Author Topic:  (Read 3385 times)

Offline Cincinnatus

« on: November 06, 2013, 08:22:24 PM »
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2013, 08:32:13 PM »
Same. Good luck to her.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2013, 10:30:50 PM »
I believe Laurie Dhue who disappeared from FOX News went through the same thing, and it may have been the reason she left FOX.  Its good to see her back on the Blaze.   
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2013, 10:35:52 PM »
I believe Laurie Dhue who disappeared from FOX News went through the same thing, and it may have been the reason she left FOX.  Its good to see her back on the Blaze.

Yes. She did a one-hour interview with Beck discussing it, very poignant.

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2013, 11:35:18 PM »
Laurie Dhue and Elizabeth Vargas both very beautiful women and the last people you would suspect of being alcoholics. But that's our fault or maybe the fault of Hollywood of stereotyping what an alcoholic looks like. 
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Online truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
    • The place where argument addicts can go
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2013, 01:38:06 AM »
Laurie Dhue and Elizabeth Vargas both very beautiful women and the last people you would suspect of being alcoholics. But that's our fault or maybe the fault of Hollywood of stereotyping what an alcoholic looks like.
On Feb. 5, 2014 I will celebrate 20 years sober. Trust me, alcoholics come in all flavors. I've attended meetings with entertainment figures, doctors, lawyers, teachers, police, business owners, priests, rich and poor.

Consider yourself fortunate if nobody in your families has had a problem. My sister-in-law, from a very well to do family, lost a brother and sister-cut down way too young. She was instrumental in getting me help.

Most alcoholics get plenty of help, but never surrender to the truth--they can never drink or drug safely.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2013, 01:44:46 AM »
Most alcoholics get plenty of help, but never surrender to the truth--they can never drink or drug safely.

That was the hardest lesson to learn. You get a little voice inside your head, whispering "Go on, just one. you are cured!" Took a while to get that and learn to tell the voice to go away - though in blunter terms. It is BS. Being an addict is for life. All you can do is try not to.

Congrats on 20 years!  :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: I'll be 4 years sober in 10 days  :laugh:

Offline Cincinnatus

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2013, 01:48:49 AM »
Said it before and I shall now say it again: God bless and aid both of you, Truth_Seeker and EC, in your endeavors to stay sober.
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2013, 02:57:57 AM »
He did, my friend. He did.

Online truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
    • The place where argument addicts can go
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2013, 01:02:07 AM »
Said it before and I shall now say it again: God bless and aid both of you, Truth_Seeker and EC, in your endeavors to stay sober.
Thanks. The path to happy long term sobriety is: don't drink, don't die, don't forget you cannot ever expect to drink "successfully" like others can, because you are an alcoholic.

And there is nothing to be ashamed of, you won't miss the "good times" others that can drink, may have.

Alcoholics Anonymous saves lives, families, marriages, and if it is a cult, it is a cult that aims to do good, and does do good.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Oceander

• Technical
  • TBR Illuminati
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2013, 01:06:35 AM »
That was the hardest lesson to learn. You get a little voice inside your head, whispering "Go on, just one. you are cured!" Took a while to get that and learn to tell the voice to go away - though in blunter terms. It is BS. Being an addict is for life. All you can do is try not to.

Congrats on 20 years!  :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: I'll be 4 years sober in 10 days  :laugh:

While it's not nearly as destructive, smoking is a similar addiction when it comes to not smoking.  I see myself as a smoker who just hasn't felt like lighting one up for the last 4-1/2 years, but I am still a smoker, and I know that I cannot just socially smoke the way some people can; I either don't light up at all, or I smoke a pack to a pack and a half a day; there is little in between.  I'd rather not smoke around my daughter, and I sure as shootin' don't feel like giving Bloomie or Uncle Cuomo all the tax money they put on cigarettes, so I just don't smoke, and I don't let myself try to fool myself into thinking that I can manage my smoking the way that a social smoker can.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2013, 06:05:40 AM »
While it's not nearly as destructive, smoking is a similar addiction when it comes to not smoking.  I see myself as a smoker who just hasn't felt like lighting one up for the last 4-1/2 years, but I am still a smoker, and I know that I cannot just socially smoke the way some people can; I either don't light up at all, or I smoke a pack to a pack and a half a day; there is little in between.  I'd rather not smoke around my daughter, and I sure as shootin' don't feel like giving Bloomie or Uncle Cuomo all the tax money they put on cigarettes, so I just don't smoke, and I don't let myself try to fool myself into thinking that I can manage my smoking the way that a social smoker can.

Yep - addiction is addiction. The bugger of it is, you tend to replace one addiction with another. It seems to be a defect in the brain - bad bit of wiring - that creates the addictive personality.

The guy who got me off drinking virtually disappeared for a year after he quit himself. Was he in rehab? Drinking again? Dead? We didn't know. Turns out he was spending nearly 10 hours a day playing World of Warcraft, on top of his job. He replaced one addiction with another. Another dear friend (almost a daughter) who stopped drinking became obsessed with all things Riddick. Another (who does actually call me Dad when we chat :laugh: ) replaced cutting with cooking. Not eating - cooking.

Sure, those replacement activities are all harmless enough - but they are still addictions.

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2013, 07:51:07 AM »
I have a theory that addictions are mechanisms that attempt to fill a hole in your psyche.  I quit my cigarette habit when I was 30 years old - 27 years ago.  I still have pangs for one when I am under increased stress.  I loved the ritual of the morning cup of coffee, the morning paper and a cigarette.  Aaaahhhhhh........

But I digress and I haved dated myself too.  My husband smoked many years after I quit & it bothered me everyday.  Now, he has quit & we're good.  However, I can still smoke "socially" on rare occasions.  I have a special friend that smokes the same brand I used to & I will bum one from him about once a month.  My husband realizes that if he just had ONE cigarette, he would go back to chain smoking. 

My cigarette addiction helped me deal with stress, it was a social crutch for my husband as he is naturally an introvert and shy.  I replaced smoking with cooking AND eating, and of course, gained weight afterward (most of which I still worry with). 

***cool cat***
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline mountaineer

• Paranoid Hillbilly
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2014, 08:47:37 AM »
“Hell hath no fury like a vested interest masquerading as a moral principle.” - Ryan T Anderson

Offline happyg

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2014, 09:03:19 AM »
If true, her husband wasn't as supported as he pretended to be. His infidelity certainly wouldn't help a wife struggling with alcoholism, and might have led her to it.

However, what you see is not always what it seems. We owned a neighborhood bar, and the gossip was constant. Most of it was false. I hope, for their sake, that it was just a dinner with friends.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2014, 09:11:52 AM »
Hey! My wife obviously had an affair, since she went out to dinner twice with a mate of mine while I were away and she was seen kissing him once on the cheek.

Nice evidentiary standard, Page Six. Unfortunately, the National Enquirer pretty much has that line sewn up.

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2014, 09:16:03 AM »
If true, her husband wasn't as supported as he pretended to be. His infidelity certainly wouldn't help a wife struggling with alcoholism, and might have led her to it.

However, what you see is not always what it seems. We owned a neighborhood bar, and the gossip was constant. Most of it was false. I hope, for their sake, that it was just a dinner with friends.

Yeah, and what kind of "mutual friend" would call a friend while she was in rehab to tell her something like that?
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline mountaineer

• Paranoid Hillbilly
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2014, 09:23:03 AM »
“Hell hath no fury like a vested interest masquerading as a moral principle.” - Ryan T Anderson

Offline mountaineer

• Paranoid Hillbilly
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2014, 09:48:01 AM »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf