Author Topic: White racists more likely to be gun owners: study  (Read 3297 times)

Offline flowers

White racists more likely to be gun owners: study
« on: November 06, 2013, 08:04:57 pm »
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/nov/6/study-suggests-link-between-gun-ownership-racism/?page=all

Are gun ownership and racism linked?

Researchers have found that the more racist beliefs held by a white person, the more likely the person is to own a gun — conclusions that have rankled gun rights advocates.

A team led by Kerry O'Brien, of Monash University in Australia and The University of Manchester in the United Kingdom, examined white Americans’ negative perceptions about blacks and compared the rates of both gun ownership and opposition to gun control to discover the correlations.

Researchers based their conclusions on the results of a multiple-choice questionnaire that measured responses to a series of statements about attitudes toward black people. The more strongly a person agreed with a statement, the more points they accumulated.

The total points were then averaged to come up with a score between one and five that determined “symbolic racism.” Researchers found that the more points a person accumulated, the greater their chances of owning a gun and of opposing gun control.

The report, published in the peer-reviewed online publication PLoS One, said that for each one-point increase “there was a 50 percent increase in the odds of having a gun in the home and a 28 percent increase in support for policies allowing people to carry concealed guns.”

While symbolic racism, which is a subtle but modern measure of anti-black racism, was associated with higher rates of gun ownership, researchers also attempted to identify signs of overt racism, which did not appear to have any correlation to gun ownership.

The study used data collected through the American National Election Studies — an academically run survey of U.S. voters — but only sought to measure white respondents beliefs, since whites have been found far more likely than blacks to oppose gun control measures.

A Pew Research Center study from January found that 53 percent of whites said they want to protect their rights to gun ownership while only 24 percent of blacks said the same.

It’s not the first time race and opinions on gun policy have been linked, and one gun rights activist called the study’s conclusions “preposterous.”

“I think the notion that someone is trying to tie gun ownership to racism is silly,” said Dave Workman, an editor at the Second Amendment Foundation’s magazine.

Noting an increase in the last five years in the number of permits to allow people to carry concealed weapons, Mr. Workman said he’s seen anecdotal evidence that gun ownership is increasing among minorities, including blacks, Hispanics and women.

Others caution that, though linking the two topics in a study can result in knee-jerk outrage, the results aren’t all that surprising.

“One person can read this and say gun owners are racists — and that’s not what it says,” said John Hudak, gun policy researcher with the Brookings Institution. “It says racists are gun owners.”

Researchers note that whites’ stronger opposition to gun control has shifted over the course of the last century. The study says that during the civil rights movement black activists exercised their right to carry guns for protection from police and extreme white factions, and that the response white people was to demand stricter gun control.

Citing results that show attitudes among white people toward guns appear to be influenced by “illogical racial biases,” the study’s authors suggest that gun-control policies might need to be implemented “independent of public opinion.”

Let me see if my list is up to date.....The left says I am racist. I therefore don't want children to have fresh air. No unicorns for anyone  (I would only shoot and eat it with my racist gun) No more blue skies for anyone but us racist.  I know there should be more on this list, I can't think of any because it is time to feed my lawn jockey his gruel.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 08:13:25 pm by flowers »

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
Re: White racists more likely to be gun owners: study
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2013, 09:13:34 pm »
Wow!  Talk about drawing aside the irony curtain!  Two members of the British Empire lecturing Americans about racism and guns...

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2013, 09:20:45 pm »

Meanwhile blacks are murdering both blacks and whites at a rate far in excess of white racists and nobody says a word because it is impossible for blacks to be racist...

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline PzLdr

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2013, 10:51:16 pm »
Black gangbangers more likely to fire handguns sideways: Reality.
Hillary's Self-announced Qualifications: She Stood Up To Putin...She Sits to Pee

Offline rustynail

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2013, 11:12:46 pm »
Do they eat carrots?

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2013, 11:37:40 pm »
Black gangbangers more likely to fire handguns sideways: Reality.

That always makes me giggle.

Look, I know a guy who can hold sideways and get a 1 inch grouping.

One guy. He has been shooting for 45 years. The tendons in his wrist look like steel cables. His arms? Lets just say that you don't want to arm wrestle with him.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2013, 12:12:21 am »
Meanwhile blacks are murdering both blacks and whites at a rate far in excess of white racists and nobody says a word because it is impossible for blacks to be racist...
Well it just cannot really be addressed at this time. You know, we have the first President of color, and he is living in the house with the office with the rounded edges.

We can't discuss it, because we can't even give it useful words or names.

I repeat the findings of a widely referenced academic book, and get called a "racist" because that is what we do, these days.

When we have no substantive ideas, we name call. It is sort of like climate change/global warming.

Which is somewhat like names like negro, colored, black, etc. when they become popular, then go out of favor, etc.

It is racist to live in the suburbs, too.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln