Author Topic: Lindsey Graham turns hard right in bid to retain US Senate seat  (Read 987 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Lindsey Graham turns hard right in bid to retain US Senate seat
« on: November 06, 2013, 02:02:31 pm »
http://www.examiner.com/article/lindsey-graham-turns-hard-right-bid-to-retain-us-senate-seat

November 5, 2013

Lindsey Graham (R-SC) is talking tough and taking a hard right turn in his bid to win the GOP primary in South Carolina. Graham is apparently attempting to appeal to his base and win over conservative voters in light of recent polls that show his support in the South Carolina GOP primary race may be eroding, thanks in part to his soft stance on Obamacare, as well as his support for amnesty for illegal immigrants and spying on American citizens by the NSA.

On Fox News Sunday on Nov. 3, Graham promised to introduce legislation that would ban abortions after 20 weeks of pregnancy.

“That’s what a rational, humane society should do,” Graham said to Fox News Sunday host, Chris Wallace. “Protect a child that can feel pain from an abortion, unless there’s the life of the mother, rape or incest involved."

Graham also reiterated his recent promise to block all of President Obama's political appointees until survivors of last year's terrorist attack in Benghazi are allowed to testify before Congress during the broadcast.

“I don’t think it’s over the top to find out what happened to four dead Americans,” he said. “I don't think it’s over the top to talk to survivors. The State Department interviewed these survivors.”

Graham's current GOP primary opponents are not polling well at the moment, but it's early, and the real campaigning hasn't even begun. SC State Senator Lee Bright is polling at 15%, while conservative attorney Richard Cash and Lowcountry businesswoman Nancy Mace are both polling at around 4%. Some SC voters believe Mace may only be in the race to split the vote and ensure a Graham victory according to rumors circulating on Facebook and other social media sites. Those rumors have been floating around for a while, but gained steam over the weekend after Mace was photographed posing with Graham at a tailgate party during the Citadel football team's homecoming game last Saturday. Graham is currently at 51%, but it would only take a slight move to force a runoff in the primary since a candidate needs over 50% to win.

Congressman Mick Mulvaney and former Governor-turned-Congressman Mark Sanford are rumored to be considering a run as well. Bill Connor, a former candidate for lieutenant governor, is also said to be close to joining the race.

Voters opposed to Graham say they are not fooled by his tactics. It's typical of him to latch onto conservative issues at election time, and this time around is no different. His tough talk on Benghazi and abortion doesn't surprise them. Graham's promise to block all of Barack Obama's political appointees until the Benghazi survivors are allowed to testify before Congress rings empty. He certainly wasn't very interested in blocking ultra-liberal SCOTUS appointees Sonya Sotomayor and Elena Kagan during their confirmation process.

He also didn't seem very interested in siding with Republicans to block Obamacare when he had the opportunity. Instead he aligned himself with Harry Reid and the Democrats on the cloture vote a few weeks ago. Graham's excuse for going soft on opposition to Obamacare was that blocking funding of the unpopular healthcare law stood no chance in a Democrat-controlled Senate. Does he really believe his proposed abortion legislation will fare any better?

Graham is calling for support from fellow Republicans to help get the bill passed. “The only way this will work is if my GOP colleagues get behind me and Democrats too and support my request to find out exactly what happened,” he said.

No doubt Graham will find that support among Republicans, unfortunately Senators Ted Cruz, Mike Lee, and other GOP members couldn't count on any support from him during the Obamacare funding fight and the ensuing government shutdown.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline GourmetDan

Re: Lindsey Graham turns hard right in bid to retain US Senate seat
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2013, 03:15:48 pm »

Just lie to your constituents, Nancy-boy.  You'll get away with it.

There are plenty of voters too stupid to figure it out.

Doncha just love universal suffrage?

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

rangerrebew

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2013, 04:54:04 pm »
He's every bit as trustworthy as Obama. >:D

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2021, 02:34:15 am »
And now that the SOB has been re-elected:

https://twitter.com/ColumbiaBugle/status/1430339269629972485

Watch the video!

He only needs you on election day!

@Hoodat @Right_in_Virginia @EdinVA
« Last Edit: August 25, 2021, 02:47:16 am by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2021, 02:47:08 am »
The face of a weasel.  And all the rodent traits too.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2021, 02:56:33 am »
The face of a weasel.  And all the rodent traits too.

:yowsa: :amen:

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline jafo2010

• Dems-greatest existential threat to USA republic!
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2021, 03:37:25 am »
Not sure why he is concerned about incest.  The average product of incest has to be more intelligent than the average American, which are dumb as a box of rocks. 

But getting serious, I would have thought Trey Gowdy would have given Graham a run for his money.  Gowdy is a bag of hot air, but at least he says the rights things.  Graham is not reliable.

Graham is the fool that said some pretty nasty things about Trump when Graham harvested all of 1 % of the primary vote before dropping out of the contest against Trump.  I haven't forgotten.

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2021, 12:15:30 pm »

Watch the video!

@Bigun
I have never been totally comfortable with Graham... He has always been inconsistent and pretty much unpredictable, but I don't see him any worse than the romney or mcConnell.

On the other hand, the questions that comes to mind is, it is only a subcommittee vote so maybe getting it to the floor with more visibility so people can see what is happening is good...
They are all crooks in my mind...

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2021, 01:31:04 pm »
@Bigun
I have never been totally comfortable with Graham... He has always been inconsistent and pretty much unpredictable, but I don't see him any worse than the romney or mcConnell.

On the other hand, the questions that comes to mind is, it is only a subcommittee vote so maybe getting it to the floor with more visibility so people can see what is happening is good...
They are all crooks in my mind...

Well @EdinVA I certainly agree with that last part.  You can count the good ones with the fingers of one hand and have one or two left over IMHO.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online mountaineer

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2021, 01:37:08 pm »
Doesn't he turn hard right every six years - and once reelected, go right back to being a sniveling yes-man to the Democrats and RINOs?
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2021, 01:41:07 pm »
Doesn't he turn hard right every six years - and once reelected, go right back to being a sniveling yes-man to the Democrats and RINOs?

And media darling.  as I said above, the only time he needs the voters is on election day.  After that it's right back to business as usual.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2021, 06:32:45 pm »

Watch the video!

I saw this last night @Bigun and thought the hits just keep coming.  Linda didn't appear on Tucker's show, but was the first guest on Hannity's --- where he received a great big hug.

It made me sick.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2021, 06:35:52 pm »
I saw this last night @Bigun and thought the hits just keep coming.  Linda didn't appear on Tucker's show, but was the first guest on Hannity's --- where he received a great big hug.

It made me sick.

I do not watch Hannity ever. 

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2021, 07:03:45 pm »
Lady Lindsey has never been anything more than a poser and an opportunist.

Damn shame,since she is most likely one of the smartest congresscritters in congress,if not THE smartest.

Unfortunately,she never seems to wake up and get serious about her job until her re-election is in question.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Slide Rule

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2021, 07:05:20 pm »
I do not watch Hannity ever.

Ditto. Hannity is out.
White, American, MAGA, 3% Neanderthal, and 97% Extreme Right Wing Conservative.

Recommended

J Boswell, The Life of Samuel Johnson
E Burke, Reflections on the Revolution in France
N Davies, Europe: A History
R Feynman, The Feynman Lectures on Physics
R Penrose, The Road To Reality & The Emperor's New Mind
K Popper, An Open Society and Its Enemies & The Logic of Scientific Discovery
A Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago, & Everything he wrote

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2021, 07:07:02 pm »

@mountaineer

Well,I may be wrong,but I suspect if he didn't,the next thing you would hear would be your local teebee talking head saying "There is some earth-shattering news about Lady Lindsey Graham to be see in tonights news at eleben."
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online mountaineer

« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2021, 08:44:03 pm »
@mountaineer

Well,I may be wrong,but I suspect if he didn't,the next thing you would hear would be your local teebee talking head saying "There is some earth-shattering news about Lady Lindsey Graham to be see in tonights news at eleben."
Oh yes, the party of homosexuality is always threatening to out Linzy.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org