Author Topic: Maine governor candidate Mike Michaud comes out  (Read 1006 times)

Offline Cincinnatus

Maine governor candidate Mike Michaud comes out
« on: November 05, 2013, 01:38:04 am »
Democratic gubernatorial candidate Mike Michaud announced Monday that he’s gay, ending years of speculation and potentially sharply changing the dynamic of the 2014 gubernatorial race.

Michaud, 58, currently serving his sixth term in the U.S. House of Representatives, made the disclosure in a column submitted to three of the state’s major news outlets, including the Portland Press Herald. He said he was making the announcement in response to “the whisper campaigns, insinuations and push polls” that unidentified people have been using to raise questions about his personal life since he declared his candidacy.

“They want people to question whether I am gay,” Michaud said. “Allow me to save them the trouble with a simple, honest answer: ‘Yes I am. But why should it matter?’ ”

As congressman for Maine’s more conservative 2nd Congressional District, Michaud has long sidestepped questions about his sexuality. But on Monday he made it the subject of a column submitted by his campaign, which required strict reporting and publishing embargoes. Now, nearly a year away from the 2014 election, Michaud’s sexual orientation moves to the forefront, potentially dominating what was expected to be a highly competitive three-way race.

In addition to the Press Herald, the column was submitted to The Associated Press and the Bangor Daily News.

If successful in defeating Republican Gov. Paul LePage and independent Eliot Cutler, Michaud could become the first openly gay governor in the country. Former New Jersey Gov. James McGreevey revealed that he was gay in 2004, but the announcement coincided with his resignation and a blossoming public scandal. Michaud now joins Maryland Democratic candidate Heather Mizeur in seeking to become the first openly gay candidates elected governor.

http://www.pressherald.com/politics/Maine_governor_candidate_Mike_Michaud__I_m_gay_.html
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Re: Maine governor candidate Mike Michaud comes out
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2013, 04:27:42 am »
OK. You are gay.

I should care? Why?

Are you using your position to benefit yourself, financially or sexually? If not, what you do in your own home is of zero interest to me.

Is being gay the defining aspect of your life, or are you simply a man who prefers other men? If it defines you, then you need to get more of a life. Sexuality is one relatively insignificant aspect of personality.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline rb224315

• Custom Title goes here
  • Personal Text goes here
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2013, 10:05:48 pm »
I should care? Why?

Agreed.  I don't care what people do in their bedrooms as long as they consent.  Sure, I think some things are odd, freaky, unhealthy, whatever, but as long as no coercion is involved, I can't see myself supporting the government getting involved.  Having said that . . . .

“They want people to question whether I am gay,” Michaud said. “Allow me to save them the trouble with a simple, honest answer: ‘Yes I am. But why should it matter?’ ”

. . . . my question is a bit different:  "why did you, Mr. Michaud, bring it up?"  Libs are constantly blathering about conservatives' concern for what goes on in people's bedrooms, but it's the libs who constantly bring it up.
rb224315:  just another "Creepy-ass Cracka".

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2013, 01:54:01 am »
. . . . my question is a bit different:  "why did you, Mr. Michaud, bring it up?"  Libs are constantly blathering about conservatives' concern for what goes on in people's bedrooms, but it's the libs who constantly bring it up.

Solid point. I am trying to remember the book and failing - might have been Suetonius. Someone brought up that a persons "sexual indiscretions" were a convenient excuse for getting rid of someone in power.

Progressives are good at that.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2013, 02:37:47 am »
It used to be that a revelation like this would have sunk a campaign. Now it will probably get him sympathy votes.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online mountaineer

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2013, 05:26:57 pm »
Sexuality is one relatively insignificant aspect of personality.
Some people believe that what they do defines who they are, which is rather pathetic.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org