Author Topic: Christie to CNN: Unlike Some Other ‘Conservatives’ I Don’t Try to ‘Hide’ My Real Views  (Read 4486 times)

Offline Lipstick on a Hillary

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/christie-to-cnn-unlike-some-other-conservatives-i-dont-try-to-hide-my-real-views/

Governor Chris Christie spent part of his Election Day Tuesday roaming the streets of New Jersey with CNN’s Jake Tapper, discussing what it is about his political style that is expected to win him a landslide victory over Democratic opponent Barbara Buono. In a question seemingly aimed as much at the 2016 presidential election as today’s gubernatorial one, Tapper asked Christie is he considers himself a “conservative” or more of a “moderate.”

“I’m a conservative, and I’ve governed as a conservative in this state,” Christie said, adding that he thinks that’s what made some of his constituents “disagree” with him. “The difference has that I haven’t tried to hide it, or mask it as something different.”

As an example, Christie pointed to a recent conversation with a woman in a diner who disagreed with him on a specific issue. “I finally just said to her, I said, ‘Listen, if this is your most important issue and the issue you’re deciding on, vote for Barbara Buono, because I’m not changing,’” Christie explained.

Summing up his political philosophy, Christie said, “For most folks, they’re willing to let you disagree with them a little bit, as long as they think that you’re being straight with them.” It was left unsaid which politicians Christie think try to “hide” or “mask” their real views, but it was clear he was setting himself apart as someone who stays true to himself.

Offline Lipstick on a Hillary

"Conservative" Chris Christie picks a day when Obama is being hammered for being dishonest, and Christie has to knock his ((cough)) fellow conservatives. 

God forbid this fat f**k ever lay into a democrat.

Offline Rapunzel

"Conservative" Chris Christie picks a day when Obama is being hammered for being dishonest, and Christie has to knock his ((cough)) fellow conservatives. 

God forbid this fat f**k ever lay into a democrat.

No kidding.. I've really come to major dislike this jerk.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline raml

Yes he does let us know his views and that is why we know he is not conservative and he should stop letting himself be labeled something he isn't. I dislike this man and would never vote for him no matter who would run against him he would be no better maybe even worse.

Offline MBB1984

The Pufferfish is nothing more than a moderate democrat plagued with scandals running as a Conservative.    Why any Republican would vote for a democrat in a GOP primary is beyond any rational comprehension.

Offline flowers

Offline Relic

Count me in that camp. I thought Christie had potential. I was wrong, he's just a loud mouth, abrasive, self serving slob.

Offline happyg

Count me in that camp. I thought Christie had potential. I was wrong, he's just a loud mouth, abrasive, self serving slob.

I thought the same, too. He is the worst kind because he pretends he is different from the others. He has a big mouth, but nothing worthwhile comes out of it.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

:thumbsup:

Offline olde north church

He's currently leading Buono 70 - 30
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Offline collins

For sure, Chrispy Creme is going to win tonight and win big but I hope he stays in Joisey and doesn't try to run for POTUS in 2016. Too loud, too fat, too moderate.

Offline Rapunzel

http://hotair.com/archives/2013/11/05/open-thread-christiepalooza/

snip....

Update: As expected, the networks call it for Christie promptly at 8 p.m. Now we wait for the margin and the exit polls.

Update: Both the NYT and CNN have exit poll data from New Jersey. You’ll notice their numbers don’t match: CNN has Christie winning 45 percent of Latinos, which is in line with his polling, while the Times has him winning just 31 percent. The reason for the discrepancy is that exits get adjusted over the course of election night as new data comes in. One of them has outdated numbers although it’s not clear which. It’ll be a few hours before we have more solid information. The NYT data does, however, have him in the ballpark of the magic 60 percent mark overall. And CNN has him winning 56 percent of women and more than 20 percent of black voters. Impressive if that’s what the final data looks like.

Update: A pithy counterargument:

The @ChrisChristie did so well among minorities and women!!! As long as a massive historic storm hits all of America in 2016, we're solid!!!

— MexyCare.Org (@SooperMexican) November 6, 2013

Update: And a counter to the counter:

And Christie becomes the first social conservative re-elected in New Jersey.

— Patrick Ruffini (@PatrickRuffini) November 6, 2013

Update: How many points was Christie’s handling of the Sandy aftermath worth to him? Eight? Ten? Not only did it build support for him locally but, as Noah Glyn says, it probably discouraged more formidable Democrats from challenging him. This is the easiest (and soundest) way to discredit tonight’s victory if you’re a Christie-hater, I think: It’s impressive, but it’s based on a fluke. Everyone loved Giuliani after 9/11 too, and then he tried to parlay it into a national candidacy and it went nowhere. Christie will do better than Rudy for various reasons but he risks running into the same problem of mistaking goodwill derived from solid crisis management for broad-based national support.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline Rapunzel

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

Just recently?  Get used to him he is probably going to be the next President.

He's Haley Barbour without the charm.  If Jeb doesn't run, he WILL get the Bush seal of approval as well.

Offline Relic

Just recently?  Get used to him he is probably going to be the next President.

Ha! I'd bet real money against that.

If, by chance, he survives to become the nominee, he'll find out just how much his "friends" in the media really like Republicans. Think: McCain.

Barring some unusual event, Hillary has it in the bag.

Offline aligncare

From the 'in case you missed it' department, or rather the 'you don't want to deal with it' department:

Being objective means looking at the facts.

Christie: is pro-life.
Christie: "Let government shutdown occur, until Legislature is ready." (Jun 2012)
Christie: 2011: 2% cap on most cities' municipal spending. (Jun 2012)
Christie: Erased $11B in budget deficit via spending cuts. (Jul 2011)
Christie: against gay marriage
Christie: cut business taxes by $600 million annually
Christie: tough on crime: bail reform package: "jail violent offenders before trial"
Christie: tough on crime: as US Attorney won 130 corruption cases and lost none
Christie: on education: "Take on the teachers unions for real tenure reform." (Aug 2012)
Christie: on education: "Dems believe in teacher's unions; we believe in teachers." (Aug 2012)
Christie: on education: "Allow students in failing schools to attend better schools." (Jun 2012)

These are some reasons Christie was reelected overwhelmingly.

http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,118976.msg482091.html#msg482091

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

From the 'in case you missed it' department, or rather the 'you don't want to deal with it' department:

Being objective means looking at the facts.

Christie: is pro-life.
Christie: "Let government shutdown occur, until Legislature is ready." (Jun 2012)
Christie: 2011: 2% cap on most cities' municipal spending. (Jun 2012)
Christie: Erased $11B in budget deficit via spending cuts. (Jul 2011)
Christie: against gay marriage
Christie: cut business taxes by $600 million annually
Christie: tough on crime: bail reform package: "jail violent offenders before trial"
Christie: tough on crime: as US Attorney won 130 corruption cases and lost none
Christie: on education: "Take on the teachers unions for real tenure reform." (Aug 2012)
Christie: on education: "Dems believe in teacher's unions; we believe in teachers." (Aug 2012)
Christie: on education: "Allow students in failing schools to attend better schools." (Jun 2012)

These are some reasons Christie was reelected overwhelmingly.

http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,118976.msg482091.html#msg482091

Great post.

Offline Relic

His dealings with the teacher's union is where I thought he had potential.

I guess your list means that I should forget that Christie is pro muslim, anti tea party, and intentionally threw Romney under the bus when he snuggled up to the great and powerful Barack?

If Christie is the best we have, screw it. Christie has shown me that his self interest trumps all else.

Offline aligncare

Sorry you feel that way.

The way I see it, if you lower my property taxes, business taxes, cut government spending and waste, give me school choice, oppose infanticide—you've got my vote.

That other stuff you mentioned is just peripheral noise.

Offline Relic

Sorry you feel that way.

The way I see it, if you lower my property taxes, business taxes, cut government spending and waste, give me school choice, oppose infanticide—you've got my vote.

That other stuff you mentioned is just peripheral noise.

Perhaps what you classify as noise is simply your fingers in your ears as you say "la la la la". You display a fair amount of hubris, scolding others for being less thoughtful than yourself, while trying to make a case for a man that has some serious flaws you ignore.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-08-15/with-an-economy-like-new-jersey-s-why-the-love-for-christie-.html

Bloomberg News has created just such an index, called the Bloomberg Economic Evaluation of States, or BEES, which tracks everything from employment to home prices to the stock performance of companies based in the state.

That index shows that Christie's time as governor hasn't, in fact, been good for New Jersey's economy. From the time he took office at the beginning of 2010 to March of this year, the state's performance on the measures tracked by BEES puts it 45th among the states. Before Republicans place Christie on a pedestal, they might want to take a closer look at those measures.

Let's start with the good news: Personal income and employment have both increased in New Jersey since he became governor. So has tax revenue, which the Bloomberg index uses as a proxy for economic activity.

Now the bad news. The increases in all three indicators lag the national median, in some cases severely. Employment is up just 2.2 percent, the sixth-lowest increase nationwide. Personal income has risen 10.5 percent, which sounds good but ties with Rhode Island for third-smallest gain in the country. Tax revenue is up 7.1 percent -- less than in 44 other states.

The picture for New Jersey-based companies is likewise uninspiring. The value of publicly traded companies has increased in every state since the end of 2009. That includes New Jersey, whose companies have seen their stock prices rise an average of 47 percent. But that leaves the state in 40th place nationwide.

On other BEES indicators, New Jersey has lost ground not just relative to other states but in absolute terms. Mortgage delinquencies have increased by 2.8 percent since Christie took office -- the most of any state during that period. Home prices are down 6.7 percent, putting New Jersey in the bottom quartile of states.

So compared to the country as a whole, New Jersey has faltered since Christie took office.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 01:58:33 pm by Relic »

Perhaps what you classify as noise is simply your fingers in your ears as you say "la la la la". You display a fair amount of hubris, scolding others for being less thoughtful than yourself, while trying to make a case for a man that has some serious flaws you ignore.

It was worse under Corzine and McGreevey

Offline Relic

It was worse under Corzine and McGreevey

Ok, so a bad job is enough to recommend someone because the other guys to do the job before him were worse?

I'm getting confused about what qualifies someone to be president.

Ok, so a bad job is enough to recommend someone because the other guys to do the job before him were worse?

I'm getting confused about what qualifies someone to be president.

The point is, you take the best you can get at the time.

Offline Relic

The point is, you take the best you can get at the time.

That's ok for New Jersey. I get it. Christie is a rock ribbed conservative in the eyes of New Jersey residents.

If Christie is the best we can do for POTUS, well, what's the point? I don't see enough difference between him and Hillary to compel me to vote for him. I will leave that portion of the ballot blank.