Author Topic: Panetta: US may have to use military force against Iran  (Read 2851 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Panetta: US may have to use military force against Iran
« on: November 02, 2013, 11:18:45 pm »
http://www.jpost.com/Iranian-Threat/News/Panetta-US-may-have-to-use-military-force-against-Iran-330373

Panetta: US may have to use military force against Iran
By MAYA SHWAYDER, JERUSALEM POST CORRESPONDENT
11/01/2013 16:53

"We have to remain strong," says former US secretary of defense.

NEW YORK – While the US has “implemented unprecedented sanctions and pressure on Iran, we may very well have to use military force to back up our policy,” Leon Panetta said on Thursday night.

The former US defense secretary and CIA director made the remarks while addressing around 600 people at the Anti-Defamation League’s 100th annual meeting.

Panetta, who was receiving the ADL’s William and Naomi Gorowitz Institute Service Award, said the US needs to “maintain a healthy skepticism” when negotiating to suss out Iran’s true level of commitment to negotiations over its nuclear program.

“It is the Supreme Leader [Ali Khamenei] who is key, and he is not likely to give up [uranium] enrichment,” Panetta warned. “We have to remain strong. We have to remain consistent.”

Panetta reiterated the American line that the US has “no friend, no better ally in the world than Israel,” but he expressed concern over the “growing sense of isolationism in this country [the US]” over the last 10 years of fighting two wars in Afghanistan and Iraq, and the shifting power dynamics among world leaders.

“The fact remains that we live in a very dangerous world,” he said. “We continue to have threats from North Korea as they test nuclear weapons. We have instability and fragility in the Middle East. All of this happens at a time when we are imperiled by gridlock in Washington.”

Panetta was introduced by current Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel, who expressed his admiration for his predecessor, and similarly indicated his support for maintaining a firm hand with Tehran, while at the same exploring diplomatic options.

“We are testing Iranian intentions for diplomatic solutions,” Hagel said.

“When we engage Iran along with our partners, we are clear-eyed about the reality in the Middle East. Iran is a state sponsor of terror... but foreign policy is not a zero-sum game.”

Hagel advocated for exploring more ways to resolve disputes, and tried to soothe audience members concerned that diplomacy would lead nowhere.

“Engagement is not appeasement, nor is it containment,” he said. “We know what those are, we know where they lead, and we will not pursue them. And President Obama has repeatedly made clear that words are not enough. Action must match words.”

Hagel announced that the US would be selling Israel six V-22 Osprey tiltrotor helicopters, and that he recognized the “challenges” on Israel’s borders given the crises in Egypt and Syria. “There are no margins for Israel,” Hagel said.

The other headliner of the first day of the meeting was UN Ambassador to the UN Samantha Power, who received a gift from ADL National Director Abe Foxman – a book with the word “Jew” written in it six million times, as a tribute to her work in the field of genocide, Foxman said.

She address the collaboration between the US and Israeli missions at the UN, and vowed to continue working to expand Israel’s role.

“I have made it a priority... to oppose every example of anti-Israeli bias in the UN system,” Power said. “On my watch, we will push ceaselessly for the further inclusion of Israel in regional groups. We will demand objectivity in resolutions affecting Middle East peace.... There is no basis to exclude Israel from full participation in the United Nations system.”
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online Lando Lincoln

Re: Panetta: US may have to use military force against Iran
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2013, 11:20:47 pm »
Iran gives Obama the perfect "Wag the Dog" opportunity.
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

SPQR

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2013, 11:28:20 pm »
There is military force against Iran there is a risk that the Russians will be dragged in.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2013, 12:00:59 am »
There is military force against Iran there is a risk that the Russians will be dragged in.

Russia wouldn't care. China, on the other hand would be very upset. This is one reason I see any military intervention in Iran done via third parties - possibly Israel, possibly Europe (again, though after Libya that isn't likely). You do not annoy the guy who holds your mortgage.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2013, 12:02:07 am »
Iran gives Obama the perfect "Wag the Dog" opportunity.

Exactly right. He failed to start a major war in Syria because Putin outwitted him. So now, he is looking for another way of doing the same thing. Hit Iran.

Anyone else notice how Obama and his pet 'yappy dog', McCain, are just begging for a war, somewhere, with anyone...

While I would be all in favor of carpet bombing Iran, I just do not trust Obama. I do not believe that he will go into it with American victory in mind. With Obama, everything is political and is always about him. I do not trust him and would not fight for him. Even if what he is doing seems to be right, I would always think there is another more sinister motive that he has in mind. With Obama, I would always be waiting for the other shoe to fall.

I do not trust Obama, and unfortunately, I do not trust McCain anymore either. They are both up to something, and whatever it is, they need a war to make it happen.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2013, 12:03:56 am by 240B »
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

SPQR

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2013, 12:18:03 am »
Russia wouldn't care. China, on the other hand would be very upset. This is one reason I see any military intervention in Iran done via third parties - possibly Israel, possibly Europe (again, though after Libya that isn't likely). You do not annoy the guy who holds your mortgage.

The Russians with Persia (now Iran) have had relations dating back to the Czars. They have always wanted a toe hold in this area and now they have it. The Russians sell billions of dollars worth of military equipment to Iran. The Iranians and Russians want to limit influence of the United States in Central Asia. In 2010 The Iranians and the Russia signed a agreement on the energy sector.Their trade has also increased. Russia was the seventh trading partner with Iran. Putin regularly meets the Iranians.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2013, 12:24:25 am by SPQR »

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2013, 12:24:46 am »
[[ While I would be all in favor of carpet bombing Iran, I just do not trust Obama. I do not believe that he will go into it with American victory in mind. With Obama, everything is political and is always about him. I do not trust him and would not fight for him. Even if what he is doing seems to be right, I would always think there is another more sinister motive that he has in mind. With Obama, I would always be waiting for the other shoe to fall. ]]

Agreed.

Which is why Israel should do the job.
They know just what is necessary.

All America has to do is stand by and provide a little support (refueling in air?).

Although I'm certain the brass in the military would support Israel, I doubt Obama would. He hates Israel and the Jews.

Otherwise, he would have signalled such support years ago.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2013, 12:25:12 am »
The Russians with Persia (now Iran) have had relations dating back to the Czars. They have always wanted a toe hold in this area and now they have it. The Russians sell billions of dollars worth of military equipment to Iran. The Iranians and Russians want to limit influence of the United States in Central Asia. Their trade has also increased. Russia was the seventh trading partner with Iran.

Very true. The Iranians also support the Uzbecks and Kazaks, though, both materially and with training (They are foul sods. PM me if you are interested and don't mind being sick to your stomach for several hours). Russians do not like or tolerate terrorism that close to home. One of the main reasons they are supporting Assad in Syria is that it acts as a magnet for their local Jihadis. Gets rid of them cleanly, without the Kremlin dirtying it's hands.

I'd put my money on another proxy war, should one happen, possibly Israel and Turkey acting in the US interest. I do doubt it will, though. Obama seems to be very good at blinking at the critical time in international dealings.

SPQR

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2013, 12:26:42 am »
[[ While I would be all in favor of carpet bombing Iran, I just do not trust Obama. I do not believe that he will go into it with American victory in mind. With Obama, everything is political and is always about him. I do not trust him and would not fight for him. Even if what he is doing seems to be right, I would always think there is another more sinister motive that he has in mind. With Obama, I would always be waiting for the other shoe to fall. ]]

Agreed.

Which is why Israel should do the job.
They know just what is necessary.

All America has to do is stand by and provide a little support (refueling in air?).

Although I'm certain the brass in the military would support Israel, I doubt Obama would. He hates Israel and the Jews.

Otherwise, he would have signalled such support years ago.

If the Israelis decide to attack Iran, it would be the largest logistical operation in history.

SPQR

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2013, 12:28:12 am »
Very true. The Iranians also support the Uzbecks and Kazaks, though, both materially and with training (They are foul sods. PM me if you are interested and don't mind being sick to your stomach for several hours). Russians do not like or tolerate terrorism that close to home. One of the main reasons they are supporting Assad in Syria is that it acts as a magnet for their local Jihadis. Gets rid of them cleanly, without the Kremlin dirtying it's hands.

I'd put my money on another proxy war, should one happen, possibly Israel and Turkey acting in the US interest. I do doubt it will, though. Obama seems to be very good at blinking at the critical time in international dealings.

I can agree to that.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2013, 12:35:57 am »
It would be a strange alliance.

The Turks and the Israelis have little in common, though the Kurds have a serious interest in their brothers in Iran and would probably be more than happy to deal with part of the problem in return for their own country. I can see Jordan joining the mix - they are not hugely fond of the idea of a nuclear Iran - and funding funneled through Saudi Arabia.

Now, in theory, if Turkey got involved, that would pull in the NATO countries, but it isn't something I'd count on. EU countries - yep. If there are less than 10k EU forces "advisors and trainers" in Turkey right now, I will eat my hat - without salt.

SPQR

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2013, 01:13:11 am »
It would be a strange alliance.

The Turks and the Israelis have little in common, though the Kurds have a serious interest in their brothers in Iran and would probably be more than happy to deal with part of the problem in return for their own country. I can see Jordan joining the mix - they are not hugely fond of the idea of a nuclear Iran - and funding funneled through Saudi Arabia.

Now, in theory, if Turkey got involved, that would pull in the NATO countries, but it isn't something I'd count on. EU countries - yep. If there are less than 10k EU forces "advisors and trainers" in Turkey right now, I will eat my hat - without salt.
This is Cold War 2.0. You have the Chinese,Russians,Iranians and possible North Koreans on one side and America on the other side. The Russians have repeatedly said if their was an attack by the U.S on Syria it would be an serious threat to Russian national security. The EU will not participate. The vote by the British Parliament whether to join the U.S in the proposed missile attack and voted down was a signal that the EU is not interested. 50 years of the Cold War with the Soviet Union and its former satellites was enough. The EU are on the verge of bankruptcy. if it was not for Germany the EU would of imploded long ago. Obama is not qualified to lead this new "Cold War"
« Last Edit: November 03, 2013, 01:32:23 am by SPQR »

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2013, 01:22:54 am »
Turkey and Israel have been fast allies until very recently with a surge of Islam there. They have regularly conducted joint drills and military operations.

Now, Israel has the dubious honor of supporting Assad against Al Queda. These Israeli 'strikes' that you hear about are Israel helping and protecting Assad. The last thing Israel wants is Al Queda in charge of Syria, and Eygpt, and Tunisa, and Yemen, et al. which is exactly opposite of what the Obama administration wants.

The "Arab Spring", which Obama is deeply involved in, was all about the caliphate. It was about using the U.S. military and U.S. political force in supporting and abetting the rise of fundamentalist Islam throughout the entire Middle East.

Forget about where Obama was born, or his Father, or his name, or his going to a religious Islamic school, or his quoting the Koran, or his growing up Muslim, forget all this. It is not about that. The point is about what he does, and what he is doing now. And that is supporting radical Islam. Valerie Jerrett is Iranian and by most reports runs over Obama as a mother would a child.

[size=78%]Given the daunting challenges that we face, it's important that president elect Obama is prepared to really [/size]take power and begin to rule[size=78%] day one.[/size]

The White House is no longer 'American'. It is run by incompetents and foreign nationals. There is no way to predict where we(America) go from here.

Americans feel that they are 'on their own'. Our allies feel abandoned and 'on their own'.

Where do we go from here? This is no longer America. This is no longer the world we once knew.

« Last Edit: November 03, 2013, 01:28:20 am by 240B »
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

SPQR

« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2013, 01:25:42 am »
Turkey and Israel have been fast allies until very recently with a surge of Islam there. They have regularly conducted joint drills and military operations.

Now, Israel has the dubious honor of supporting Assad against Al Queda. These Israeli 'strikes' that you hear about are Israel helping and protecting Assad. The last thing Israel wants is Al Queda in charge of Syria, and Eygpt, and Tunisa, and Yemen, et al. which is exactly opposite of what the Obama administration wants.

The "Arab Spring", which Obama is deeply involved in, was all about the caliphate. It was about using the U.S. military and U.S. political force in supporting and abetting the rise of fundamentalist Islam throughout the entire Middle East.

Forget about where Obama was born, or his Father, or his name, or his going to a religious Islamic school, or his quoting the Koran, or his growing up Muslim, forget all this. It is not about that. The point is about what he does, and what he is doing now. And that is supporting radical Islam. Valerie Jerrett is Iranian and by most reports runs over Obama as a mother would a child.

[size=78%]Given the daunting challenges that we face, it's important that president elect Obama is prepared to really [/size]take power and begin to rule[size=78%] day one.[/size]

The White House is no longer 'American'. It is run by incompetents and foreign nationals. There is no way to predict where we(America) goes from here.

Americans feel that they are 'on their own'. Our allies feel abandoned and 'on their own'.

Where do we go from here? This is no longer America. This is no longer the world we once knew.

Valerie Jarrett

Read more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/v/valerie_jarrett.html#0Z6jSBiwT1XVbkkA.99

The  Syrian war is already spreading to other countries

SPQR

« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2013, 01:40:03 am »
This is Cold War 2.0. You have the Chinese,Russians,Iranians and possible North Koreans on one side and America on the other side. The Russians have repeatedly said if their was an attack by the U.S on Syria it would be an serious threat to Russian national security. The EU will not participate. The vote by the British Parliament whether to join the U.S in the proposed missile attack and voted down was a signal that the EU is not interested. 50 years of the Cold War with the Soviet Union and its former satellites was enough. The EU are on the verge of bankruptcy. if it was not for Germany the EU would of imploded long ago. Obama is not qualified to lead this new "Cold War"

It was absolutely amazing that the British Parliament voted down the proposed missile strike. Usually they vote with the United States when it comes to major military action with foreign governments.This the proof that the Obama Administration is so ineffectual in world politics.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2013, 01:42:42 am by SPQR »

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2013, 02:04:30 am »
It was absolutely amazing that the British Parliament voted down the proposed missile strike. Usually they vote with the United States when it comes to major military action with foreign governments.This the proof that the Obama Administration is so ineffectual in world politics.

Not gigantically surprising - we got a mega case of war weariness. 

Welcome in BTW!

SPQR

« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2013, 06:15:15 am »
Not gigantically surprising - we got a mega case of war weariness. 

Welcome in BTW!

Thanks for the welcome. I think that 10 years in Afghanistan with a trillion dollar bill attached to it has not been worth it. Please do not get me wrong, I still support the troops there and a lot of my classmates has either returned or still stationed there and they are still my friends. I still contact them when they are off duty. We do not know how the new Afghanstani troops will react when we will be gone. We still have not fully purged the Taliban there. They are in Pakistan waiting for us to leave and take over the country again. Hamid Karzai is extremely under the sway of the Iranians. We cant even trust him.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2013, 06:21:15 am by SPQR »

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2013, 07:37:42 am »
Thanks for the welcome. I think that 10 years in Afghanistan with a trillion dollar bill attached to it has not been worth it. Please do not get me wrong, I still support the troops there and a lot of my classmates has either returned or still stationed there and they are still my friends. I still contact them when they are off duty. We do not know how the new Afghanstani troops will react when we will be gone. We still have not fully purged the Taliban there. They are in Pakistan waiting for us to leave and take over the country again. Hamid Karzai is extremely under the sway of the Iranians. We cant even trust him.

I wouldn't take it wrong. Sounds like you got a bunch of solid folk as your classmates.  :patriot:

I can tell you exactly what will happen in Afghanistan. Western soldiers pull out (way beyond time for that). The various warlords will fight for control, since the idea of democracy is not just foreign but downright odd to them. Some of the warlords will ally with an insurgent force, which can both motivate and control the people. In 10 years, the Taliban - or it's clone - will be running the country.

SPQR

« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2013, 08:04:31 am »
I wouldn't take it wrong. Sounds like you got a bunch of solid folk as your classmates.  :patriot:

I can tell you exactly what will happen in Afghanistan. Western soldiers pull out (way beyond time for that). The various warlords will fight for control, since the idea of democracy is not just foreign but downright odd to them. Some of the warlords will ally with an insurgent force, which can both motivate and control the people. In 10 years, the Taliban - or it's clone - will be running the country.

We squabble a lot about historical events but we are still a solid group