Author Topic: Oklahoma Doctor Refuses To Accept Obamacare  (Read 1967 times)

Offline happyg

Oklahoma Doctor Refuses To Accept Obamacare
« on: November 04, 2013, 05:51:59 pm »

By Justin Dougherty

OKLAHOMA CITY -- Surgery Center of Oklahoma Medical Director, Dr. Keith Smith believes the Affordable Care Act is designed to fail. And he says his decision to go independent is his best choice yet.

"More and more companies are running away from Obamacare to this oasis called self-funding," said Dr. Keith Smith of Surgery Center of Oklahoma.

Smith won't cover it up.

"We don't believe the government has any role in health care," said Smith.

His practice, Surgery Center of Oklahoma, will not accept any health care under the Affordable Care Act.

"I'm sure that these exchange plans will not equal the amount of our cost of operation," said Smith.

Instead, Smith has taken his work out of network.

"We've tried just about every insurance, but we hope that within the next 12 to 18 months none of our business will be dependent on them," Smith said.

Now the Surgery Center of Oklahoma is on a different network, the online network.

"We have our prices online for everyone to see," said Smith.

Smith said their decision to be independent and put prices online has brought in patients not just out of state, but out of the country to pay out of pocket.

"Many of the prices we have online are within people's deductible expense," said Smith.

And if Smith's plan doesn't work, he won't hesitate to stop his work.

"If the practice of medicine is no longer mutual, then we will close. We'll just walk away," Smith said.

Now Smith did say that the Surgery Center will file with a patient's insurance company out of courtesy. But again he does hope the practice is fully independent within 12 to 18 months.
http://www.news9.com/story/23856653/oklahoma-doctor-refuses-to-accept-obamacare

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Re: Oklahoma Doctor Refuses To Accept Obamacare
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2013, 05:54:17 pm »
We've had a clinic like this here for a couple of years now and he seems to be doing just fine!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline LambChop

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2013, 06:41:36 pm »
They're not taking any patients who have insurance?  Cash only?   I don't see how they can tell who got BC/BS privately, through work, or through a government exchange.  So how are they going to tell?  This seems a bit silly to me, and potentially illegal depending on how they handle it.

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2013, 06:53:42 pm »
They're not taking any patients who have insurance?  Cash only?   I don't see how they can tell who got BC/BS privately, through work, or through a government exchange.  So how are they going to tell?  This seems a bit silly to me, and potentially illegal depending on how they handle it.

The is a great deal of this going on in the form of "concierge" medicine, whereby a patient and a primary care physician contract mutually for services, by means of the patient paying an annual fee or retainer to the doctor or clinic. Such physicians do not accept any government services (Medicare/Medicaid), and the vast majority also eschew private insurance plans.  I believe this is and ought to be entirely legal, but our government being what it is today, someone undoubtedly will be made into an example at some point. Like the Mob, the Federal government hates competition.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2013, 06:55:09 pm »
...and potentially illegal depending on how they handle it.

Good Gawd, is there anything that isn't 'illegal' these days?

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2013, 06:55:30 pm »
HLS has been notified, ATF and SWAT goons are enroute.

Obama will not tolerate any disobedience to his rule.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline olde north church

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2013, 07:33:56 pm »

Non-par provider.  Just as if the doctor didn't accept a particular plan.  You pay the doc and the insurance pays you.  Except you won't get reimbursement.
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2013, 07:34:30 pm »
If the Democrats win back the House and put Pelosi back in charge, this gentleman will have a new name: Federal Inmate.  Right now he is just a thought criminal but after the election his words will be declared treasonous and it will be off to gulag with him.  I hope he carefully conceals a spoon on his person so he can at least dig for his own potatoes....

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2013, 08:21:04 pm »
Indeed.    :shrug:
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2013, 08:24:25 pm »
I don't see him having an issue doing this for any patients - except medicare or medicaid... there is where it gets sticky - even if he is a non participating provider he is still limited what he can charge the patient and he is required - yes REQUIRED to bill Medicare and Medicaid for the service.  The kicker is he has to collect the money for the service directly from the patient as any non-participating provider is not sent payment from medicare - payment is sent to the patient and good luck collecting that payment for service rendered once many of the old people on fixed incomes receive a check in the mail made out to them for their medical service.. this is one of the main reasons so many providers are participating providers...  you can go broke really fast treating Medicare patients if you are not participating.  BTW the blues are the same way, if you are not participating provider in their network they send payment to the patient instead of the doctor.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2013, 08:27:56 pm »

"We're after power and we mean it. You fellows were pikers, but we know the real trick, and you'd better get wise to it. There's no way to rule innocent men. The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them...you create a nation of lawbreakers – and then you cash in on guilt. Now that's the system, Mr. Rearden."

- Dr. Floyd Ferris, Atlas Shrugged; by Ayn Rand
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline Cincinnatus

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2013, 08:43:55 pm »
As Rapunzel notes, doctors and medical facilities are required to bill medicare/medicaid. I am only wondering how soon they will be required to participate in ObamaCare. That will put an end to the mavericks like this Dr Smith and force him and others like him back into the hive.
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2013, 08:55:37 pm »
As Rapunzel notes, doctors and medical facilities are required to bill medicare/medicaid. I am only wondering how soon they will be required to participate in ObamaCare. That will put an end to the mavericks like this Dr Smith and force him and others like him back into the hive.

Remember that was one of the components of Hillarycare
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline LambChop

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2013, 09:26:01 pm »
The is a great deal of this going on in the form of "concierge" medicine, whereby a patient and a primary care physician contract mutually for services, by means of the patient paying an annual fee or retainer to the doctor or clinic. Such physicians do not accept any government services (Medicare/Medicaid), and the vast majority also eschew private insurance plans.  I believe this is and ought to be entirely legal, but our government being what it is today, someone undoubtedly will be made into an example at some point. Like the Mob, the Federal government hates competition.

A DR refusing Medicare/Medicaid isn't a problem.  They can and do what they want in this area.  My question is, if the DR accepts BC/BS from one patient, but doesn't accept from another, that can be a problem.  Same insurance carrier, same product.  How is the DR to know which patient enrolled in "Obamacare" and which is provided coverage from his/her employer.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2013, 09:30:33 pm »
A DR refusing Medicare/Medicaid isn't a problem.  They can and do what they want in this area.  My question is, if the DR accepts BC/BS from one patient, but doesn't accept from another, that can be a problem.  Same insurance carrier, same product.  How is the DR to know which patient enrolled in "Obamacare" and which is provided coverage from his/her employer.

The Dr. here doesn't take insurance of any kind at all. Strictly a cash for service operation and he has done quite well at it thus far.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien