Author Topic: LIVE UPDATES: Early Turnout for Virginia Governor's Election: 'A Trickle'  (Read 14167 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2013/11/05/Early-Reports-on-Turnout-for-Virginia-Governor-s-Election-A-Trickle

by Michael Patrick Leahy 5 Nov 2013, 8:02 AM PDT post a comment
Early reports from voters at two polling places in Virginia's gubernatorial election, one in Richmond and one in Lynchburg, indicate that as of 9:30 am eastern standard time, turnout has been just "a trickle."

A third report, from Rustburg in rural Campbell County, a conservative stronghold, indicates turnout is good there. At that location, Cuccinelli signs are highly visible and McAuliffe signs are not present.

UPDATE (11:06am EST): The Virginia State Board of Elections reports turnout for the following counties (as of 11am EST):

Montgomery                     12.9%

Petersburg                         .8%

James City County           15%

Falls Church                        25%

Waynesboro                      7.7%

Halifax                                  10%

Poquoson                           15%

Martinsville                        10%

UPDATE (11:12am EST) Alexandria Turnout Mixed. Mike Flynn: I voted in my precinct in Alexandria City around 9:30am. Just under 30% of the precinct had voted by then. My precinct generally has a higher turnout than the rest of the state. My precinct is overwhelmingly Democrat.

Other precincts around Alexandria had much lighter turnout. A source following election day voting told Breitbart News that turnout was running behind 2009 levels. In that election, 40% of Virginia voters went to the polls.

McAuliffe will win Alexandria handily, but he needs a very big turnout here to overcome his losses in the rest of the state.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Re: LIVE UPDATES: Early Turnout for Virginia Governor's Election: 'A Trickle'
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2013, 06:02:45 pm »
Don't worry. I'm sure by the end of the day those solidly blue counties will have greater than 100% turnout to shift everything in McAwful's favor.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2013, 06:08:02 pm »
UPDATE (11:12am EST) Alexandria Turnout Mixed. Mike Flynn: I voted in my precinct in Alexandria City around 9:30am. Just under 30% of the precinct had voted by then. My precinct generally has a higher turnout than the rest of the state. My precinct is overwhelmingly Democrat.

Other precincts around Alexandria had much lighter turnout. A source following election day voting told Breitbart News that turnout was running behind 2009 levels. In that election, 40% of Virginia voters went to the polls.

McAuliffe will win Alexandria handily, but he needs a very big turnout here to overcome his losses in the rest of the state.

UPDATE (11:45am EST) Pickett:

A Loudoun County polling site located in East Lovettsville at Lovettsville Elementary School is on target for a 50 percent turnout a polling site official told Breitbart News. As of 10:45 AM around 430 people had voted at that polling site. According to the polling official, that same site received an 80 percent turnout rate from voters in 2012.

UPDATE (Noon, EST)  The Virginia State Board of Elections reports turnout for the following counties (as of 11:49am EST):

Dickenson                           7%

Highland                              7%

Westmoreland                  15%

Sussex                                  17%

Alleghany                            9%

Bristol                                   14%

Northampton                    19%

UPDATE (12:29pm EST) Pickett:

A Loudoun County polling site located in Purcelville at Emerick Elementary School has had an over 20 percent turnout rate sine noon. Over 600 Virginia residents have voted at this precinct so far. It should be noted that 105 absentee ballots have also been cast at this site as well.

UPDATE (12:43pm EST) Absentee ballots are up from 2009. The Virginia State Board of Elections reports 121,000 absentee ballots have been returned in 2013. In 2009, 88,189 absentee ballots were cast. With around 2 million votes expected to be cast, absentee voting makes up a very small share of the overall electorate.

UPDATE (12:50pm EST) From the great BearingDrift blog on Virginia politics:

Here's some turnout numbers for Fairfax. As of 10 AM, 140 of 238 prec. reporting, 60,602 votes out of 665,301 active voters or 9.1%.
    — Brian W. Schoeneman (@BrianSchoeneman) November 5, 2013

Brian Schoeneman is a member of the Fairfax County election board.
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Offline flowers

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2013, 06:40:40 pm »
fl

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2013, 06:42:07 pm »
I do not like or trust absentee voting - or electronic machines
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Support the USO

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2013, 07:42:11 pm »
http://www.breitbart.com/InstaBlog/2013/11/05/Polling-Machine-Problems-Happening-In-Swing-County-In-Virginia

Polling Machine Problems Happening in Swing County in Virginia
by Kerry Picket 5 Nov 2013, 4:24 AM PDT

Problems appear to already be happening on election day in Virginia. Two callers from Loudoun County called into WMAL's Morning's on the Mall radio show and told hosts Larry O'Connor and Brian Wilson that the electronic validation system across the county was down when they showed up to go vote.

Warner from Lovettsville said, "I got to the polls about 6:15 and the parking lot was packed and I go in and there are about hundred people in line and come to find out that the electronic system to validate voters is down. They didn't have the printed voter registration list for the first time ever, as far as I can tell. Up until about 6:40 not one person had voted in lovettsville and it looks like a countywide problem."

