Author Topic: Jason Chaffetz hits naming of Benghazi agent  (Read 857 times)

Offline Rapunzel

Jason Chaffetz hits naming of Benghazi agent
« on: November 04, 2013, 09:40:38 pm »
http://www.politico.com/story/2013/11/jason-chaffetz-benghazi-report-99310.html?hp=f2

Jason Chaffetz hits naming of Benghazi agent

By LUCY MCCALMONT | 11/4/13 9:55 AM EST

Rep. Jason Chaffetz slammed the source behind a report that revealed the real name of a British security agent in Benghazi, which was published in The Washington Post.

“I don’t know who did it, but to release a covert agent’s name to endanger his life should be an absolute outrage in this town,” Chaffetz said Monday on Fox New’s “Fox and Friends” when asked if he thought the White House was behind the leak.

Chaffetz slammed the administration for the lack of transparency on what happened during the attack in Benghazi.

“If they want to get to the truth, go ahead and release the documents for the interview that he had the day after the attack and the interview that he had at his home a few days after that. If you want to be open and transparent, release those documents, and I think you’ll find a different story,” Chaffetz (R-Utah) said.

The agent gained headlines after appearing in an interview under the pseudonuym Morgan Jones with CBS’s “60 Minutes” that aired Oct. 27. Jones detailed his own account of what happened during the consulate attack. Jones, whose account is also detailed in a recently published book under the same name, criticized the State Department for not allowing guards to carry guns and that he went to the mission to help Americans under attack, scaling 12-foot walls.

“One guy saw me..he started walking towards me…as he got close I just hit him with the butt of a rifle in the face,” Jones told “60 Minutes” saying no one heard it or saw him do it.

The Washington Post story published Oct. 31, cites an incident report written by Jones obtained by the paper that reports that his real name is Dylan Davies. The Post said his name was also confirmed by “several officials who worked with him in Benghazi.” The report contradicts the account Davies provided in both his interview with “60 Minutes” and his book, saying Davies did not enter the compound.

“We could not get anywhere near … as roadblocks had been set up,” Davies’ report said, as quoted by the paper.

But Chaffetz dismissed the story as another tactic to disparage Davies.

“We should find out who did it because this is one of the tactics that you see. They’re going to go out and disparage somebody, attack him personally, and put his life in danger,” Chaffetz said. “It’s just absolutely outrageous.”
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Oceander

Re: Jason Chaffetz hits naming of Benghazi agent
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2013, 12:50:56 am »
Releasing a covert agent's name is not kosher.

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
Re: Jason Chaffetz hits naming of Benghazi agent
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2013, 12:53:19 am »
Won't hear a peep out of the Democrats on this one unlike when they spent 2 years trying to get Bush over a CIA analyst being "outed."
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton