Author Topic: Book: Huntsman campaign peddled Herman Cain rumors to press  (Read 1342 times)

Offline Rapunzel

Book: Huntsman campaign peddled Herman Cain rumors to press
« on: November 04, 2013, 09:47:20 pm »
http://dailycaller.com/2013/11/04/book-huntsman-campaign-peddled-herman-cain-rumors-to-press/#ixzz2jhqPjV7A

Book: Huntsman campaign peddled Herman Cain rumors to press

Posted By Alex Pappas On 12:04 PM 11/04/2013

It was former Utah Gov. Jon Huntsman’s struggling presidential campaign that fed the rumors to the press that Republican presidential candidate Herman Cain had been accused of harassment by multiple women during his business career — a story that ultimately led to Cain’s departure from the contest — a new book reveals.

Cain, the former CEO of Godfather’s Pizza, vehemently denied the claims at the time and shamed Politico, the outlet which eventually wrote about the anonymous accusations, for reporting the story.

But a big mystery since then: who fed Politico the story? Authors John Heilemann and Mark Halperin write in “Double Down: Game Change 2012″ that a campaign that no one really expected was behind the oppo on Cain.

“After getting a tip from a donor, Huntsman’s researchers had dug into Cain’s past, discovered the first two sexual harassment claims, and fed the story to Politico,” the book recounts, according to an excerpt in U.S. News and World Report. “As they waited for Politico to turn their tip into a story, members of Huntsman’s circle asked each other when the ‘high heel’ was going to drop on Cain.”

An aide to Cain told The Daily Caller on Monday that the businessman and radio host has yet to read Heilemann and Halperin’s account, which hits bookshelves Tuesday.

The revelation that Huntsman’s campaign was behind the rumors is ironic, considering how the former U.S. Ambassador to China lamented during the episode that the Cain allegations were keeping Republicans from talking about real issues during the campaign.

“Every time another accusation comes up, it diminishes our ability to stay focused on the issues that really do matter for the American people,” Huntsman said in November 2011. “And I think that’s a disservice to the voters.”

Jonathan Martin, the chief Politico reporter on the Cain story who would know the source, did not reference the revelation in his review last week when he broke several juicy nuggets inside the new book for the New York Times.

Follow Alex on Twitter
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline Rapunzel

Re: Book: Huntsman campaign peddled Herman Cain rumors to press
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2013, 09:48:38 pm »
Not a surprise to me.  He is now a member of "no labels" and I have heard some really sleezy stuff about him from some friends in Utah - one who worked under him when he was governor.. there is no love lost for him in the state...  his hits on Romney went back to the Olympics. (Huntsman wanted the job that went to Romney saving the Olympics)
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 09:52:22 pm by Rapunzel »
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2013, 10:01:24 pm »
You notice all of those women suddenly disappeared. They were either discredited early or as soon as Cain dropped out, they went off the radar. Huntsman and Allred basically had a political hit on Cain.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2013, 10:02:10 pm »
You notice all of those women suddenly disappeared. They were either discredited early or as soon as Cain dropped out, they went off the radar. Huntsman and Allred basically had a political hit on Cain.

Yep..

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2013, 10:13:10 pm »
Just remember who Huntsman worked for before his little campaign stunt.

"Huntsman only pawn in game of Obama politics."
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2013, 10:16:56 pm »
Didn't care that Huntsman is in reality an Obama plant...nevertheless, he did the country a great service knocking Cain out of the race.

Good riddance.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2013, 10:19:03 pm »
Herman Cain owes Rick Perry an apology as he blamed this on Perry... I still remember how he doubled-down on the blame in one of the debates and brought up that damned rock as proof........ now does the book say who floated that damn rock story which did harm to Perry?

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2013, 10:34:07 pm »
Herman Cain owes Rick Perry an apology as he blamed this on Perry... I still remember how he doubled-down on the blame in one of the debates and brought up that damned rock as proof........ now does the book say who floated that damn rock story which did harm to Perry?

I remember that.  Herman Cain did not conduct himself very well with Rick Perry and he does owe him an apology. 
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2013, 10:38:35 pm »

That did frustrate me to no end, and I supported both Cain and Perry

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2013, 11:34:07 pm »
I remember that.  Herman Cain did not conduct himself very well with Rick Perry and he does owe him an apology.
Well, Perry, despite clearly not being ready for the campaign and having told everyone for months that he wasn't running, jumped in anyway-- far too late-- and sucked all the momentum out of Cain's campaign. Of all the candidacies who would benefit directly from such salacious allegations, Perry looked like a prime suspect.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2013, 12:30:47 am »
Not a surprise to me.  He is now a member of "no labels" and I have heard some really sleezy stuff about him from some friends in Utah - one who worked under him when he was governor.. there is no love lost for him in the state...  his hits on Romney went back to the Olympics. (Huntsman wanted the job that went to Romney saving the Olympics)

Now I know why I hate Huntsman....
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/