Author Topic: D.C. Council Votes Unanimously to Urge Redskins to Change ‘Racist and Derogatory’ Name  (Read 1211 times)

Offline Cincinnatus

The District of Columbia’s City Council voted unanimously Tuesday to approve a measure urging the Washington Redskins football franchise to change its nickname because of its “racist and derogatory” nature.

Ten of the 13 D.C. council members voted yes on the measure; two were absent; and one voted “present.” No one voted against the bill that has no actual legislative impact. The council has no official control over the football team that resides in Landover, Maryland and practices in Virginia.

Councilmember David Grosso originally led the charge behind the bill calling for the team to rename itself the Washington Redtails in honor of the Tuskegee Airmen, but the bill passed this afternoon contains no such language. The councilman did, however, manage to announce before the vote that the current name is “racist and derogatory.”

“Native Americans throughout the country consider the term ‘redskin’ a racial derogatory slur akin to the ‘N-word’ among African-Americans or the ‘W-word’ among Latinos,” he said in the speech. “Enough is enough.”

Despite the council’s vote, polling shows that most locals don’t want to see a name change. Nevertheless, Grosso said in his speech, “I do not care what the polls indicate.” He added: “A name change will not in any way jeopardize the loyalty that the fans have for this team.”

The team itself has, thus far, remained steadfast in its refusal to change the name. A recent campaign called for fans to speak out and support the team.

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/d-c-council-votes-unanimously-to-urge-redskins-to-change-racist-and-derogatory-name/
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Once abstained and two were no-shows .....for the vote.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

rangerrebew

I wonder when they will vote to rename the city Obama D.C.? :woohoo:

Offline mountaineer

The council has no official control over the football team that resides in Landover, Maryland and practices in Virginia.
Apparently, the council also has no pressing matters within the boundaries of D.C. that might require their attention.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline flowers

I wonder when they will vote to rename the city Obama D.C.? :woohoo:
I wonder when he will fly the al-quada flag over the white house.  :smokin:

Offline GourmetDan

I think the owner should propose to change the name to the Washington Crackers.

Just to see what happens...      :silly:

« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 06:19:33 pm by GourmetDan »
"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline NavyCanDo

Personally, I like Teams that are named after something that reminds you of their state or location. Dallas Cowboys, Seattle Seahawks, Denver Broncos, New England Patriots, Miami Dolphins, etc   There are a few teams where that just don’t apply, Rams, Colts, and Redskins being three.    But I just don’t know how you could fit Washington "Dirty Rotten Tax and Spend Liars" on a  jersey.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline mountaineer

Just call 'em the Washington Liars.
That's descriptive enough.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline PzLdr

If he leaves Washington in the team's name, I think he should compromise and name them after the town's major employer. Call them the "Washington Foreskins".  :whistle:
Hillary's Self-announced Qualifications: She Stood Up To Putin...She Sits to Pee

rangerrebew

I was just thinking about that and think Cracker Barrel should change it's racist derogatory name. :whistle: