Author Topic: Some Americans will gain health care coverage under the Affordable Care Act, while others will lose their current plans and still more don't know yet.  (Read 462 times)

Offline Rapunzel

Under Obama's law, insurers will not be able to turn away people with medical problems or charge them more.

and people are wondering why the costs for healthy people is skyrocketing. They don't realize they are footing the cost of people who were in high risk polls before OCare.

Offline happyg

Under Obama's law, insurers will not be able to turn away people with medical problems or charge them more.

and people are wondering why the costs for healthy people is skyrocketing. They don't realize they are footing the cost of people who were in high risk polls before OCare.

Not to mention men paying for maternity and birth control, or those who have dentures paying for dental, and on and on. It's bullshi*t! This isn't insurance, but an entitlement for some, and a hardship for others. People have life insurance, hoping they don't die and car insurance, hoping they don't need it. Obamacare is for every ache and pain a person can conjure up. Folks would be better off just getting catastrophic care, and paying their way as they go. It would be a lot cheaper in the long run.

Offline Oceander

• Technical
  • Chief Dork
The devil is in the details.  The fact of the matter is that you may have "coverage" in the theoretical sense because you have a policy, but you may not have "coverage" in the practical sense - that is to say, in reality - if that policy has a deductible so high that you cannot pay for the expenses you must bear before that alleged coverage kicks in.

Many, many people are going to find themselves in that situation - as I and my family have now found ourselves - and so their Obama-mandated health insurance policies will be nothing more than political farce.  As for me, to-date the policy we paid full freight for (i.e., no "subsidies" or employer-paid premiums) covered all routine doctor's visits with no deductible and a standard copay of $50.  On that basis I could afford to pay for the monthly visit I must make to my doctor to monitor certain medications I have to take; the annual cost for those visits under the policy I am about to have taken from me was $600.  Because of - solely because of - Obamacare, the insurance company cannot legally offer me that policy anymore and must instead offer me the choice of one of two options: (1) pay $800 a month more for the same coverage, or (2) pay the same premium but for a policy with a $5,000 deductible.  With the times being what they are, I cannot afford to pay another $800 a month, so that means that I really only have one alternative if I want to have any sort of insurance coverage at all:  I have to take the policy with the $5,000 deductible.

Hey, great, the democrats say, you've got health insurance - you're covered - so what are you bitching about?  Well, the fact of the matter is that my coverage is purely academic and means nothing to me because of that deductible.  The doctor I see charges $300 per visit, all of which I will now have to pay for out of pocket if I want to see my doctor under the only insurance policy the democrats will let me have now.  That works out to $300 a month, which I also cannot afford right now - not to mention that my daughter has to see her pediatrician on a regular basis - which visits we will now have to pay for out of pocket - and my wife needs to see her doctor on a regular basis - at least twice a year (she's healthier than I am).

Basically, it boils down to this: in order to get any sort of insurance coverage at all under Obastardcare I must pay - under any policy the government will allow me to have - at least another $416.67 a month before that insurance coverage starts to do me any good at all.  I can't pay that right now, which means that for all practical purposes I can't afford any routine medical care any more - the money that we used to spend on our copays for doctor's visits - $600 a year in my case - will now have to be reserved to make sure we can pay for my daughter's visits to her pediatrician.  I will simply have to get by without seeing my doctor any more frequently than about once a year; that, of course, also means that I may have to go without the medications I need as well since I have to visit the doctor, and pay full freight for that visit, in order to get a prescription for those medications, one of which cannot be refilled without a new prescription.

So, the "promise" of health insurance coverage under Obastardcare is as illusory as Obama's supposed intelligence:  I will have health insurance under Obastardcare, I just won't have any medical care.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf