Author Topic: Romney leaves Cruz off his list of 2016 GOP stars  (Read 1950 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Romney leaves Cruz off his list of 2016 GOP stars
« on: November 03, 2013, 04:41:09 pm »
http://www.breitbart.com/system/wire/DA9R7LHO2

Romney leaves Cruz off his list of 2016 GOP stars
AP 11/3/2013 4:33:14 PM
(AP) Romney leaves Cruz off his list of 2016 GOP stars
WASHINGTON
Mitt Romney isn't including tea party favorite Ted Cruz among the Republicans' most electable potential presidential candidates in 2016.

Who does the 2012 GOP nominee put on his list of "very capable people?"

His ex-running mate, Wisconsin Rep. Paul Ryan. Florida Sen. Marco Rubio. Former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush.

But Romney says New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie "stands out as one of the very strongest lights."

Romney was asked on NBC's "Meet the Press" whether Texas Sen. Cruz is a "potential light."

Romney said he's not going to disqualify anybody. But he made clear that he had given the names of those he thought were "the most effective in becoming elected."

Cruz led the GOP effort to shut down the government in an effort to dismantle Obama's health care law.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Re: Romney leaves Cruz off his list of 2016 GOP stars
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2013, 04:41:34 pm »
But Romney says New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie "stands out as one of the very strongest lights."

This says it all!
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2013, 04:53:01 pm »

yah....the flashing red kind.....

Offline Olivia

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2013, 06:10:58 pm »
I don't know about this.  Drudge has a headline featuring the book called "Double Down" by
Mark Halperin & John Heilemann.  It's a book about selecting a vice-president during Romney's run for president.
According to the book, Romney and crew decided that Chris Christie would not past the test, due to Christie being involved in some unsavory situations during his career.

Furthermore, I can't see a liberal republican like Romney giving any good marks to a conservative like Cruz. 
Truthfully, the most important thing in life is knowing what the most important things in life are, and prioritizing them accordingly.   Melchor Lim

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2013, 06:19:28 pm »
Yeah, I always listen to what losers like Romney or McCain say about who should be the next candidate.

This is sarcasm for those who are unable to grasp such a concept.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2013, 06:19:44 pm by Atomic Cow »
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2013, 06:26:42 pm »
Nothing at all surprising about what Romney says or believes.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline MBB1984

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2013, 06:59:07 pm »
This says it all!

Romney must have enjoyed all the backstabbing by the "Pufferfish."  It is time Romney go home and stay there.

Offline Olivia

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2013, 07:13:13 pm »
Romney must have enjoyed all the backstabbing by the "Pufferfish."  It is time Romney go home and stay there.

Yeah, and take McCain, Jeb Bush and Chris Christie with him.
Truthfully, the most important thing in life is knowing what the most important things in life are, and prioritizing them accordingly.   Melchor Lim

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2013, 07:35:54 pm »
Yeah, and take McCain, Jeb Bush and Chris Christie with him.

:amen:
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2013, 08:56:57 pm »
Although I'm rooting for Rand Paul, Christie is the mostly likely to win the nomination.

Offline raml

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2013, 09:36:46 pm »
Romney and his other loser friends needs to stay in the cave he has been in since the election. I want Rand Paul too and a conservative of some sort Ted Cruz included will be the only candidate I will vote for and will do a write in if any of the republican oldie but goodies put a liberal candidate in.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2013, 10:29:02 pm »
Brietbart's version

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2013/11/03/Romney-Christie-save-country

Romney: Christie Could 'Save Our Party'

by Breitbart News 3 Nov 2013, 10:12 AM PDT post a comment
Appearing on NBC’s Meet the Press, 2012 Republican presidential Mitt Romney defended New Jersey governor Chris Christie, whom it was reported last week was vetted and turned down by the Romney campaign for vice president. “Chris could easily become our nominee and save our party and help get this nation on the right track again,” Romney said of Christie. “They don’t come better than Chris Christie.”

Romney said that his concerns about Christie in 2012 no longer applied: “I know in a campaign people drudge up all the old stuff again, but he’s already dealt with it. His health is very solid, very good. There’s not an issue there….He’s a very popular governor in a very blue state. That’s the kind of popularity and the kind of track record the Republican party needs if we’re going to take back the White House.”

Romney didn’t endorse Christie outright, instead saying, “It's kind of early to say who is the most electable and who would be the favorite candidate. But you look at Chris Christie and say that's a very impressive guy with a great track record, with a demonstrated ability to work across the aisle….It's a pretty compelling story. And there's some other very compelling stories: Paul Ryan, Jeb Bush, Marco Rubio. I mean, there is a long list of very capable people, but Chris Christie stands out as one of the very strongest lights of the Republican Party.”

Romney also fought back against the idea that the most conservative candidate should win the Republican nomination. “I just happen to think you want to combine conservatism with the ability to get elected,” he said.

Support the USO

Offline olde north church

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2013, 10:37:38 pm »
Brietbart's version

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2013/11/03/Romney-Christie-save-country

Romney: Christie Could 'Save Our Party'

by Breitbart News 3 Nov 2013, 10:12 AM PDT post a comment
Appearing on NBC’s Meet the Press, 2012 Republican presidential Mitt Romney defended New Jersey governor Chris Christie, whom it was reported last week was vetted and turned down by the Romney campaign for vice president. “Chris could easily become our nominee and save our party and help get this nation on the right track again,” Romney said of Christie. “They don’t come better than Chris Christie.”

Romney said that his concerns about Christie in 2012 no longer applied: “I know in a campaign people drudge up all the old stuff again, but he’s already dealt with it. His health is very solid, very good. There’s not an issue there….He’s a very popular governor in a very blue state. That’s the kind of popularity and the kind of track record the Republican party needs if we’re going to take back the White House.”

Romney didn’t endorse Christie outright, instead saying, “It's kind of early to say who is the most electable and who would be the favorite candidate. But you look at Chris Christie and say that's a very impressive guy with a great track record, with a demonstrated ability to work across the aisle….It's a pretty compelling story. And there's some other very compelling stories: Paul Ryan, Jeb Bush, Marco Rubio. I mean, there is a long list of very capable people, but Chris Christie stands out as one of the very strongest lights of the Republican Party.”

Romney also fought back against the idea that the most conservative candidate should win the Republican nomination. “I just happen to think you want to combine conservatism with the ability to get elected,” he said.

He's  not the only guy saying that, it must be the talking point, even down to state NJ people.
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2013, 10:37:47 pm »
So what issues from 2012 have suddenly evaporated? Christie is still morbidly obese. Christie is still a blowhard.  Christie is still a progressive Republican.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline olde north church

« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2013, 10:55:25 pm »
So what issues from 2012 have suddenly evaporated? Christie is still morbidly obese. Christie is still a blowhard.  Christie is still a progressive Republican.

He's not morbidly obese any more.  Watch on Tuesday, win or lose, he's lost a lot of weight.
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2013, 11:14:15 pm »
We've already tried moderates and lost in 2008 and 2012. Why do I doubt that Romney believes any conservative, "electable" or not, is what the GOP should nominate in 2016?
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2013, 01:56:47 am »
We've already tried moderates and lost in 2008 and 2012. Why do I doubt that Romney believes any conservative, "electable" or not, is what the GOP should nominate in 2016?
All you gotta do is convince Republican primary voters to pick a conservative.  The 2008 campaign by conservative forces went something like this...
Anybody But McCain.
The 2012 conservative campaign was Anybody But Romney.
I don't expect that conservatives have really learned any lessons from 2008 and 2012.
In 2016 the strategy will be Anybody But Christie and conservatives will hop from candidate to candidate as the media directs them.  The media will attack who ever is the perceived frontrunner.  Christie's campaign will keep its powder dry until the media has savaged all but the last front runner.

That's not how I want it to be, but that is what I expect.

Offline MBB1984

« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2013, 08:28:00 pm »

You can add plenty of scandals and skeletons in his closet.  That is why Puffer didn't get the VP nod.