Author Topic: Feds Order School to Ban Packed Lunches Without Doctor’s Note...  (Read 781 times)

Offline Cincinnatus

Absolute madness. Just what are we Americans willing to accept?

A school in Richmond, Virginia is following federal government instructions by telling parents that they need to have a doctor’s note in order for their children to be allowed to bring packed lunches to school, another example of how the nanny state is encroaching via the public education system.

A letter featured on the website Momdot.com instructs parents that packed lunches must be accompanied with a physician’s note.

Dear Parents,

I have received word from Federal Programs Preschool pertaining to lunches from home. Parents are to be informed that students can only bring lunches from home if there is a medical condition requiring a specific diet, along with a physicians note to that regard.

I am sorry for any inconvenience. If you have any questions concerning this matter, please contact Stephanie [redacted] the Health Coordinator for Federal Programs Preschool at [redacted].

Thanks,

Ms. [redacted]
[a photocopy of the note can be seen at the link]

The letter also includes a handwritten note from a teacher which reads, “Ms Brooks, Please do not send a lunch to school unless a doctor’s note is sent in connection with this letter.” The identity of the school remains unknown, but it is situated in Richmond, Virginia.

The Federal Programs Preschool initiative is funded primarily by the Head Start Program, a Department of Health and Human Services scheme that provides education and nutritional support for children from low income families. Under Federal Programs Preschool, children are provided with breakfast, lunch and a snack...

This is not the only example of school lunches being banned. Chicago’s Little Village Academy public school mandates students eat at the cafeteria or go hungry. Only children with allergies and a doctor’s note are allowed to bring a packed lunch.

Many will see this as another form of creeping authoritarianism being introduced through the public education system, advancing the idea that the state and not parents have supreme authority over children.

http://www.redflagnews.com/headlines/feds-order-school-to-ban-packed-lunches-without-doctors-note [emphasis and disgust added]
« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 07:48:12 pm by Cincinnatus »
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Offline mountaineer

Re: Feds Order School to Ban Packed Lunches Without Doctor’s Note...
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2013, 10:51:43 pm »
If I had a child who received such a notice from a government school, I would ask my pediatrician to write the following: 

Please excuse little Johnny from school lunches. As his physician, I have decided he may eat only the lunches packed by his mother. Sadly, little Johnny is allergic to bureaucratic stupidity and banana republic-style dictatorships, and he requires a special diet of freedom, as exemplified by whatever his mother chooses for his lunch.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

rangerrebew

Re: Feds Order School to Ban Packed Lunches Without Doctor’s Note...
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2013, 11:42:22 pm »
If I had a child who received such a notice from a government school, I would ask my pediatrician to write the following: 

Please excuse little Johnny from school lunches. As his physician, I have decided he may eat only the lunches packed by his mother. Sadly, little Johnny is allergic to bureaucratic stupidity and banana republic-style dictatorships, and he requires a special diet of freedom, as exemplified by whatever his mother chooses for his lunch.

You might want to add "if little Johnny wants a condom, that's okay."  Oh, yeah, they don't need a parent's permission for that, do they? :nono: