Author Topic: I-522 food-labeling campaign draws millions from out of state  (Read 1634 times)

Offline Cincinnatus

I-522 food-labeling campaign draws millions from out of state
« on: November 06, 2013, 01:43:10 am »
This is a ballot initiative here is WA which has national implications. Here's the background on the measure and I will report later tonight on its fortunes, our polls being open yet another hour and 20 minutes.

SEATTLE (AP) - Washington's voters are deciding whether to label food that contains genetically modified ingredients in a campaign that has drawn millions of dollars from out of state.

The Grocery Manufacturers Association, which collected money from some of the nation's top food companies, and five major corporations have raised $22 million to defeat Initiative 522. Food-labeling supporters have raised $7.8 million, backed by Dr. Bronner's Magic Soaps and consumer groups.

I-522 supporters say consumers have the right to know what's in the food they buy, while opponents say the measure would lead to higher food costs.

Early polling showed voters supporting the measure. But a barrage of TV and radio spots from labeling foes in recent weeks have helped close the gap. Recent polling shows the race is too close to call.

If voters approve 522, Washington state would be the first state to enact labeling requirements for foods with genetically engineered ingredients. Connecticut passed a labeling law last summer that doesn't take effect until several other states pass similar laws.

LeRoy Pilant, a real estate agent from Spokane, said he voted in favor of the measure because he wants full disclosure.

"I want to know so I could choose whether to eat a product and not have them (corporations) mask what they're doing," he said. "It irritates me to no end that they brought all this money into the state to mask what they're doing with our food supply."

Dylan Wilbanks, a product designer from Seattle, said it was a tough choice but he voted against 522 after reading the studies.

"It's difficult to choose to vote for corporations. It feels wrong in every single way, but I felt that I had to choose between corporations versus a view on science I couldn't accept," he said. "At the end of the day, I can't vote for fear, I have to vote for reason."

http://www.keprtv.com/politics/Food-labeling-initiative-campaign-draws-millions-from-out-of-state-230682181.html
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Offline Rapunzel

Re: I-522 food-labeling campaign draws millions from out of state
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2013, 01:47:51 am »
Glenn Beck was talking about this on his radio show this morning.  I mentioned a few weeks ago I buy non GMO milk from grass-fed cows at my local health food store.  Not cheap, but the difference in taste is amazing.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline Cincinnatus

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2013, 05:50:57 am »
I-522 lost 55%-45%.

A great deal of money was spent by such corporations as Monsanto, Dow, Bayer, and BASF to defeat this measure, and the arguments against it were cost of compliance, inconsistency of application, and its possibly adverse effect on WA agricultural exports. All well and good but the reasons I voted against it were a most cogent argument put forth that labeling should be a function of the free market, i.e., if enough people want it, producers will comply; and the fact one of the leading Conservative lights in the WA legislature recommended a "no" vote.  I relied on his greater knowledge and the free market argument and voted against it.
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2013, 01:24:02 pm »
Glenn Beck was talking about this on his radio show this morning.  I mentioned a few weeks ago I buy non GMO milk from grass-fed cows at my local health food store.  Not cheap, but the difference in taste is amazing.

Many products seen on the shelves here in Washington markets already advertize they are non GMO, and that is a good thing because it’s the product maker making the decision to do so. To introduce a mandate, and a new layer of bureaucracy would be a disaster and have many unseen consequences.  Like higher prices.    Take a company like Kellogg’s as an example. If they  make a breakfast cereal using GM corn and the boxes they ship to Washington would have to be printed with the special labeling, but the ones they ship to the rest of the nation would not have the additional labeling. That would drive up Kelloggs cost, and in turn they would have to raise  prices.  Sort of like California’s unique gas requirements that drive up their cost.   
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline aligncare

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2013, 01:33:37 pm »
Food labeling laws are one area of government infringement that I fully support.

Too costly, yada yada. These are the same arguments used against the 1965 Fair Packaging and Labeling Act.

I demand to know what's in the food I feed my family. Period.

Edit: I've notice a slight difference between gasoline and food. Has anyone else?

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2013, 02:14:21 am »
Food labeling laws are one area of government infringement that I fully support.

Too costly, yada yada. These are the same arguments used against the 1965 Fair Packaging and Labeling Act.

I demand to know what's in the food I feed my family. Period.

Edit: I've notice a slight difference between gasoline and food. Has anyone else?

Seconded. Mom and Dad, Nana and Granddad used to tell horror stories about some of the so called "food" that used to be sold. Sadly, it still happens. Witness the horse meat scandal recently from major supermarkets. Food inspection is a government task I fully support.

And really - too costly? How much does it cost to add a single line to a package? When nut allergy became a thing, I don't recall any manufacturers or restaurants going broke for having to add the line (warning, may contain nuts) to their boxes and wrappers and menus.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2013, 03:09:48 am »
I'm one of the people who voted this nonsense down.  The measure would not do what it purported to do and would only make food more expensive.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2013, 03:11:58 am »
I'm one of the people who voted this nonsense down.  The measure would not do what it purported to do and would only make food more expensive.

Fair enough. I only skimmed it, since it was defeated.

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2013, 03:18:10 am »
Fair enough. I only skimmed it, since it was defeated.

yah...it really was a flippin' mess.  I find it difficult to believe that something this flawed could make it anywhere near the ballot, but there it was....

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2013, 03:24:51 am »
yah...it really was a flippin' mess.  I find it difficult to believe that something this flawed could make it anywhere near the ballot, but there it was....

It's like that (probably mythical) bill on the ballot to make pi = 3 exactly. 

Offline olde north church

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2013, 10:54:58 am »
I-522 lost 55%-45%.

A great deal of money was spent by such corporations as Monsanto, Dow, Bayer, and BASF to defeat this measure, and the arguments against it were cost of compliance, inconsistency of application, and its possibly adverse effect on WA agricultural exports. All well and good but the reasons I voted against it were a most cogent argument put forth that labeling should be a function of the free market, i.e., if enough people want it, producers will comply; and the fact one of the leading Conservative lights in the WA legislature recommended a "no" vote.  I relied on his greater knowledge and the free market argument and voted against it.

I'm just not the type of person who believes governments or corporations, left to their devices, will do the right thing.
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.