Author Topic: NY Times: We have "high threshold" for lies  (Read 392 times)

Online rangerrebew

• America defending Veteran
  • TBR Contributor
  • “It’s easier to fool people than to convince them
NY Times: We have "high threshold" for lies
« on: November 07, 2013, 08:28:35 AM »
NY Times: We Have ‘High Threshold’ for Lies

by Larry O'Connor  5 Nov 2013 

The New York Times has an explanation for their characterization of President Obama's deceptive claim that "if you like your health insurance, you can keep your health insurance." It is not as a "lie," but merely that Obama "mis-spoke."

Times public editor Margaret Sullivan addressed the criticism on Monday: 

On Monday, I asked the editorial page editor, Andrew Rosenthal, about the wording.

“We have a high threshold for whether someone lied,” he told me. The phrase that The Times used “means that he said something that wasn’t true.” Saying the president lied would have meant something different, Mr. Rosenthal said — that he knew it was false and intended to express the falsehood. “We don’t know that,” he said.

Contrary to what many readers and commenters are saying, The Times has frequently been tough on the president and his administration in recent months on subjects from press rights to surveillance to drones.

But “misspoke” does suggest a one-time slip of the tongue.

Wouldn’t it have been better, I asked Mr. Rosenthal, if the editorial had said that Mr. Obama’s statements “clearly weren’t true,” or that the president “was clearly wrong” when he repeatedly made those statements?

He responded that the editorial’s language was fine, but he also allowed, “We could have done that.”
« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 08:29:12 AM by rangerrebew »
America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves. Abraham Lincoln

Online andy58-in-nh

Re: NY Times: We have "high threshold" for lies
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2013, 09:09:14 AM »
In other words, according to the New York Times, the President unintentionally "misspoke".

30 times.
Why has Trump done scores of interviews on Fox and virtually nowhere else the last two months? Because he’s not interested in winning over undecideds, independents, or swing voters — you know the sort of thing serious presidential candidates do. No, he’s reselling the same product to people who’ve already bought it so he can take the customers with him after the election.

Liberalism isn't really about making the world a better place. It's about reassuring the elites that they are good people for wanting to rule over it.

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2013, 09:14:02 AM »
Where the hell is William Ayers now when we REALLY need him?    :whistle:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"If you want to change the world, go home and love your family".    ...Mother Teresa

"It's not the mountain before you, but the pebble in your shoe"      ....or something like that

Offline musiclady

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2013, 11:23:30 AM »
They were pretty quick to use the word "lie" when they were referring to Bush's position on WMD (shared by the rest of the world), weren't they?

Nice that they've become so generous to President's now...........    **nononono*
"What unrepentant sin against Jesus Christ does a Republican have to commit, before you will stop rewarding them with your vote?"

I don't vote for degenerate liberals.  No matter what letter they have after their names.

May 3, 2016 - the day the Republican party left ME.  I am now without a Party, and quite possibly without a country.  May God have mercy!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo