Author Topic: Federal appeals court temporarily halts horse slaughter for human consumption  (Read 688 times)

Offline flowers

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/11/04/federal-appeals-court-temporarily-halts-horse-slaughter-for-human-consumption/?intcmp=latestnews

A federal appeals court has temporarily put the brakes on plans to resume horse slaughter for human consumption in the U.S., after a New Mexico judge last week dismissed a push by animal rights groups to stop the practice.

The 10th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in Denver on Monday issued a temporary injunction barring the Department of Agriculture from inspecting the plants.

Slaughterhouses in New Mexico and Missouri had hoped to start up as soon as this week after the federal judge in Albuquerque on Friday threw out a lawsuit by The Humane Society of the United States and other animal protection groups.

Their lawsuit alleged the Agriculture Department failed to conduct proper environmental studies when it issued permits to the slaughterhouses. The groups filed an immediate appeal and won the emergency injunction.

"Horse slaughter is a predatory, inhumane business, and we are pleased to win another round in the courts to block killing of these animals on American soil for export to Italy and Japan,"  Wayne Pacelle, president and CEO of The Humane Society of the United States said after the injunction was issued Monday. "Meanwhile, we are redoubling our efforts in Congress to secure a permanent ban on the slaughter of our horses throughout North America."

Blair Dunn, who represents Valley Meat Co. of Roswell, N.M., and Rains Natural Meats of Gallatin, Mo., emphasized the order was temporary.

"We know the 10th Circuit will follow the law and allow my clients to proceed as soon as our side is considered," Dunn said. "The plaintiffs have misstated the law, the facts and the science. We look forward to a quick decision when the facts are considered and the District Court's careful decision is reviewed."

The practice of slaughtering horses for human consumption was legal and fairly common in the United States for many years.

In 2005, Congress voted to withhold funding for USDA inspections of horse meat. It was a way to stop the slaughters because meat for human consumption at the time had to be

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/11/04/federal-appeals-court-temporarily-halts-horse-slaughter-for-human-consumption/?intcmp=latestnews

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Horse slaughter is a predatory, inhumane business ....

While cow slaughter, pig slaughter, chicken slaughter and even fishing are totally fine. Breeding turkeys that break their own legs trying to walk, dogs that can't breathe without surgical intervention. Chickens that grow far too fast and never see the light of day, raised for nuggets. Cows that will die in horrible agony if they are not milked twice a day. Eating fetuses - what else are eggs? Or infants - most people like the odd lamb chop. How about plants that can't even breed without human help? Is that a predatory, inhumane business? Or cutting flowers, thus preventing the plant from doing the one thing it is meant to - reproducing.

Emotion, attempting to trump fact again. Sure, horses are graceful and majestic. Got one of my own, though he is getting a bit old to ride now. Stubborn sod - we always had an agreement. He would try to kill me while being ridden and I would try not to be killed. Then we'd get back to the stables, he'd get groomed with little sighs of pleasure and we'd talk. Doesn't make him any less edible.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink