Author Topic: Insurance Policies Not Worth Keeping By THE EDITORIAL BOARD NYT  (Read 2469 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Insurance Policies Not Worth Keeping By THE EDITORIAL BOARD NYT
« on: November 03, 2013, 12:49:45 am »
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/03/opinion/sunday/insurance-policies-not-worth-keeping.html?ref=opinion&pagewanted=print

November 2, 2013
Insurance Policies Not Worth Keeping
By THE EDITORIAL BOARD

Congressional Republicans have stoked consumer fears and confusion with charges that the health care reform law is causing insurers to cancel existing policies and will force many people to pay substantially higher premiums next year for coverage they don’t want. That, they say, violates President Obama’s pledge that if you like the insurance you have, you can keep it.

Mr. Obama clearly misspoke when he said that. By law, insurers cannot continue to sell policies that don’t provide the minimum benefits and consumer protections required as of next year. So they’ve sent cancellation notices to hundreds of thousands of people who hold these substandard policies. (At issue here are not the 149 million people covered by employer plans, but the 10 million to 12 million people who buy policies directly on the individual market.)

But insurers are not allowed to abandon enrollees. They must offer consumers options that do comply with the law, and they are scrambling to retain as many of their customers as possible with new policies that are almost certain to be more comprehensive than their old ones.

Indeed, in all the furor, people forget how terrible many of the soon-to-be-abandoned policies were. Some had deductibles as high as $10,000 or $25,000 and required large co-pays after that, and some didn’t cover hospital care.

This overblown controversy has also obscured the crux of what health care reform is trying to do, which is to guarantee that everyone can buy insurance without being turned away or charged exorbitant rates for pre-existing conditions and that everyone can receive benefits that really protect them against financial or medical disaster, not illusory benefits that prove inadequate when a crisis strikes.

Starting next year, all plans sold in this country will be required to provide 10 essential benefits, including some, like mental health and substance abuse treatment and maternity and newborn care, that are not now part of many policies. And premiums may well rise, in part because insurance companies must accept all applicants, not just the healthy.

Premiums are apt to come down for older patients and sicker patients with chronic illnesses. Premiums will likely go up for younger, healthier patients. Even so, analysts at the Kaiser Family Foundation believe that most people will actually pay less next year, because those with modest incomes will qualify for federal subsidies and many poor, uninsured people will be eligible for Medicaid.

Many higher-income people who won’t qualify for subsidies, however, will have to buy policies providing more benefits than they want. Maternity care for those who will not have children is one sore point. But that is one price of moving toward universal coverage with comprehensive benefits. And some of these higher-income people could suffer a catastrophic accident or illness that would previously have bankrupted them, but will now be paid for by insurance.

People under 30, who might balk at higher premiums, have another option. They can buy a catastrophic plan that provides all the essential benefits but keeps premiums low by making the beneficiaries bear a greater share of the cost. The hitch is that people who buy such plans are not eligible for federal subsidies, so many would probably be better off buying the cheapest plan available on the exchanges. Federal analysts estimated last week that, after subsidies, two-thirds of the uninsured young adults in 34 exchanges around the country could get coverage for less than $100 a month, and almost half could get it for less than $50 a month. That sounds like a bargain for comprehensive coverage.

Some conservative groups, eager to cripple the individual market by deterring enrollment, are urging consumers not to take out insurance and to instead pay the fine, which is cheaper than the cost of insurance but hardly negligible. For individuals, it starts at $95 or 1 percent of applicable yearly income in 2014, whichever is higher, and rises to $695 or 2.5 percent of applicable income in 2016. But why pay the penalty and get nothing when you can pay a reasonable fee and get a good policy?
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Oceander

Re: Insurance Policies Not Worth Keeping By THE EDITORIAL BOARD NYT
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2013, 05:01:14 am »
/snicker

Yeah, and you can have that rainbow-colored unicorn too.  Here's the reality, you f-ucking liberal:  because Obastardcare forced my insurance carrier to cancel my sole-proprietor's policy I now have two "choices" on offer to replace that policy:  (1) get the same coverage, but pay $800 a month more, or (2) pay the same monthly premium, but get a policy with a $5,000 deductible.  Now, what's the practical effect of that?  I can no longer afford normal health care - Obama and the democrats have taken my health care away.  Certainly I still have prescription coverage - even though I can no longer afford to pay to see a doctor who can write a prescription - and I still have what amounts to major medical and hospitalization coverage, but I no longer have coverage for my routine visits to the doctor - or for my family's visits - and therefore the only person who will be seeing a doctor on a regular basis now will be my daughter; my wife and I will simply go without - even though we're still paying the exact same premium that covered those visits prior to the imposition of Obastardcare.

Only a f-ucking liberal would think of taking away someone's health care by forcing them to have to take a prohibitively expensive insurance policy as "reform."

God damn but I hate f-ucking liberals.

Offline Cincinnatus

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2013, 05:35:11 am »
The mental contortions Liberals have to go through, and do so willingly, to explain and justify these 18 words:
If you like your health care plan, you will be able to keep your health care plan. Period.

It would even be amusing if it weren't so pathetic.
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2013, 05:54:59 am »
What a load this article is... the NySlime is working overtime to try and dig O out of his "if you like you plan you can keep it, if you like you doctor you can keep him."
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2013, 05:59:36 am »
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline Cincinnatus

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2013, 06:10:39 am »

"And then he told 'em: 'If you like your plan, you can keep it!'"
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Offline aligncare

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2013, 08:47:39 am »
The editorial board of the New York Times is, well, substandard. Sorry, I misspoke. The editorial board of the New York Times thinks the government should tell us how much of our family budget should go to health care. Sorry, I misspoke. The editorial board of the New York Times thinks we're incapable of figuring our own family budget. Sorry, I misspoke. The editorial board of the New York Times favors centralized authoritarian rule. Sorry, I misspoke. The editorial board of the New York Times are fascists. There. I think I got it right, now.

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2013, 11:17:26 am »
Total nonsense. Once again they are spinning the cancellations as "substandard" and even "illegal" coverage. They are 'illegal' because the government made them 'illegal'. They are 'substandard' because single men and 70 year old women are not forced to buy maternity care.

And this is only the beginning. Wait until they make your car 'illegal' which is right around the corner. Before long the government will be telling you that you have to buy a new car that they choose. It will come with GPS and a remote disable switch as new and better 'features'. Your old car will then be 'illegal', according to the government. And then they will move to make your home 'illegal', because you do not have a certain amount of insulation, or the right glass in your windows, or this, or that, or something else. Then your home will become 'illegal'.

Obama now wants to control your family finances. He wants to be able to tell you, by force of law, what you must buy and how you must spend your money. He doesn't need to actually 'take' your money anymore, when he can just direct how you spend it. If he can make you buy what he wants, if he can force you to spend you money on things he thinks is important, then he doesn't need to actually take it because he controls it anyway.

BTW, the "Editorial Board" is code for Obama's White House press office. This stinking piece of crap came directly from the White House. No doubt about it. It reads like the author was masturbating to a picture of Obama while writing this love letter to their God.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2013, 12:17:37 pm »
WHERE ARE AMERICA'S BALLS?

8black day
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2013, 12:35:05 pm »
WHERE ARE AMERICA'S BALLS?

8black day
Locked in a certain former Secretary of State's lock box.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2013, 01:31:03 pm »
The editorial board of the New York Times is, well, substandard. Sorry, I misspoke. The editorial board of the New York Times thinks the government should tell us how much of our family budget should go to health care. Sorry, I misspoke. The editorial board of the New York Times thinks we're incapable of figuring our own family budget. Sorry, I misspoke. The editorial board of the New York Times favors centralized authoritarian rule. Sorry, I misspoke. The editorial board of the New York Times are fascists. There. I think I got it right, now.

:amen:
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2013, 11:07:28 pm »
http://twitchy.com/2013/11/03/boom-dana-loesch-shreds-nyts-obama-misspoke-lie-with-simple-question/

Boom!’  Loesch shreds NYT’s Obama ‘misspoke’ lie with simple question
Posted at 12:19 pm on November 3, 2013 by Twitchy Staff |

Can teleprompters misspeak?
    —
     Loesch (@DLoesch) November 03, 2013

Yep, that’s a win right there. You see, the New York Times upped the hackery Sunday when its editorial board absurdly claimed that President Obama didn’t really lie when he said “you can keep your plan.” Guys, he totally just “misspoke!” Over and over. Period.

As Twitchy reported, the mockery was swift and sure. And “just bloggers” and citizens helped out the “real journalists” over at the paper of hack-tastic record with a brutal compilation video of all of President Liar Pants’ “misspeaking.“

Will the White House now pivot to the teleprompter excuse?

Snicker.

Loesch further slammed Obama and the New York Times as only she can:
“Obama clearly misspoke,” fibs the NYT: nytimes.com/2013/11/03/opi… Wow, he “misspoke” incessantly, all over the country: youtu.be/JCUpJDzyRnY—

“Misspoke” is the new “Lying one’s head off.”—

Bingo! “Lying one’s head off,” indeed. Is it any wonder his poll numbers are plummeting? Sane people (this excludes you, NYT editorial board) do not like big fat liars.

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2013, 11:46:16 pm »
Democrats are testing the depth of stupidity of the American people.

"Obama didn't lie, the teleprompter did."

I'm not sure this is going to work. I'm not sure that saying that Obama is blindly reciting lies dictated to him by a screen is any better than him actually knowing what he is saying and knowing that he is lying. That would be proof that he really is nothing more than a puppet.

You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2013, 04:34:32 am »
[[ Democrats are testing the depth of stupidity of the American people. ]]

There was a time -- say, sixty years ago -- when such a test would have failed miserably.

But today?
All bets are off.

Oceander

« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2013, 04:37:46 am »

Yup, you got it right.

Oceander

« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2013, 04:38:06 am »
[[ Democrats are testing the depth of stupidity of the American people. ]]

There was a time -- say, sixty years ago -- when such a test would have failed miserably.

But today?
All bets are off.

Sadly, I have to agree with you.