Author Topic: Here’s Why eBay Just Issued a Public Apology  (Read 1664 times)

Offline happyg

Here’s Why eBay Just Issued a Public Apology
« on: November 05, 2013, 03:29:13 am »
LONDON (AP) — Online auction site eBay has apologized after a newspaper found apparent Holocaust memorabilia, including the clothes of concentration camp victims, being offered for sale.

Britain’s Mail on Sunday newspaper said items included shoes and a suitcase from concentration camp prisoners, Star of David armbands that Jews were forced to wear and the alleged uniform of a Polish baker who died in Auschwitz.

Heres Why eBay Just Issued a Public Apology
EBay said it had removed 30 items from the site and donated 25,000 pounds ($40,000) to a suitable charity.

The company said in a statement that “we don’t allow listings of this nature, and dedicate thousands of staff to policing our site and use the latest technology to detect items that shouldn’t be for sale. We very much regret that we didn’t live up to our own standards.”

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/11/03/heres-why-ebay-just-issued-a-public-apology/#comments

Oceander

Re: Here’s Why eBay Just Issued a Public Apology
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2013, 03:42:03 am »
It might be distasteful, but I'm not sure why items of that nature should never be sold.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2013, 02:17:36 pm »
It might be distasteful, but I'm not sure why items of that nature should never be sold.
I agree.  :shrug:
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2013, 03:03:39 pm »

As you know, I've been selling on eBay for years, and the list of items I can no longer sell keeps getting bigger and bigger:

No ivory, even antique ivory
No toy cap guns
No WWII German memorabilia

The site has become increasingly politicized.  For example, they have a very strict policy on toy cap guns, but even if you comply with it, hordes of liberal activists complain about the listing and the managers pull it anyway.  The same with anything made of ivory.

Unfortunately, there is no better site out there for selling antiques and collectibles.  Plus, I have to admit eBay made me rich, so although I have a love/hate relationship with them, I also acknowledge they provided a vehicle for me to become financially independent for the rest of my life.  So I take the good with the bad.  It's not unlike being a Republican.

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2013, 03:12:12 pm »

You all should bone up on your Holocaust reading, and then you might realize that some of these items may well be the only surviving remains of a living person's relative, and it is obscene to allow anything of this nature to be sold for profit when there is still much other former personal property that remains in various State hands, that ought to have been returned to the rightful owners long ago.

Are we now so morally detached from reality that we no longer even recognize the significance of the Holocaust, much less recognize the lingering remains??!

I strongly suggest reading William Shirer's definitive master work "The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich" as a good starting point for your personal journey of discovery on this subject....

Oceander

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2013, 02:38:28 am »
You all should bone up on your Holocaust reading, and then you might realize that some of these items may well be the only surviving remains of a living person's relative, and it is obscene to allow anything of this nature to be sold for profit when there is still much other former personal property that remains in various State hands, that ought to have been returned to the rightful owners long ago.

Are we now so morally detached from reality that we no longer even recognize the significance of the Holocaust, much less recognize the lingering remains??!

I strongly suggest reading William Shirer's definitive master work "The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich" as a good starting point for your personal journey of discovery on this subject....

I know quite enough about WWII, the Holocaust, and the rest of it.  That my emotional response isn't as sharp as yours doesn't make my reaction less valid than yours.

SPQR

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2013, 02:46:18 am »
As you know, I've been selling on eBay for years, and the list of items I can no longer sell keeps getting bigger and bigger:

No ivory, even antique ivory
No toy cap guns
No WWII German memorabilia

The site has become increasingly politicized.  For example, they have a very strict policy on toy cap guns, but even if you comply with it, hordes of liberal activists complain about the listing and the managers pull it anyway.  The same with anything made of ivory.

Unfortunately, there is no better site out there for selling antiques and collectibles.  Plus, I have to admit eBay made me rich, so although I have a love/hate relationship with them, I also acknowledge they provided a vehicle for me to become financially independent for the rest of my life.  So I take the good with the bad.  It's not unlike being a Republican.

This site sells memorabilia.WW2 Posters, Coins, Stamps, Paper Money, Memorabilia, Ephemera, Online Store, Since 1993.             

http://www.wwii-collectibles.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=WOC&Category_Code=gr
http://go-armynavy.com/military-surplus/collectibles/wwii2
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 02:47:48 am by SPQR »

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2013, 01:28:33 pm »
This site sells memorabilia.WW2 Posters, Coins, Stamps, Paper Money, Memorabilia, Ephemera, Online Store, Since 1993.             

http://www.wwii-collectibles.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=WOC&Category_Code=gr
http://go-armynavy.com/military-surplus/collectibles/wwii2

Thanks for the information!