Author Topic: Rand Paul on plagiarism charges: If dueling were legal in Kentucky...  (Read 1045 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://www.politico.com/blogs/politico-live/?hp=ar

By TAL KOPAN |
11/3/13 10:39 AM EST

Sen. Rand Paul said Sunday that accusations of plagiarism in his speeches makes him wish dueling were legal in Kentucky.

“I take it as an insult, and I will not lie down and say people can call me dishonest, misleading or misrepresenting -- I have never intentionally done so and like I say, 'If dueling were legal in Kentucky, if they keep it up, you know it’d be a duel challenge,' " Paul said on ABC's "This Week."

Media outlets including POLITICO, MSNBC and Buzzfeed have detailed instances in the Kentucky Republican's speeches where entire lines seemed to mimic verbatim other sources, including Wikipedia pages and stories from The Associated Press.

Asked about the charges on Sunday, Paul acknowledged the "footnote police" had been out in full force.

“I didn’t get into the secondary sources and say I quoted Einstein as according to an AP story or as according to Wikipedia," Paul said. "I think the spoken word shouldn’t be held to the same sort of standard that you have if you’re giving a scientific paper. I’ve written scientific papers, I know how to footnote things, but we’ve never footnoted speeches, and if that’s the standard I’m going to be held to, yes, we will change and we will footnote things.”

Paul said "98 percent" of his speeches are extemporaneous and it's difficult to attribute sources the way you would in an academic paper, but he'll adjust if that's what's necessary according to the "hacks and haters."

“Is that nitpicking? Is referring to the person enough, or do I have to refer to the original source where I got the quote from the person?” Paul said. “If it’s required, I’ll do it, but I think I’m being unfairly targeted by a bunch of hacks and haters, and I’m just not going to put up with people casting aspersions on my character.”
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline happyg

Re: Rand Paul on plagiarism charges: If dueling were legal in Kentucky...
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2013, 04:01:12 pm »
Paul's statements are akin to The Lord's Prayer. Do we cite the Bible verse in detail each time it is said. Some statements are so common, that most of us are instantly aware of where they come from.

Rachel Maddow was caught in more than few actual plagiarisms, and the media fell silent.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2013, 04:52:53 pm »
I quote from Martin Luther King's "I have a dream" speech all the time. Parts of his speech are so well-known that when I do take a quote people know I'm borrowing from Martin Luther King. Must I recall the source where I first read the line?

It's obvious what the left is doing here.

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2013, 05:02:18 pm »
I quote from Martin Luther King's "I have a dream" speech all the time. Parts of his speech are so well-known that when I do take a quote people know I'm borrowing from Martin Luther King. Must I recall the source where I first read the line?

It's obvious what the left is doing here.

Aha!  Caught you.  Look at number 5 at this link:

https://www.facebook.com/notes/jeremy-bennett/when-will-this-administration-get-it-one-crazed-issue-after-another-by-the-numbe/155831957796291

Obviously, you plagiarized the term "it's obvious what the left is doing..." from Jeremy Bennett's Facebook page.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2013, 05:38:41 pm »
Rats! Caught again. I'm so embarrassed. I should've known someone would recognize Jeremy Bennett's phraseology and his unique understanding of the liberal mind.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2013, 05:53:28 pm »
The quote in question? A movie summary from Wikipedia. Ooh, yeah. That's a real scandal, there.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024