Author Topic: Chris Christie: I'm a Conservative, Not a Moderate  (Read 2437 times)

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Chris Christie: I'm a Conservative, Not a Moderate
« on: November 05, 2013, 11:59:20 pm »
Chris Christie: I'm a Conservative, Not a Moderate

New Jersey governor Chris Christie, a Republican, is on his way to winning big in his bid for reelection Tuesday, and there's already talk he may be on his way to running for president in three years. Speaking to CNN's Jake Tapper, Christie argued he's not a moderate as he's sometimes portrayed.

"I'm a conservative," Christie told Tapper. "I've governed as a conservative in this state, and I think that's led to some people disagreeing with me in our state, because it's generally a left-of-center, blue state."

The governor added, "The difference has been is I haven't tried to hide it, or mask it as something different." Watch video of Tapper's interview below:

video at link:    http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/chris-christie-im-conservative-not-moderate_766321.html

==================================================================
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline DCPatriot

Re: Chris Christie: I'm a Conservative, Not a Moderate
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2013, 11:59:52 pm »
This should be fun.....  :whistle:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2013, 12:00:25 am »
This should be fun.....  :whistle:

:nometalk:
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline DCPatriot

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2013, 12:07:34 am »
I know very little about Chris Christie. Having had to fly into Newark a few times and once accidentally seen Snooki, I try desperately to forget that New Jersey exists.

All I know about him is he is fat, fairly popular in his state, cozied up to Obama big time after Sandy (and got shafted, but what do you expect) and told the teachers unions where they get off.

Color me a LIV in this case. Anyone want to enlighten me?
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2013, 12:08:19 am »
Make it stop!!!!!   

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2013, 12:11:18 am »
I know very little about Chris Christie. Having had to fly into Newark a few times and once accidentally seen Snooki, I try desperately to forget that New Jersey exists.

All I know about him is he is fat, fairly popular in his state, cozied up to Obama big time after Sandy (and got shafted, but what do you expect) and told the teachers unions where they get off.

Color me a LIV in this case. Anyone want to enlighten me?

Well, look for somebody to post 'evidence' that he is overly sensitive to Muslims.  And that he didn't help Romney whatsoever.

He's also thoroughly pissed off Ann Coulter who had a serious political crush on him.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2013, 01:26:14 am »
Yep.. he thinks the Mosque at Ground Zero is a good idea, put a Sharia judge on the NJ court, is in favor of amnesty..........  love to fly around in his private helicopter for personal business on the citizens dime... maybe by NE standards he is a conservative, as far as the red states go he isn't.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2013, 01:57:41 am »
So - he's a squish.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2013, 02:00:30 am »
So - he's a squish.

More than that he has a lot of skeletons in his closet.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2013, 02:05:45 am »
More than that he has a lot of skeletons in his closet.

I'd make a tasteless joke - but I know this race is important.

Oceander

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2013, 02:48:34 am »

"I'm a conservative," Christie told Tapper. "I've governed as a conservative in this state, and I think that's led to some people disagreeing with me in our state, because it's generally a left-of-center, blue state."

That says it all:  everything is relative, and relative to the average New Jersey-ite, Christie is conservative; relative to the rest of the country, he's left of center.

It's like this:  in a group consisting of only people on the left side of center, someone who is just slightly left of center is "conservative" relative to the people who are extreme left.  That does not, however, make that person a "conservative" within the general, non-context-specific, sense.

Christie is a "conservative" relative to the average NJ-ite, who is midway between center and extreme left.  But he is only "conservative" in that very limited context, outside of that context he is not particularly conservative.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 02:48:53 am by Oceander »

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2013, 02:50:13 am »
Jake Tapper ‏@jaketapper 2m

Christie opponent Buono praises her team who "withstood the onslaught of betrayal from our own political party."

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2013, 03:02:01 am »
[[ That says it all:  everything is relative, and relative to the average New Jersey-ite, Christie is conservative; relative to the rest of the country, he's left of center. ]]

Sorry, but I won't be voting for Mr. Christie in 2016, or any year thereafter.

The last couple of elections taught me an important lesson about voting for people who don't, and who will never, represent my interests or philosophy.

No mas!

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2013, 03:39:00 am »
@SooperMexican 4m

Breaking: spineless moderate RINOs praise their fat white Obama.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2013, 11:55:13 am »
same story different source

http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,118941.0.html
Christie to CNN: Unlike Some Other ‘Conservatives’ I Don’t Try to ‘Hide’ My Real Views
That is Mediaite's title.  It is a complete fabrication if you read the quote from the story...Christie is merely saying he doesn't hide his political beliefs and he believes he is conservative.  Mediaite has created division where none was intended and the easily led respond with venom towards Christie.  This is why I call the GOP the stupid party.

rangerrebew

« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2013, 12:03:55 pm »
Yep.. he thinks the Mosque at Ground Zero is a good idea, put a Sharia judge on the NJ court, is in favor of amnesty..........  love to fly around in his private helicopter for personal business on the citizens dime... maybe by NE standards he is a conservative, as far as the red states go he isn't.

If he's a conservative, so is Bill de Blasio. :whistle:

Offline aligncare

« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2013, 12:30:09 pm »
Being objective means looking at the facts.

Christie: is pro-life.
Christie: "Let government shutdown occur, until Legislature is ready." (Jun 2012)
Christie: 2011: 2% cap on most cities' municipal spending. (Jun 2012)
Christie: Erased $11B in budget deficit via spending cuts. (Jul 2011)
Christie: against gay marriage
Christie: cut business taxes by $600 million annually
Christie: tough on crime: bail reform package: "jail violent offenders before trial"
Christie: tough on crime: as US Attorney won 130 corruption cases and lost none
Christie: on education: "Take on the teachers unions for real tenure reform." (Aug 2012)
Christie: on education: "Dems believe in teacher's unions; we believe in teachers." (Aug 2012)
Christie: on education: "Allow students in failing schools to attend better schools." (Jun 2012)

These are some reasons Christie was reelected overwhelmingly.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2013, 01:28:14 pm »
That says it all:  everything is relative, and relative to the average New Jersey-ite, Christie is conservative; relative to the rest of the country, he's left of center.

He's probably pretty close to dead center.  Which makes him an excellent candidate to win almost all the right and most of the middle. If he's a 33 degree freemason and a member of the Council on Foreign Relations he's a shoe in. 

I think whoever the rats put up is going to lose, and whoever we nominate will win.  Even a very conservative politician like Cruz could win in 2014.  I base this on recent presidential elections.  With only one exception the parties have traded the White House every 8 years since 1944.
1944-1952 FDR/Truman
1952-1960 Ike
1960-1968 JFK/Johnson
1968-1976 Nixon/Ford
1976-1984 Carter/Reagan-one exception with extraordinary economic malaise
1984-1992 Reagan/Bush
1992-2000 Clinton
2000-2008 Bush
2008-2014 Obama

I think Christie's re-election puts him at the top of a field of mostly conservatives.  His loud forceful voice could standing out among a cacophony of conservative babble.  The other GOP candidates may find they must force their conservatism further and further right to the edge every time Christie talks about how he refused to raise the $7.25 an hour minimum wage and he cut business taxes to attract jobs.  His rejections of state funding for Planned Parenthood.  Education reforms like expanding charter schools, and tenure tied to performance.  And that's all Christie will talk about until he is elected.  Jobs, taxes,and eduction.  Unless conservatives can coalesce around a candidate earlier than the last 2 elections

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2013, 02:25:19 pm »
[[ That says it all:  everything is relative, and relative to the average New Jersey-ite, Christie is conservative; relative to the rest of the country, he's left of center. ]]

Sorry, but I won't be voting for Mr. Christie in 2016, or any year thereafter.

The last couple of elections taught me an important lesson about voting for people who don't, and who will never, represent my interests or philosophy.

No mas!

So.....you will abstain from voting if your choices are a COMMIE DEM or a RINO?

Will that assuage your conscience?  Make you sleep better at night?

GEESH!!   :whistle:

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2013, 02:50:00 pm »
 I doubt I'd agree with any candidate 100 percent on every single issue - unless I was that candidate!
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2013, 03:07:34 pm »
[[ So.....you will abstain from voting if your choices are a COMMIE DEM or a RINO? ]]

If the RINO candidate is Christie or Rubio (or a few others), yes, I _WILL_ "abstain" from voting for them. I might vote in state/local elections, but that's it.

Remember the attitudes around THIS web site after Christie's [quite literal] embracing of Obama in 2012? Boy, folks sure forget quickly, don't they? Even folks at the GOP briefing room.

I'm tired of guys like that. They ain't gonna do you no favors when they get elected -- they're gonna sell you out, like the McCains and the Grahams do.

Of course, I _know_ the 'rats are going to do that. I'm just not giving my endorsement to Republicans who will do so, as well.

You also wrote:
[[ Will that assuage your conscience?  Make you sleep better at night? ]]

Yup. Don't think much of politics when I lay down to sleep at night. Not gonna start now.

Aside: how can one live in "DC" these days, and call themselves a "patriot" ???