Author Topic: When did white trash become normal?  (Read 1881 times)

Offline Olivia

When did white trash become normal?
« on: November 04, 2013, 12:39:26 pm »

Society crumbles when it takes cues from the underclass

When Snooki, whose talents include getting sloppy drunk and throwing up on camera, made Barbara Walters’ “Ten Most Fascinating People” list a few years back, one could only ask: Was Octomom not available?

Last year, “Here Comes Honey Boo Boo,” which features a cornucopia of social ills, was TLC’s highest-rated show, attracting more cable viewers than the Republican National Convention, which had the misfortune to share the time slot with the charmers from Georgia. The show’s matriarch, June Shannon, has four daughters by four men, one of whose names she can’t recall.

White Trash is the new normal — and you don’t have to tune in to reality TV to rub elbows with pathologies that once stayed put in Skunk Hollow. White Trash Normal has invaded every nook and cranny of life, from table manners, to dress, to money management.
------
White Trash signifiers have changed of course — the foreclosed McMansion with the mosquito-infested swimming pool has replaced the rusting tractor permanently bivouacked on cement blocks in the front yard. But it’s the same general idea.

Obesity, the product of a lack of discipline, sloppy dressing, loud and intimate cellphone chats broadcast to a captive audience and foul language nonchalantly uttered in the ATM line are all forms of this “self-expression.”
------
Bring back manners, bring back aspiration, bring back responsibility, heck, bring back the man in the gray flannel suit. We miss you.

http://nypost.com/2013/11/02/when-did-white-trash-become-normal/

Personally, I think out present television is appalling and geared to this kind of society.
Truthfully, the most important thing in life is knowing what the most important things in life are, and prioritizing them accordingly.   Melchor Lim

Offline mountaineer

Re: When did white trash become normal?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2013, 12:50:23 pm »
Once the network execs realized boorish behavior -  especially on so-called reality shows - attracted attention, they started working overtime to come up with new and more disgusting venues for such trashiness.  Is there anyone left in this country who isn't on a reality show? Don't you wonder where they find these morons?
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2013, 01:08:29 pm »
I did an interview with Laura Bruce once.

Very nice lady, totally genuine and what you saw on the camera was pretty much how she is. For that one small interview we chatted for maybe 8 or 9 hours over the course of 3 days.

Not all "reality" TV is fake. Sure, a lot of the time it is confrontational trash, or selectively edited, but it isn't all bad.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

rangerrebew

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2013, 06:01:28 pm »
"White trash" became acceptable the day the Clintons moved in to the White House. 034  It was like a daily reality show with its episodes of infidelity,  cruise missiles  launched whenever Bile Clinton couldn't keep his Johnson in his pants, the investigations of the two for corruption, lying to the American people, etc.  They were everything a low life, scum bag Hollyweird producer could ask for. :odrama:

Offline Olivia

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2013, 06:44:35 pm »
Once the network execs realized boorish behavior -  especially on so-called reality shows - attracted attention, they started working overtime to come up with new and more disgusting venues for such trashiness.  Is there anyone left in this country who isn't on a reality show? Don't you wonder where they find these morons?

Some of these shows are almost embarrassing!  I guess they have to cater to the lo-fo crowd, which seems to be over half the country!  I can't imagine watching Bridezilla's.  Such stupidity!
Truthfully, the most important thing in life is knowing what the most important things in life are, and prioritizing them accordingly.   Melchor Lim

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2013, 07:27:06 pm »
Style at least, been going downhill for a while now. And it seems to be getting  progressively more, ummm... gay:

1940s

1950s

1960s

1970s

1980s

1990s

2000s

Today

Tomorrow???
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2013, 07:30:47 pm »
It ain't just white trash...ever heard of Ratchet...??

http://nowaygirl.com/

You cannot make this stuff up.

Offline Relic

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2013, 07:58:22 pm »

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2013, 08:15:58 pm »
When I first heard about "Honey Boo Boo", I thought it was a put-on. Seriously.

Maybe the Bible has something to say about this....

"And I went unto the angel, and said unto him, Give me the little book. And he said unto me, Take it, and eat it up; and it shall make thy belly bitter, but it shall be in thy mouth sweet as honey. And I took the little book out of the angel's hand, and ate it up; and it was in my mouth sweet as honey: and as soon as I had eaten it, my belly was bitter." Rev. 10:10-11

I have no idea what that means. But I think we're in trouble.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2013, 08:30:14 pm »
Good post, Andy. You may be onto something.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org