess what you people also aren't living in the mid west who are fed up with liberal eastern united states politics. You have no idea how fed up we are with liberals and rhinos maybe you will get to see in the 2014 election if not we can kiss our country and values all good bye. Tea partiers are the only people I have met with common sense anymore.

Offline olde north church

« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2013, 11:01:20 pm »
Morals and character have not gone out of style it is just harder to find a person who has them. Christie will never get my vote he is a democrat and I will not vote for anyone who is a rhino. Guess what you people also aren't living in the mid west who are fed up with liberal eastern united states politics. You have no idea how fed up we are with liberals and rhinos maybe you will get to see in the 2014 election if not we can kiss our country and values all good bye. Tea partiers are the only people I have met with common sense anymore.

I have always wondered why more serial killers come from the central states.
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2013, 11:06:02 pm »
Good point. The GOP gets so bogged down in the religion/social issue swamp that it drowns them.
Americans aren't as religious, or moral, as they were 30 years ago. Like it or not, it's true.

Exactly, Relic!    And it doesn't translate that we're "anti-religion" or anything like that.

I cherish my growing up Catholic and having a Jesuit education.

But leave the bible with your coat in the coatroom when it comes to winning elections in today's USA.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2013, 11:55:34 pm »
Christie is being built up by the media so he can go down in flames against Hellary.

Nothing more...

:thumbsup:

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #33 on: November 09, 2013, 12:48:52 am »
Exactly, Relic!    And it doesn't translate that we're "anti-religion" or anything like that.

I cherish my growing up Catholic and having a Jesuit education.

But leave the bible with your coat in the coatroom when it comes to winning elections in today's USA.

You're the one who brought religion into the thread - ergo accusing those of us who don't kneel at the alter of Christie of being rabid socons..........
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #34 on: November 09, 2013, 02:35:16 am »
You're the one who brought religion into the thread - ergo accusing those of us who don't kneel at the alter of Christie of being rabid socons..........

I did nothing of the sort.

Furthermore, all I was doing was expressing my liking the current flavor of the month.  Chris Christie.

It doesn't mean I'm not going to fall in love with somebody else before the 2016 convention.

And all I attempted to do was show his 'positives'....and all you wanted to do was bite my head off and then top it off by telling me you'd sit it out and not vote.

You wanna dance again, Rap?   :laugh:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #35 on: November 09, 2013, 03:03:30 am »
I did nothing of the sort.

Furthermore, all I was doing was expressing my liking the current flavor of the month.  Chris Christie.

It doesn't mean I'm not going to fall in love with somebody else before the 2016 convention.

And all I attempted to do was show his 'positives'....and all you wanted to do was bite my head off and then top it off by telling me you'd sit it out and not vote.

You wanna dance again, Rap?   :laugh:

I don't think any of us should "fall in love" before the debates and until we know who is running, but that i JMHO....... and this is your quote BTW my friend:

Opinions/Blogs / Re: Grover Norquist Calls Christie a ‘Strong Voice for Conservative Governance’
« on: Today at 04:18:27 PM »
Quote from: Rapunzel on Today at 04:15:34 PM

What is that supposed to mean?

It means I'm sick and tired of SOCONS dictating the path the GOP must take.  That's what it's supposed to mean.

SOCONS = Social Conservatives. No one here was even discussing social conservatives in re: Christie.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #36 on: November 09, 2013, 03:06:10 am »
[[ Find one basic issue, keep religion and race out of it ]]

So long as one of the parties continues to do everything possible to drive religion out of America, and so long as that same party continues to do everything possible to push the issue of race to the forefront in a one-sided attack against the Euro-majority, what you wish for is impossible.

Won't happen.

Offline Fishrrman

« Reply #37 on: November 09, 2013, 03:10:33 am »
[[ Christie is being built up by the media so he can go down in flames against Hellary.
Nothing more... ]]

Dan the gourmet man nails it.

The non-support of the national democrats, producing a low turnout and "lopsided" election (Christie seemed to win "support" amongst Hispanics because few turned out as a whole, and those who did were predisposed to vote for him, thus "increasing" his percentage of the vote), is a set-up.

They're hoping that Christie will rise amongst Republicans like a gaseous new Hindenburg, and then they're going to break out the matches in '16...
« Last Edit: November 09, 2013, 03:11:08 am by Fishrrman »

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #38 on: November 09, 2013, 03:14:49 am »
I don't think any of us should "fall in love" before the debates and until we know who is running, but that i JMHO....... and this is your quote BTW my friend:

Opinions/Blogs / Re: Grover Norquist Calls Christie a ‘Strong Voice for Conservative Governance’
« on: Today at 04:18:27 PM »
Quote from: Rapunzel on Today at 04:15:34 PM

What is that supposed to mean?

SOCONS = Social Conservatives. No one here was even discussing social conservatives in re: Christie.

Since when does typing the word SOCON denote religion?  WTH??

There are many people that have social conservative POVs that are not religious.

Offline Fishrrman

« Reply #39 on: November 09, 2013, 03:17:47 am »
[[ But leave the bible with your coat in the coatroom when it comes to winning elections in today's USA. ]]

No RINO could have said it more succinctly...

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #40 on: November 09, 2013, 03:27:40 am »
[[ But leave the bible with your coat in the coatroom when it comes to winning elections in today's USA. ]]

No RINO could have said it more succinctly...

I'm a Republican because I was always self-employed.  Since my paper route when I was twelve.

I ironed my own shirts.  And folded my own clothes.  And put them away.  Since I was eight.

I'm a Republican because at a critical time in my life when politics mattered, Reagan was the candidate.

I'm a Republican today because the Democrats are the Enemy Within.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #41 on: November 09, 2013, 01:55:43 pm »
I'm a Republican because I was always self-employed.  Since my paper route when I was twelve.

I ironed my own shirts.  And folded my own clothes.  And put them away.  Since I was eight.

I'm a Republican because at a critical time in my life when politics mattered, Reagan was the candidate.

I'm a Republican today because the Democrats are the Enemy Within.

No. Sorry. You're wrong. Someone's opinion is that you're a RINO. Therefore, you're not what you say you are. Get it? You have been judged. Sentence has been passed. Deal with it.

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #42 on: November 09, 2013, 02:28:56 pm »
No. Sorry. You're wrong. Someone's opinion is that you're a RINO. Therefore, you're not what you say you are. Get it? You have been judged. Sentence has been passed. Deal with it.

8888crybaby

[/s]
« Last Edit: November 09, 2013, 02:29:27 pm by DCPatriot »

Offline MBB1984

« Reply #43 on: November 10, 2013, 01:29:52 am »
Except Hillary is not pro-life or pro-traditional marriage or pro-business. Nor is Hillary for tax cuts or shrinking government spending as Chris Christie as governor of New Jersey has proven he is for.

With all due respect, your comparison is specious.

Christie is only "Pro-life" or pro anything for political convenience.  In that regard he is exactly like Bill Clinton.  Neither has any real core, except promoting himself.  Neither has any real moral character either.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #44 on: November 10, 2013, 03:32:53 am »
Christie is only "Pro-life" or pro anything for political convenience.  In that regard he is exactly like Bill Clinton.  Neither has any real core, except promoting himself.  Neither has any real moral character either.

Exactly.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #45 on: November 10, 2013, 01:14:22 pm »

http://www.lifenews.com/2011/01/24/new-jersey-governor-chris-christie-headlines-pro-life-rally/

From lifenews:

New Jersey Governor Chris Christie continued the strong relationship he’s developed with pro-life advocates in the northeastern state by attending and speaking at the Rally for Life at the Statehouse steps today.

New Jersey Right to Life is the sponsor of the event that received more publicity thanks in part to the governor’s appearance.

“I stand with you,” on opposing abortion, the governor told the crowd, and “with each and every one of those precious human lives.”

15 years ago, before Christie sought political office, Christie had a change of heart:

Talking about his own views, Christie added: “As you all may know this is not an issue that I always understood nor was I always on your side. It is an issue I came to grow and learn about in a very personal way. My daughter Sarah will turn 15 in February. When I heard her heartbeat at three months in our doctor’s office, it was at that moment that it became clear to me that being on the sidelines on this issue was not something I could live with. I needed to speak out in favor of a very simple idea, that that child is a life which deserves protection.”

As a Christian, I believe in redemption, I believe a person's heart can change.

Christie is pro-life.

Offline Lipstick on a Hillary

« Reply #46 on: November 10, 2013, 01:22:39 pm »
Me too.  I believe him here. 

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #47 on: November 10, 2013, 02:04:01 pm »
http://www.lifenews.com/2011/01/24/new-jersey-governor-chris-christie-headlines-pro-life-rally/

From lifenews:

15 years ago, before Christie sought political office, Christie had a change of heart:

Talking about his own views, Christie added: “As you all may know this is not an issue that I always understood nor was I always on your side. It is an issue I came to grow and learn about in a very personal way. My daughter Sarah will turn 15 in February. When I heard her heartbeat at three months in our doctor’s office, it was at that moment that it became clear to me that being on the sidelines on this issue was not something I could live with. I needed to speak out in favor of a very simple idea, that that child is a life which deserves protection.”

Christie is pro-life.

I will say this AC, Chris Christie leaves a bad taste in my mouth anymore.  As a person that regards herself as a "southerner", I'll acknowledge a degree of pre-judging him because he is a "yankee" conservative and that is different than a southern conservative.  Yankee conservatives are needed where they are at. 

Which brings me to this, Rudy Guiliani.  When he was running - I liked him for New York - but for a lot of the same reasons I don't like Christie, I didn't like him for the rest of the country. 

I'll say it now that in retrospect - I would one million times rather Guiliani have won than Obama.  But the fix is in.  Elections in America are pretty much rigged and I have little faith in the process.  We must win by such a huge margin to offset that and that is our challenge. 
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #48 on: November 10, 2013, 02:48:04 pm »

From lifenews:

Christie is pro-life.

Which explains why he isn't a Democrat! People who hold such views are decidedly unwelcome in that party these days!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline musiclady

« Reply #49 on: November 10, 2013, 06:41:26 pm »
Funny that the only people who keep indicating the TP is about social issues is the people who don't consider themselves TP in the first place.  Anyone who has actually been to a rally knows it is about fiscal conservatism... if they would actually look at what TEA actually stands for they would know that

TEA - Taxed Enough Already.  It really is that simple.. it's all about getting back to our constitution - while we still have one.

THANK you!

It is the left who has tried to conflate social issues with what the Tea Party is all about.  As one who still participates (as I am able) in our local Tea Party, it is the same as it has been from the beginning, about fiscal conservatism and faithfulness to the Constitution.

Those who participate in it are by and large social conservatives, but that's not what the Tea Party is about.

As a strong pro-lifer, I get my social conservative information from other sources......NOT from the Tea Party.

Both social conservatives and the Tea Party are being smeared by left and right alike.

It's sad to see it being done here.............
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.