Paul from Lovettsville agreed telling WMAL, "I'm experiencing the exact same thing he did. I  arrived just before six 'o' clock. The great news was that in Loudoun County the lines were packed. People were definitely showing up, but once you got in, there was a connectivity problem. Two people would get through and then we'd stop and wait and then just kept going over and over. And the poor IT guy, he was working everything he could, but he told me that the connectivity problem was a countywide problem."

In Bristol County a  man who called into WMAL and told Brian and Larry that when he tried to vote the machine incorrectly cast his vote for libertarian Rob Sarvis, but the problem was later corrected.

The WMAL newsroom confirmed with Loudoun County officials that there is indeed a county wide connectivity problem. Loudoun is considered to be a swing county during election season.

**UPDATE**

A polling official at the site of the polling place experiencing connectivity problems at the Lovettsville Community Center told Breitbart News on Tuesday that three laptops still need to be networked to one another, but the ethernet hub issue is not causing people from casting their votes or long lines in the Loudoun County town. As of 10:15 AM, over 300 individuals have voted at this polling site. Such a number, the polling official said, is a good turnout so far for the small town.
Support the USO

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2013, 09:08:25 pm »
I just had a news blast saying turnout in the "democrat" areas are seeing heavy turnout.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2013, 09:25:39 pm »
UPDATE (2pm EST) From the Facebook Page of The News Leader in Staunton, VA:

Post by The News Leader.

UPDATE (3:10pm EST) From Pickett:

An Arlington County polling site located in Clarendon at the Courtlands precinct had an 18 percent turnout rate as of 3:10 PM. According to the onsite election official, 572 voters cast their ballots up to this point.

Note: Like Alexandria, McAuliffe will win Arlington by a large margin. He needs a heavy turnout as well, though.

UPDATE (3:30pm EST) More info from BearingDrift's Brian Schoeneman in important vote-rich Fairfax County:

General numbers: Braddock has between 20-30%; Hunter Mill 22-39%; Dranesville 25-36%; Lee 20-34%; Mason 23-40; Mt. Vernon 18.6-29.7

And

More general numbers: Providence 17-30%; Springfield 22-37%; Sully 17-37%. These are a spread based on those precincts who have reported

UPDATE (4:07pm EST) Norther Virginia Tea Party emails to its supporters a message from Fairfax County GOP Chair Jay McConville:

Mid-Day numbers are rolling in, and while early, we know one thing for sure. This looks like it will end up being a very close race which means that every little thing you do matters.

Tell your neighbors and friends that we need them to get to the polls right away! All of us in Virginia are counting on you to do your part. 
Support the USO

Offline flowers

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2013, 09:54:17 pm »
I just had a news blast saying turnout in the "democrat" areas are seeing heavy turnout.
not good. I am sure the unmarked vehicle with the extra votes in the trunk will arrive soon at all the polling locations.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2013, 09:56:35 pm »
not good. I am sure the unmarked vehicle with the extra votes in the trunk will arrive soon at all the polling locations.

What the heck is wrong with the conservatives in VA... they need to get out and vote... especially in light of the third party guy being an Obama shill... they are pulling the same trick to elect McAuliff as McCain used here in AZ to win... pay a guy to get in and stay in the race to bleed off the conservative votes.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2013, 10:32:52 pm »
UPDATE (4:07pm EST) Norther Virginia Tea Party emails to its supporters a message from Fairfax County GOP Chair Jay McConville:

Mid-Day numbers are rolling in, and while early, we know one thing for sure. This looks like it will end up being a very close race which means that every little thing you do matters.

Tell your neighbors and friends that we need them to get to the polls right away! All of us in Virginia are counting on you to do your part. 

Offline ABX

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2013, 11:08:02 pm »
Here is a link for live results as they come in (official versus media).
http://electionresults.virginia.gov/resultsSW.aspx?type=SWR&map=CTY

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2013, 11:08:44 pm »
I have a feeling I will be depressed tonight....again..
Support the USO

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2013, 11:16:18 pm »
Exit polls - 48% for O-Care - 50% against O-care.  Hmmm wonder if this means if Cuch looses it will be all on the ringer in the race... bet it does.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2013, 11:19:10 pm »
UPDATE (4:30pm EST) Pickett: A polling site located in Alexandria at Landrey precinct 101 had a 35 percent turnout rate as of 4:07 PM. According to the onsite election official, 789 voters cast their ballots up to that point.

UPDATE (4:45pm EST) Pickett:  A polling site located in Alexandria at precinct 102 had an over 50 percent turnout rate as of 4:21 PM. According to the onsite election official, 1002 voters cast their ballots up to that point.

UPDATE (5:15pm EST) Pickett: A polling site located in Alexandria at precinct 103 had a 40 percent turnout rate as of 4:34 PM. According to the onsite election official, 1400 voters cast their ballots up to that point.

UPDATE (5:58pm EST) Flynn: As we wait for the polls to close in Virginia, a funny story from New Jersey. This morning fire alarms went off at Christie campaign headquarters. An aide told Breitbart News, "same thing happened in 09, so a good sign." Not that Christie needed any good omens. He is expected to win reelection by 20 points. The key test for Christie is how long his coat-tails are for legislative contests. 

UPDATE (6:10pm EST) Pickett: A polling site located in Alexandria at precinct 104 had a 30 percent turnout rate as of 5:03 PM. According to the onsite election official, 1389 voters cast their ballots up to that point.

Note: Alexandria precincts 101, 102, 103 are among the more Republican precincts in the city. All three look to have very strong turnout. Precinct 104 is among the more Democrat precincts. So far, its turnout is lower. 

Offline ABX

« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2013, 11:26:36 pm »
I have a feeling I will be depressed tonight....again..

The way the media has been playing this as a bell-weather race, I have the same feeling. This was a nasty race and McAulliffe threw everything at him, plus the Libertarian spoiler funded by Obama isn't helping.

I suspect the difference will be single digits and the phony Libertarian will have spoiled it.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2013, 11:52:50 pm »
Well, it's 6:52 in Virginia .... have they called the race for McAuliffe yet?

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2013, 11:59:19 pm »
UPDATE (6:24pm EST) Flynn: Since we are about an hour away from the first election results, Breitbart Readers should take a look at the interesting crib-sheet from Virginia Public Access Project and its "Six Things to Watch" as returns come in, forwarded by Breitbart's Tony Lee. VPAP is one of those hair-shirted groups that frets about "money in politics," but these are some pretty astute goalposts.

According to VPAP, things are going well for Republicans if:

1. The Shenandoah Valley Amps the Turnout

The GOP statewide ticket has a favorite son -- Mark Obenshain -- from the ruby-red Shenandoah County. Republicans need to crank the turnout in the counties of Augusta, Rockingham, Shenandoah and Frederick.

Returns VPAP will track: The turnout in 20 precincts where McDonnell won 80% or better four years ago. Anything over 55% turnout would be a good thing for Republicans.

2. If Loudoun County Turns Red

No candidate since Mark Warner in 2001 has won a statewide election without carrying Loudoun County, an ex-urb behemoth with 210,000 registered voters. Loudoun has full-on politics this year – all House seats are contested and most are targeted. Democrats have a local guy – Mark Herring -- running on the statewide ticket. Loudoun is a real test of party ground game this year.

Returns VPAP will track: Seven precincts where McDonnell won 55% or better in 2009 and Obama won 52-55% in 2012. If these precincts go solidly red, Republicans might be able to breath easier.

3. Can the Center Hold in the Republican Party

This year’s election has exposed GOP fault lines between the country club establishment and the upstart Tea Partiers. Some high-profile Republicans – led by Lt. Governor Bill Bolling – have refused to endorse Cuccinelli or have outright defected to Terry McAuliffe.

Returns VPAP will track: Eight precincts in the near west end of Richmond and Henrico in the proximity of the Country Club of Virginia. Each of these precincts gave at least 2/3 of vote to McDonnell in 2009 and Romney in 2012. Cuccinelli is in good shape if he can draw 66% or better.

Things will be going well for Democrats, according to VPAP, if:

1. If Federal Workers Rise “Inside the Beltway”

Frank O’Leary, the elected treasurer in true-blue Arlington, reports that this year’s election will break all records in non-presidential absentee voter turnout. He speculated it was federal workers – angered by the federal Government shutdown last month.

Returns VPAP will track: County-wide turnout in Arlington. A turnout of 44% or more would put a smile on McAuliffe's face.

2. If Virginia Beach Glows Blue

The state’s largest city once was a reliable GOP stonghold. Jim Gilmore came out of Virgnia Beach with a 17,000-vote margin in 1997. The GOP margin was cut by half four years later and, in 2005, Democrat Tim Kaine carried Virginia Beach. The city returned to form four years ago to give hometown Republican Bob McDonnell a 27,000-vote margin.

Returns VPAP will Track: 8 precincts where Kaine did 52% or better in 2005 and McDonnell won by more than 60% four years later.

3. The Core-City African-American Vote Turns Out

Returns VPAP will Track: Twenty-eight precincts in Hampton, Norfolk, Petersburg, Portsmouth and Richmond that gave 95% or greater of the vote to Barack Obama in 2012. Democrats are looking for a turnout in these precincts of 36% or more.
Support the USO

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2013, 12:16:56 am »
Fox News...too close to call
Support the USO

Offline ABX

« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2013, 12:18:15 am »
Well, it's 6:52 in Virginia .... have they called the race for McAuliffe yet?

Fox all but did 'calling' the exit polls and now discussing how it is good for Hillary's prospects.

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2013, 12:18:41 am »

CNN and MSNBC have called it for the Rats and said Cuccinelli will concede in a few minutes.
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2013, 12:18:46 am »

That'll change ... they'll call it in 10 minutes.

Offline happyg

« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2013, 12:18:47 am »
Va. Board of Elections

Cuccinelli 457 - 55.73%
McCauliff 274 - 33.41%
Sarvis       89 - -10%

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2013, 12:19:06 am »
Fox all but did 'calling' the exit polls and now discussing how it is good for Hillary's prospects.

Fox wants Hillary to run and win.  It is good for their ratings.
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton